Christie Elliott

Hankey

Did anybody else see 3 players let the county player play the one two for the third goal. Not just elliott.

Your opinion might change once you've seen the highlights. He's the player who fails to track Fraser, even when it becomes apparent the right back's about to pick up the ball in a dangerous area. He just trots behind him. Doesn't even break into a run.

Your opinion might change once you've seen the highlights. He's the player who fails to track Fraser, even when it becomes apparent the right back's about to pick up the ball in a dangerous area. He just trots behind him. Doesn't even break into a run.

Was at fault for both second & third goals.

The third goal they a few bust a gut to get back- including Higgy- but just naive defending (& that's being kind).

Edited by Bleeding Gums Murphy

I'll take your word for it,not seen replays,just remember three of us round their 1 player and none of them tracking him all the way. Seemed unfair to blame elliot at the time. While we are on it,can a question be asked of Gallacher at third goal,looked a tight angle to be beaten from.

Elliot has played well at times this season, including chipping in a number of goals. But don't let that get in the way of your vitriol.

So you would rather have players with talent who can't be arsed would you? Plenty of targets out there today ahead of Elliot.

Try the rest of the midfield and central defence if you need some pointers.

Yes I would because they wouldn't sell two goals with school boy passes.

Yes I would because they wouldn't sell two goals with school boy passes.

In case you hadn't noticed the defence has been selling school boy passes/ defending for quite some time.

Or did you miss Frans/Seabourne's comedy cuts for the first goal where it could have been dealt with long before it ended in the back of the net?

The defending for the third goal wouldn't have looked out of place in a primary school playground. Reverting to Elliot, I think we all know he's no Pele, but at least he tries!

If Stevenson did what Elliot did for the third goal, people would be saying they never want to see him play again. Elliot tries (usually) because he has to make up for a serious lack of ability and probably realises he is doing well getting on the park for us.

Unbelievable.

You pick on one player who wasn't the worst by far on the park.

Then you hold up one player who seriously disrespected management, fans and team on Saturday night who wasn't deemed good enough to get a starting place amongst that shambles.

Whatever. I give up.

To be fair, i think the original point wasn't just about saturday. It was more of a general point about the last few weeks and why Elliot is in the team week in week out when there are better players sitting on the bench. I get that elliot tries his hardest most of the time (the 3rd goal on saturday being a notable exception though by then the rest of the teams attitude has probably rubbed off on him)

For me the "uch he tries his hardest" line shouldn't really be used as a reason for him to be starting. Its the absolute minimum i would expect from any player who pulls on a thistle jersey and,up untill saturday, i'd say all of our players give 100%. I dont think i've ever seen lawless not trying his hardest. And although hes been garbage this season ive never seen higgy not trying. For me those 2 players should start ahead of elliot in the wide midfield positions 10 times out of 10. Most of our play tends to, untill the recent brand of "route 1" football we've reverted to recently, come from wide positions so having our most creative players in those positions is more important for me than a guy who will supposedly offer us a bit more defensively. Even more so when we're playing the worst team in the league on our own patch after a run of 4 straight defeats where we've barely created a chance.

• Like 1

I think it's unfair on Elliott to keep going on about how hard he tries. He's come a long way as a player and is worthy as part of the team. Whether he's first eleven with everyone available is debatable, but he's been an important part of the squad, has improved, and shouldn't be getting singled out at a time when the whole squad has to get its act together.

• Like 4

If Stevenson did what Elliot did for the third goal, people would be saying they never want to see him play again.

hate to spoil a good scapegoating rant, but ..... you do realise that the three chasing players down the wing before the third goal were elliott, higgy and stevenson?

and that when the county player cut in, stevenson and higgy immediately stopped moving, and watched the goal unfold from there?

elliott did at least try to follow the county player in (yes, too slowly though).

and as for frans standing like a unfortunately placed training cone, almost getting in way of the county player, shooting his arms up and making no challenge and making himself narrower and easier to waltz around ..... and then there was fraser, a yard in front of goal who made no attempt to stick a leg out in direction of ball (admittedly it would likely have cannoned off fraser and into net anyway, but fact he clearly made effort to stay out of way of approaching ball to goal :no: ..... taking it to extremes, he could even have been unconventional and fallen down, turned his back or backside to ball and tried blocking it that way).

but no, it's all christies fault. #scapegoatoftheyear

• Like 1

Unbelievable.

You pick on one player who wasn't the worst by far on the park.

Then you hold up one player who seriously disrespected management, fans and team on Saturday night who wasn't deemed good enough to get a starting place amongst that shambles.

