Celtic Park Revisit

thornwoodjag

So long ago now I can't remember that exact ruling, but, I seem to remember it was you had to be interfering with play whereas nowadays you are seeking to gain an advantage by being in an offside position. I would argue that Roddy wasn't interfering with play (wasn't trying to connect with the ball and wasn't in it's path), so the goal should have stood.

You'd think these two phrases actually meant the same thing but actually under the old rule you might not be trying to take part in play but if you were in an area where being there could distract the defence you were offside. That basically meant (usually - there is always referee interpretation) you had to be well out of the way from the action to be deemed not interfering with play. Now the idea of seeking advantage supposedly means as long as you don't move you are not offside - even if you are standing in front of the goalkeeper, blocking his view and his movement. At least that seems to be the way referees interpret it nowadays, at least for the big teams.

Edited by Mr Bunny

You'd think these two phrases actually meant the same thing but actually under the old rule you might not be trying to take part in play but if you were in an area where being there could distract the defence you were offside. That basically meant (usually - there is always referee interpretation) you had to be well out of the way from the action to be deemed not interfering with play. Now the idea of seeking advantage supposedly means as long as you don't move you are not offside - even if you are standing in front of the goalkeeper, blocking his view and his movement. At least that seems to be the way referees interpret it nowadays, at least for the big teams.

Was it Hearts or St Johnstone playing at McDiarmid had a goal allowed almost identical to what would have been Higgy's first (in Dingwall)? Ours was overruled under the interfering with play thingy? Personally I'd like the "interfering with play" rule to be used more often and more widely but it's the usual bugbear, consistency. I do tho' have a modicum of sympathy for refs in this particular situation.

Btw It would have no point the referee up at Dingwall having a word with his assistant ref. I heard he was a linesman for the county. Sorry! Carry on :)

I don't think the word boycott really applies but I wouldn't go to Dens Pk or Cappielow, if there was nothing at stake.

Quite a lot of discussion about the "boycott" on the closed Facebook page: the "we're not going because Celtic are money-grabbing b*******" thread. The discussion has actually been very adult and there is a consensus view that we're being royally ripped off by the footballing-wing of the IRA (something wrong with that last statement but given the peers of the realm that are involved at Parkhead, perhaps it reflects how they've come to prominence as Glasgow's main establishment club. Or maybe I'm just confused). Anyway, a few of us are of the mind that we're going to go to support the team on what will be a difficult night. We've agreed to disagree on this one...