Connected/disconnected

thechangingman

Im 42 and have been going to firhill since before i was at school, and never in that time have i felt less connected to the club than i do now. Even though i could afford to, decided not to re-new my season ticket, would prefer to choose what games i see , as i didnt have that same saturday morning going to the match buzz i used to have, partly because the current squad doesnt really bode well for the upcoming season, some aging old pros and a few kids with potential, maybe,but is that enough, management seems all a bit to cosy for me , jobs for the boys , all on the cheap probably, and needing a shake up and change of direction. Its the board though thats finaaly done it for me , the stadium is a mess and the reasons why have been discussed at length but the blame is on them.A signing policy that leaves players unsigned till the eve of the season is unacceptable and no real transfer budget i know times are tough but these guys are where they are due to thier business no how and financial accumen surely one of them can come up with a way forward , this only my opinion and i know people will say well p1ss off then , and i really hope that its only me that has got to this point.

I'm with you on this Changingman. I've never been so uninterested in the club than now. The pre-season is usually quite exciting and gets you set for a new season with a bit of that nasty rumour and speculation and a few new players to go and see. This pre-season was as predictable as could be and we have started the new season pretty much where we left off the last one.

The BoD ran out of ideas years ago. The only way we will see any change within the thinking of how the club is run is if Coco and his cohort are gone as far as I'm concerned. I do believe we have people with a bit of vision and certainly the business acumen on the board but they will have no chance in doing anything while the current Chairman and the former Chairman remain. The fans, what little we have left, have no faith whatsoever in these people and it has slowly been eating away at the club we love for years now. Change at the top is a must or the slide and the apathy will continue to gather pace. If these people were as 'Thistle-minded' as they say they are they must surely realise this?

I'm think I'm gonna go on Saturday. Usually I'd be buzzing about a game like this, but today I have little to no enthusiasm about it in the slightest. The people who are running our club into the deck are to thank for this for their years of failure.

Edited by Vom Itorium

Im 42 and have been going to firhill since before i was at school, and never in that time have i felt less connected to the club than i do now. Even though i could afford to, decided not to re-new my season ticket, would prefer to choose what games i see , as i didnt have that same saturday morning going to the match buzz i used to have, partly because the current squad doesnt really bode well for the upcoming season, some aging old pros and a few kids with potential, maybe,but is that enough, management seems all a bit to cosy for me , jobs for the boys , all on the cheap probably, and needing a shake up and change of direction. Its the board though thats finaaly done it for me , the stadium is a mess and the reasons why have been discussed at length but the blame is on them.A signing policy that leaves players unsigned till the eve of the season is unacceptable and no real transfer budget i know times are tough but these guys are where they are due to thier business no how and financial accumen surely one of them can come up with a way forward , this only my opinion and i know people will say well p1ss off then , and i really hope that its only me that has got to this point.

No they won't, your feelings echo those of many. There are a lot of reasons why going to the football ia not what it once was but you highlight most of the 'Thistle related reasons'. I have decided to try to seperate the two issues, my support for the team and enjoying the games versus the concern and anger at the state our Club is in, hoping that gets me through this season.

Tough times :(

I couldn't agree more and to be frank I'm relieved that it isn't just me who is feeling this strange feeling of disconnect. As a Jag's supporter I'm used to mentally having to accept less than perfect displays on the park. However, I must confess that I find it hard to psyche myself up for a season that not only will we have a smaller squad than last year, but one of even less potential. In other words the best we can hope for is standing still, not exactly a clincher for going along to Firhill is it?

Not saying i disagree with many of the things said above. What if the board had made funds available and MCcall went on a spending spree and bought some useful looking signings. Then what if they did a Dundee and threw the championship away. Would that make us more disjointed at the club or would we all be rallying round the players and management et al saying hard lines. Would we feck, we would be shouting for more money to be pumped into the team to make sure we went up. I know its tough but the fact is we have no money, no sugar daddy and no one seeming to want to invest and tbh why should anyone invest in a football team its like throwing money down the drain. In my opinion if i was able to invest i doubt i would when fans are staying away, i'd maybe invest a little to see if they came back but there is no way i would part with serious dosh if fans were staying away in their hundreds / thousands

seems that its not only me , really neeeded to get that off my chest, and i didnt want to create a sack the board thread.

To be honest i would sit in a sh1t stadium with an inept board if we were winning regularly , which i cant see happening soon . Like most on here when i talk about Thistle i say we and us because to me we were all in a oneness but that feeling is slowly fading and god only knows what it will take to get it back .

I just want to say my peice on this, someone earlier mentioned that they want money to be pumped into the club, yet the club haven't broke even in around 5 years, why is this? ecuase they HAVE had decent budgets, signed crap players and with not winning or showing anything in entertainment the fans have left, so now with the hardcore siting about moaning at the fact the board is crap, sack the board etc, you have to look and see for the first time can remember the crowd last night was under 1000 people, yes come saturday we will se how many turn up then but look carefully and see how many Dundee fans there is. We do not regularly break 3500 which is our break even mark from last season.

This isn't one of these posts to say it's the fans fault we are this bad because in the end it isn't but when people are moaning about lack of investment look at the amount of potential income have drifted away for one reason or another. If these people stayed, all be it it would have been out of blind loyalty, then we could be in a different position to the one we are in right now

I was at the game last night and thoroughly enjoyed myself. Yes, I was totally exasperated by some of the stuff on display - why, when you're trying to kill the game in the last few minutes do you keep giving the ball to the opposition? - but I remember thinking even when we were 1-0 down and everyone around me was getting all het up as the team looked like coming apart in front of us - this is great! blood pressure's up, heart's pounding, I'm shouting 'advice' to those numpties in red and yellow (VERY bright red and yellow, it has to be said) - and I'm having a great time. There aren't too many opportunities in our staid world these days to feel that kind of engagement with something. Okay, it's probably just me, but when I'm watching Thistle I don't give a fcuk who's on the board or whether the ground is lop-sided or whatever. Can't wait for Saturday!