Scouts And Guides

The Devil's Point

When I was a cub, I got promoted to be a Scout. And I made this promise;

On my honour, I promise that I will do my best

To do my duty to God and to the Queen,

To help other people

And to keep the Scout Law

And in the draughty halls of the time, we all formed protrols. We went training to Auchingillan (or however you spell it - you know the place near Carbeth). And over time our pack got pretty good (we could of kicked the shit out of any other scout troop in the country at the time), but it was basically pretty pointless.

It was the last link to the war. I'm 43 and saw the very end of it. You didn't miss much.

First Glasgow.

When I was a cub, I got promoted to be a Scout. And I made this promise; On my honour, I promise that I will do my best To do my duty to God and to the Queen, To help other people And to keep the Scout Law And in the draughty halls of the time, we all formed protrols. We went training to Auchingillan (or however you spell it - you know the place near Carbeth). And over time our pack got pretty good (we could of kicked the shit out of any other scout troop in the country at the time), but it was basically pretty pointless. It was the last link to the war. I'm 43 and saw the very end of it. You didn't miss much. First Glasgow.

I was in the First Glasgow and I don't remember kicking the shit out of anyone - must have toughened up after I left.

I was in the First Glasgow and I don't remember kicking the shit out of anyone - must have toughened up after I left.

Well, at least it wasn't you then.

I remember under Sandy Clark we did something like 15 games without a win. I was at one of the last ones, I think we finally beat Morton 3 1 and I had to go to Auchangillan straight after it. We had to play some crazy night soldiers game and I got a pure doing.

The Scouts was mental, it was just another experience of bullying after school. It was militaristic and left scars.

The idea behind it is sound, and the spirit of adventure will always better the dull discipline of the Boys Brigade. It was just at that time, things were a lot more brutal than they are today. They had to be, if you'd lived through the war.

And so yes, I still promise to do my best.

And do my duty to God and to the Queen :innocent2:

And I know when Jaggernaught has digested his sushie, and has waken us up in realtime, he will accuse us Scouts of being British Nationalists.

Well, yes Ladies and Gentlemen, I am proud to come on and say I am a British Nationalist.

Churchill always had a glass of 90 year old sherry at his bedside, not that that has anything to do with anything.

But just like Lambie came from Harthill, Roosevelt only came into the war because of Winston.

Lambie made the pigeons fly over the Forth Bridge like Churhill put up the spitfires over The Channel.

And I know when Jaggernaught has digested his sushie, and has waken us up in realtime, he will accuse us Scouts of being British Nationalists.

Well, yes Ladies and Gentlemen, I am proud to come on and say I am a British Nationalist.

Churchill always had a glass of 90 year old sherry at his bedside, not that that has anything to do with anything.

But just like Lambie came from Harthill, Roosevelt only came into the war because of Winston.

Lambie made the pigeons fly over the Forth Bridge like Churhill put up the spitfires over The Channel.

Nah, children are naive, and get fed what their parents and the establishment want them to believe.

Life Boys and the BB for me. Thoroughly enjoyed them, except for the churchy bit and parades. 221st Glasgow, at good old Cleddans School in the Drum.

Scouts had almost nothing to do with church or I'd not have been there.

BB was very religion based.

I remember in the scouts some posh twat put my Thistle scarf in the toilet so I got his jacket and popped in the urinal and pished on it. Kind of felt bad about it but then he started pulling everyones trunks down in the swmiming pool and realised he was a deviant.

Another posh twat punched me in the face and I had a tooth removed after it went black. Years later I got my revenge when delivering the mail to his house in Anniesland- well let's just say quite a bit of his mail didn't make it through the letterbox.

Great days, loved it. Saturday night they just opened the hall and we played footie all night

'British Bulldog' was the most mental game. Basically just one half of the troop at one end of the hall and one half at the other, then charging into each other and having a massive battle.

Aye, it was a great way to get brought up.

Not an official game, but in Primary 6 and 7 we used to play at "Spitfires." This basically meant everybody spreading their arms out wide and running about making a sound like an aeroplane, and gobbing on whoever came into sight. After playtime when everybody went back into class they were covered head to toe in greasy spit! Teachers were horrified, and the game was eventually outlawed. Killjoys!

'British Bulldog' was the most mental game. Basically just one half of the troop at one end of the hall and one half at the other, then charging into each other and having a massive battle.

Aye, it was a great way to get brought up.

Usually birds v the animals for games and competitions: Puffins, Falcons and Eagles v. Wolves, Badgers (mine) and Stags

British bulldogs was more one guy v the rest to start up. Usually started with some fearsome beast.

Lots of Thistle fans in the troop- used to all meet up at games and stand with Johnny Beattie's son (he was in our troop) at the city end, cos he was quite cool.

Not an official game, but in Primary 6 and 7 we used to play at "Spitfires." This basically meant everybody spreading their arms out wide and running about making a sound like an aeroplane, and gobbing on whoever came into sight. After playtime when everybody went back into class they were covered head to toe in greasy spit! Teachers were horrified, and the game was eventually outlawed. Killjoys!

Erries.

BB for me, early stages was just so I could play for the football team. Later stages was for banter and drinking sessions afterwards.

Joined the scouts first, but it was a bunch of weirdos and never went back. Joined is maybe the wrong word...

Yes it all was a bit churchy, I remember people trying to convince me to go to Sunday school on, funnily enough Sunday morning. It was a tough decision whether to lie in bed sleeping followed by a mammoth GTA/ProEv session or be bored to death surrounded by old people and young people who's parents forced them to go... Bed and gaming won.

What about 'knifey'

Knifey?

I remember chalk rugby and chariots!

Our coming of age holiday was a jamboree in Abergavenny in Wales. 93 I think, our group of Venture Scouts were all about 17. Think I turned 17 on the last day. It was bedlam from start to finish.

My mum n dad met us off the train in Central. Said I came back a different person.

It cemented my relationship with my two best mates.

Knifey?

I remember chalk rugby and chariots!

Our coming of age holiday was a jamboree in Abergavenny in Wales. 93 I think, our group of Venture Scouts were all about 17. Think I turned 17 on the last day. It was bedlam from start to finish.

My mum n dad met us off the train in Central. Said I came back a different person.

It cemented my relationship with my two best mates.

Knifey involved throwing a knife to the outside of your opponents foot. If the knife stuck in the ground they moved their foot their. To close their legs they had to throw the knife into the ground between your legs and so on until someone was doing the splits. Obviously the sharper and heavier the knife the better!

• 1 month later...

14th Glasgow Scouts, really loved it, great time, what with "No Mans Land" "British Bulldogs" and an other fun game (don't remember what it was called) where you made a circle with one person in the middle birling round a rope with a double bar of soap on the end, he would call out either up or down and you had to jump over it or duck under.