Well Done Andy Murray Beats Both Nadal And Federer

jaggybunnet

Excellent. How long before he wins a major ?

I think the term is "Slam" rather than a major ;)

He's done really well in the Slams this year, and poorly in the Masters tournaments until his win in Toronto.

I think he'll put up another good showing in the US open in a few weeks. The psychological boost that he'll get from beating both Nadal and Fed will be good for him, especially beating Fed in a final.

I think he's got too good a game to not win a slam before his career is over, but he needs to get his head sorted. It's certainly not his lack of ability that's holding him back!

I think the term is "Slam" rather than a major ;)

He's done really well in the Slams this year, and poorly in the Masters tournaments until his win in Toronto.

I think he'll put up another good showing in the US open in a few weeks. The psychological boost that he'll get from beating both Nadal and Fed will be good for him, especially beating Fed in a final.

I think he's got too good a game to not win a slam before his career is over, but he needs to get his head sorted. It's certainly not his lack of ability that's holding him back!

I'm not sure how important a coach is at that level. Federer went a while recently without one. Its not as if he needs to be taught any new shots and he still has his fitness team and other players who he can practise with. He also seems a pretty level headed guy despite the image he has been stuck with. It seems to have calmed him down on court which is a good sign. Maybe too many people telling you different tactics can affect you mentally?

Anyway it was a great win and fingers crossed for the open. Cmon andy!

I'm not sure how important a coach is at that level. Federer went a while recently without one. Its not as if he needs to be taught any new shots and he still has his fitness team and other players who he can practise with. He also seems a pretty level headed guy despite the image he has been stuck with. It seems to have calmed him down on court which is a good sign. Maybe too many people telling you different tactics can affect you mentally?

Anyway it was a great win and fingers crossed for the open. Cmon andy!

Federer is the exception though when it came to having a coach, i'm sure i've heard that he's actually taking one on now.

It certainly seems to have freed Murray up slightly, as he was playing more aggressively adainst Nalbandian and Nadal which helped him. That's fine when you're playing well and winning matches and Masters events. As soon as his performances drop it he may start to think about getting another coach.

Federer is the exception though when it came to having a coach, i'm sure i've heard that he's actually taking one on now.

It certainly seems to have freed Murray up slightly, as he was playing more aggressively adainst Nalbandian and Nadal which helped him. That's fine when you're playing well and winning matches and Masters events. As soon as his performances drop it he may start to think about getting another coach.

I think you're right. I think after the US open he will look seriously for someone for the following season. Just doesn't need the distraction just now, a new coach coming in with new ideas 2 weeks before his biggest tournament of the year

I think you're right. I think after the US open he will look seriously for someone for the following season. Just doesn't need the distraction just now, a new coach coming in with new ideas 2 weeks before his biggest tournament of the year

Indeed. I think this is turning out to be the ideal opportunity for Murray to win a Grand Slam event.

He seems to be hitting form at the right time after struggling for so long, and he's actually played his best tennis in the slams so far this year so that is promising. Federer does seem, on the face of it, to be on the wane slightly so that is a bonus for him.

Ideally he'll want the draw to work as it has in Cincinnatti with Fed and Nadal on the one side and him on the other with Djokovic. I quite fancy him to win it this year and would actually prefer it if he were to go out of the Cincinnatti masters early to give him more prep time.

• 1 year later...

I always thougt that winning ALL the majors in the same year constitued a Grand Slam.

I understand that to be correct. Like golf, there are 4(?) major, or 'Grand Slam', tennis events on the calendar: ie winning all the majors in one season constitutes achieving a Grand Slam - unless, of course you're Shagger Woods who laid (fnarr fnarr) claim to the covetous attribution by virtue of holding 4 major titles simultaneously, if not in the same calendar year.

For punters and pundits alike to now call majors 'slams' is really a lazy and ignorantly applied use of the term: 4 major titles achieved in one single season (pending arbitrary judgement on the TW situation as described above) equals a 'Grand Slam'.

Em, that's it.

Andrew "Dr Robotnik" Murray was once defeated at Dowanhill Lawn Tennis Club by my former Scotsport associate, Andy "Main Man" Walker. Murray was DEEPLY upset with the result and after shedding MANY tears of HUMILIATION, attempted to jump the Main Man on his way out of the club! He was UTTERLY dismantled, as Jim Delahunt had been waiting for Big Chief Walker outside so they could go and get pished oot their coupons and reminisce about days of old. A swift Delahunt brogue to the ribs did the damage, and wee sacks Murray was left making the Trendy West End look UNTIDY! Phew!