New Local Rivalry?

danish jag

Well, I've heard it all now in the never ending bizarre world of Scottish football administrators.

Here we have an under 17s boys club whose support consists of mums and dads and mates on the touchline. They have no ground and play at various parks.

I dare say they will cobble together a mens team and a wee enclosure somewhere, but what's the point?

They are now in the 5th tier of Scottish football and are one promotion away from replacing a Queen's Park or a Clyde or a Stirling Albion.

I'm all for replacing dead in the water no hopers with freshly invigorated clubs. But I fail to see how the likes of the above scenario achieves this.

Bizarre.

Well, I've heard it all now in the never ending bizarre world of Scottish football administrators.

Here we have an under 17s boys club whose support consists of mums and dads and mates on the touchline. They have no ground and play at various parks.

I dare say they will cobble together a mens team and a wee enclosure somewhere, but what's the point?

They are now in the 5th tier of Scottish football and are one promotion away from replacing a Queen's Park or a Clyde or a Stirling Albion.

I'm all for replacing dead in the water no hopers with freshly invigorated clubs. But I fail to see how the likes of the above scenario achieves this.

Bizarre.

Ahh but the tennis world needs a football team

On the face of it, this really seems to add nothing of value to the senior game. Strange decision.

Question should be put to the juniors why they didnt apply and allowed a team like BSC to succeed in getting in. Fair play to BSC for showing more ambition and courage than the lot of the juniors put together. Time to leave the dinosaurs behind.

• Like 2

Question should be put to the juniors why they didnt apply and allowed a team like BSC to succeed in getting in. Fair play to BSC for showing more ambition and courage than the lot of the juniors put together. Time to leave the dinosaurs behind.

Why should the junior clubs apply? They have their own set up which has been going a hell of a lot longer than the lowland league.

Slightly off topic but why don't bigger Junior teams want to give the SPFL a go? Pollok for example.

There are many reasons for this.

Firstly, the bigger junior clubs are quite happy to remain big fish in the small pond. They would argue that there's more money to be made that way.

Secondly, under current rules many of these clubs would be forced to spend money bringing their grounds up to standard. Money they simply don't have and something they would view as an unnecessary expense.

And, quite simply - pride. The junior clubs are proud of their set up. It has existed for over a hundred years and they aren't prepared to be simply swallowed up by the senior set up and lose the power of self determination that they have now. You more than anyone should identify with this Gizzy.

On the face of it, this really seems to add nothing of value to the senior game. Strange decision.

I disagree - what it adds is a model that has been highly successful in Spain - grass roots Community based Clubs managed and run by Fans /Parents with multi sports bringing players through simply -Broomhill have hundreds of kids playing and competing at other Sports - it gives a pyramid structure that some day they will play for there first team at Senior level - for the kids who are not very good at Football there is opportunities in other Sports - in essence no Child is left behind .Our current Club model in Scotland has failed miserably - time for something different. The vast majority of Clubs in Spain are multi sports based- where you can learn from each sport and transfer knowledge - it gives a far better support structure.

Edited by Jordanhill Jag
  • Like 1

Does the Lowland league teams qualify for the Scottish and/or League cup??

League Cup is strictly SPFL 42.

Scottish Cup is now a right old mixture with loads of eligibilty possibilities. Full SFA membership guarantees entry. Virtually all of the Lowland League clubs have this. EK have only just been granted such status. They will play, for the first time, in next seasons Scottish Cup. BSC will be hoping to follow in their footsteps and achieve the same status and will probably get it some time a year from now. As far as I read it, they won't be in the Scottish Cup for 2014-15.

Edited by The Jukebox Rebel

Slightly off topic but why don't bigger Junior teams want to give the SPFL a go? Pollok for example.

Give the Juniors time , the lowland league is only 1 year old. Next seasonthe winners of it and the highland league playoff to replace the bottom of the 3rd div. Once this is a reality some of the more forward thinkign junior clubs may take a punt and join.

The bigger team (pollock, auchinleck etc) dont want to budge but you might see a clydebank join the set up

Would love to see the Bankies get back in after the vile ending which their fans had to endure at the hands of Airdrie. I'm surprised they're not banging down the door, thirsting for on pitch revenge.

They were never the best supported club but, even now, they have a noisier, bigger and more passionate support than any of these Lowland jokers.

From what I can gather, Clydebank are still pulling 400. Took nearly 4,000 to Rugby Park a few years ago.

The majority of Lowland League attendances are two figures. Even the champions, Spartans, dip below 100. They average between 150-200. There's usually more players than punters at a Stirling Uni home game. Two figure crowds are also normal in the Highland League. The best supported clubs average in the 200s.

The fact that the door is wide open to some of these clubs is madness. Frankly, without the big junior clubs we don't have a viable fifth tier. It should therefore be done away with until such times as the juniors have had some proper time to consult, cost and discuss.

Meantime, we don't need these minnows dragging the attractiveness of the SPFL backwards.

Bottom of the SPFL applies for re-election. Any ambitious up and coming clubs apply for election. Simple solution.

Would love to see the Bankies get back in after the vile ending which their fans had to endure at the hands of Airdrie. I'm surprised they're not banging down the door, thirsting for on pitch revenge.

They were never the best supported club but, even now, they have a noisier, bigger and more passionate support than any of these Lowland jokers.

They'll never admit it, but I reckon a lot of bankies fans are thankful now. All Airdrie United did was speed up the inevitable, I don't think there's any doubt they would have gone to the wall anyway. Clydebank had lost nearly all their supporters and the club had been on death row for years.

Starting again in the juniors was probably the best route for the club at that point. It meant they could start playing home games in the town again and re-connect with the community. Many of the fans you speak to now are perfectly happy in the junior set up and have no desire to re-enter the senior game.

• Like 1

I am I right in thinking all Highland and Lowland (former East and South of Scotland) League teams have / had "Senior" status, kinda similar to all SPFL clubs? And that, prior to the admission of certain elite Junior clubs, they all had automatic early qualifying rights to the Scottish Cup?

Stadium criteria for any clubs granted "Senior" status, in my opinion, should mean a bit more than a clubhouse and a roped off open playing field. Certainly up to around 20 years or so ago, or even more recently, most Junior teams had something resembling a 3 or 4 sided enclosed playing field which could reasonably be described as a stadium, unlike some of their "Senior" counterparts.

Yep, Highland and Lowland League clubs are all classed as seniors. Although there's no promotion / relegation between the 5th and 6th tiers, we've actually got seven tiers in Scottish football, all of which are classed as seniors.

Full SFA membership status does guarantee Scottish Cup participation but it's never automotically been given to teams in these Leagues.

Quite a few of the East of Scotland sides have never had it. They need to apply for it and need to meet certain criteria.

From Tier 5, all 18 Highland League clubs have it. 12 of the 14 Lowland League clubs now have it, all bar Stirling University and BSC Glasgow.

Interestingly, Lothian Thistle (a non member) have just won the East of Scotland Premier League (Tier 6) which gives them one of the "special achievement" Scottish Cup places for next season.