Great Women

The Devil's Point

In 1990 Irish band A House released a song called Endless Art, The song names many of the greatest artists of all time i.e Artists, novelists, composers etc. It's a great song but there was a bit of an outcry when it was realised there was not one female mentioned in the song. To redress this, they then wrote and released More Endless Art which is all Great Women. So for a list of great women in art you won't get much better.

"Further controversy broke out late in 2012 over reports of a proposal to remove her from the National Curriculum."

Michael feckin Gove, no doubt. Grrrrrrrrr.

Do you have to politicise every thread? Gove is at least a Scot. When he was four months old, he was adopted and raised by Labour supporting parents. In practice, a Secretary of State would not intervene on such details. The decision would have been taken by a senior civil servant. But don't let the facts stop you have another idiotic and puerile rant rather than contributing to the topic.

Do you have to politicise every thread? Gove is at least a Scot. When he was four months old, he was adopted and raised by Labour supporting parents. In practice, a Secretary of State would not intervene on such details. The decision would have been taken by a senior civil servant. But don't let the facts stop you have another idiotic and puerile rant rather than contributing to the topic.

I made that post with tongue firmly in cheek, but please don't let that prevent you from continuing to be an object of derision across this message board.

I made that post with tongue firmly in cheek, but please don't let that prevent you from continuing to be an object of derision across this message board.

I'm only derided by self-aggrandising narcissists who think that they know everything.

So the senior civil service are running the country and not taking their orders from a government minister. Interesting fact.

So the senior civil service are running the country and not taking their orders from a government minister. Interesting fact.

That's not what I said.

Secretaries of State devolve specific responsibilities to junior Ministers, i.e. Ministers of State and Parliamentary Under-Secretaries. Ministers do not have the time to micro-manage every aspect of their department's activities/operations. They have a considerable Parliamentary (Bill Committees, votes, MPs' questions etc) and constituency workloads too.

Ministers must therefore trust their civil servants to implement their policies effectively - i.e. take the right decisions on details such as the content of the national curriculum. The Minister of State for Schools, including the national curriculum, is David Laws MP, a Liberal Democrat.

Those are the real facts.

That's not what I said.

Secretaries of State devolve specific responsibilities to junior Ministers, i.e. Ministers of State and Parliamentary Under-Secretaries. Ministers do not have the time to micro-manage every aspect of their department's activities/operations. They have a considerable Parliamentary (Bill Committees, votes, MPs' questions etc) and constituency workloads too.

Ministers must therefore trust their civil servants to implement their policies effectively - i.e. take the right decisions on details such as the content of the national curriculum. The Minister of State for Schools, including the national curriculum, is David Laws MP, a Liberal Democrat.

Those are the real facts.

Thanks for clarifying. Can't fault the above but, at risk of sounding like a pedantic p****, my response was based on your response to Blackpool Jag; which, to my mind, suggests that the SCS have some form of enhanced role within the democratic process.

Talking of micro-management, or should that be fire-fighting, what exactly is IDS doing with welfare reform (the one he was warned might not work due to the complexity of the benefits system and crap IT)? But maybe I'm going off at a tangent.

^ My initial response was a short summary of current practice, i.e. civil servants often take administrative decisions without requiring Ministerial approval. If they exceed their authority, the Minister or Permanent Secretary will take appropriate action. Tbh, I know nothing about the government's welfare reforms.

Going back to great women, I would put Boudicca and Aung San Suu Kyi on the list.

• 4 weeks later...