Archie's Reaction

yoda-jag

just seen these i have .....

simply not good enough says archibald on ptfc.co.uk

took consolation from second half display on bbc

not one word about his selection, and why he started with stevenson up top and no dools or taylor.

after today, i would have thought it would have been wise for archie to hold his hands up and admit, what every single supporter who paid to see the game today knew from before a ball was kicked, he got it wrong today with his first eleven.

he can go on about players not doing their job or whatever, and even with justification, but to not address the glaring question on the lips of every thistle supporter, that was being repeated from 2pm when the team was announced, is poor show imo.

he could have answered such a question with " i set the team out in same shape and players as close to what we had last time we played them, because it worked then ". that very response was what many were predicting archie would come out with, around me at the game and in the pub afterwards.

but as many pointed out during and after the game today, that was an away game, on a pitch that was an infinitely better playing surface, and where yogi hughes would have known when he got the teamsheet today exactly how we were going to play and how to counteract it, as no way jose was he going to let his team get mortalled again. added to that, we had been playing better with stevenson behind the striker, and we had the added bonus of now having taylor, a player who bullies defenders and can hold them off ..... as he ably demonstrated in the second half with his goal. and yet we started with neither taylor or doolan, and archie chose to not mention why after the game.

i am no archie hater ..... check my posting history if your memory is unsure ..... but tonight, i have lost a degree of belief in and respect for archie, with his team selection today. from the discussions i have had with other jags at the game and in pub afterwards, i am not alone in that. and that is sad.

i want archie to succeed, shut up the booboys and naysayers and ones who revel in our defeats and who are only truly happy when they are stirring up trouble when we aren't doing well ..... but when we put out that first eleven when we had better options and everyone in the support sees that and knows that and are bemused at it, and archie doesn't even address that basic fact .....

eta ..... just rereading this post, see i put "positions" when i meant to type "players" in fourth paragraph, so edited to correct this inadvertent error.

Edited by yoda-jag
  • Like 6

Well said.

There's nothing wrong with him saying he got it wrong today - and it would show us he knows what to do to rectify it.

Does this mean we can expect hoof-the-ball for the rest of the campaign, and hope two teams play worse until the end?

agreed. i am not looking to hang draw and quarter the guy. the loss of belief and respect i have experienced today would have been tempered by an acknowledgement "sorry, i cocked it up, got it wrong, my fault, will learn from it and address it". it's the complete absence of anything relating to the team selection in his post match comments, a team selection that every thistle supporter i interacted with today questioned, that has made me make my original post. no other reason or agenda. (and if he did comment and ptfc and bbc have chosen not to print the reason or answer, then apologies to archie).

i hope not. if it is, my season ticket may not get used so much (no home games missed yet) and my away trips reduced (missed four or five at most so far), i know i won't be alone (less than three thousand today (return of taylor, good chance of quarter finals, tickets at £15 and £5 entry) is another indicator of that).

Edited by yoda-jag

We got a lift after Taylor's individual goal. We were still really poor until that point.

It would be widely inaccurate to say that we worked our way back into the game with good play or "a reaction".

I wonder at times what game AA and SP are watching.

The only players that got pass marks from me was Elliott and Taylor. The rest were stinking again, Bannigan especially. Even Frans and Seabourne have lost it.

cheers archie thanks for loosing us the game today by your non selections. we all get a lift ,players ,fans , he,s back taylor and he,s on the bench , and there to keep to him company is our 4 goal scoring hero doolan . yogi bear must have thought christmas had come early. not one fan would have started with that 11 to day..............

The mans clearly delusional and incapable of admitting he got it wrong.

It takes a big man to admit their mistakes and the pish he's come out with is poor in my opinion.

Why didn't Taylor start the game Archie? And did you tell the team to play the long ball? And if you didn't, why did you not instruct them to stop doing it?

I have no insight into football management never having been involved at any level, so by and large I am unwilling to criticise in an area at which I have no real insight. However, today's first half was a shower of sh*te from front to back. No strikers, precious little midfield and I'm increasingly coming to the conclusion that Frans talks a significantly better game than he plays. There were signs of improvement in the second half, but not enough for my liking.

If Archibald wants to be a manager he has to pull the finger out over the next 4 games, and prove he can do the business. It's coming up for two years. Time to sh*t or get off the pot.

I don't think I've ever agreed with Archie's team selection. With McNamara I often picked the same team. I have also never criticized Archie for his team selection, if he puts out a player then I think it is that players responsibility to play well, not the managers. So I am usually reluctant to comment on Archie, he's doing a good job. But a few tweeks and he could be doing a great job and I think that's where frustrations come in.

Stevenson has to play behind a striker. Whether it is Doolan or Taylor doesn't matter, but he has to be in midfield. Taylor is now our first choice in my opinion. Bannigan has been poor for 90% of this season, too negative, too slow. Osman does Bannigan's job, so either Bannigan needs to play more attack minded like a couple of years ago or else he needs to stop playing.

Also, Fraser is an exceptional talent. His position is central midfield, not attacking midfield. His goals come from running forward late and finding space, not from being constantly up there. He has to play with Osman. I am a fan of Bannigan but he needs bench time to regain any fire he used to have.

How much could we of done with a fit Welsh today?

• Like 2

Don't understand this persistence on playing Stevenson up front he just started a decen run of form playing in his best position ? 2 good strikers on the bench why play a midfielder there baffling ! As others have said higgy needs a week or 2 out the team looks distracted to me ! Why do we always play the same formation ? I'm sure the 2 nd half when Doolan came on today was the first time we have had 2 strikers on the park at the same time. Bannigan and osman seem like they can do no wrong I'm a fan of both but I'd like to see 1 of them out the team for Fraser ! Also be good give mcdaid a wee run while Higgys out of form

jesus wept. then the baby jesus and the orphans wept. we are going down. second half we improved but over all I have watched better pub teams.

Bannigan needs to be reminded the opposition goal is the other way.

Archie needs reminded without strikers you will not score goals

how can you start a game with Dools and Taylor on the bench?

Celtic on wednesday. no more Levien.

442 at least