Whatever. I give up.

so u would pick Elliot before lawless I'm not picking at Elliot it's the manager who is wrong ! Can u seriously give me a good reason why Elliot is starting before out most creative player this season ???

so u would pick Elliot before lawless I'm not picking at Elliot it's the manager who is wrong ! Can u seriously give me a good reason why Elliot is starting before out most creative player this season ???

Because Elliott does what the manager asks of him?

Because Elliott is more versatile?

Because Elliott is better in the air?

Because Elliott is more physical?

Because you know which Elliott will turn up?

He might not be as gifted with the ball at his feet as Lawless, but he offers more in other areas.

Because Elliott does what the manager asks of him?

Because Elliott is more versatile?

Because Elliott is better in the air?

Because Elliott is more physical?

Because you know which Elliott will turn up?

He might not be as gifted with the ball at his feet as Lawless, but he offers more in other areas.

All the 'attributes' you've listed, suggest that elliot is in the team to make us 'more solid' which in the past few weeks hasn't even worked anyway. When playing the worst team in the league at home, do you not think we would be better trying to create chances/score goals rather than trying to stop county? I believe we have good enough players at the club who could go and beat county, pretty convincingly even, but they're not much use to us on the bench.

And for the record i dont want rid of archie, and i think he'll keep us up. However, when i go to watch thistle i want to be watching the best players we have. Players i feel can create something out of nothing. Players that will excite me. I've never felt excited when christie picks the ball up.

I would say that Christie Elliot is better suited to the more "physical" style of football we have moved towards, Stevie Lawless is a more skillfull player, but lacks physical strength.

I would say that Christie Elliot is better suited to the more "physical" style of football we have moved towards, Stevie Lawless is a more skillfull player, but lacks physical strength.

I actually think this is a statement that some people seem to take as gospel. But physical strength is only good if you can use it. I would argue while Lawless is on the pitch, his small stature does not stop him from making a fair share of tackles. He works incredibly hard and it is really only in the air where he has issues. But a winger doesn't have to be a great header of the ball. The potential Lawless can add to the team is far in excess of what Elliot can and I feel Lawless is being punished for a misconception. I would love to see a stat on tackles made in a game, comparing Lawless to Elliot when they are both playing in the same position. It wouldn't shock me if Lawless made twice the tackles.

I also want to just say I don't mean to Elliot bash, and I have in the past but laid off him for a while. But now we are in a mini crisis and we have the likes of Lawless and Higginbotham in particular sitting on the bench and Elliot playing. We then have Booth being subbed off and Elliot swapped into his position, only to then throw away two goals. This is Archie's fault and not Elliot's, I won't blame Elliot as he does try but if I got asked to play I'd try - doesn't mean I'm good enough.

Anyway there is a clear divide in opinion towards him and to be honest it's the same posters that stick up for him. It's just depressing to watch him, we aren't a low first division club any more.

Edited by read'n'yell

All the 'attributes' you've listed, suggest that elliot is in the team to make us 'more solid' which in the past few weeks hasn't even worked anyway. When playing the worst team in the league at home, do you not think we would be better trying to create chances/score goals rather than trying to stop county? I believe we have good enough players at the club who could go and beat county, pretty convincingly even, but they're not much use to us on the bench.

And for the record i dont want rid of archie, and i think he'll keep us up. However, when i go to watch thistle i want to be watching the best players we have. Players i feel can create something out of nothing. Players that will excite me. I've never felt excited when christie picks the ball up.

just realised... Elliott played on the left in place of Higgy in the first half.

So this argument is pointless. It should be about McDaid or Lawless.

Or Elliott/Higgy.

Edited by potty trained

I actually think this is a statement that some people seem to take as gospel. But physical strength is only good if you can use it. I would argue while Lawless is on the pitch, his small stature does not stop him from making a fair share of tackles. He works incredibly hard and it is really only in the air where he has issues. But a winger doesn't have to be a great header of the ball. The potential Lawless can add to the team is far in excess of what Elliot can and I feel Lawless is being punished for a misconception. I would love to see a stat on tackles made in a game, comparing Lawless to Elliot when they are both playing in the same position. It wouldn't shock me if Lawless made twice the tackles.

I also want to just say I don't mean to Elliot bash, and I have in the past but laid off him for a while. But now we are in a mini crisis and we have the likes of Lawless and Higginbotham in particular sitting on the bench and Elliot playing. We then have Booth being subbed off and Elliot swapped into his position, only to then throw away two goals. This is Archie's fault and not Elliot's, I won't blame Elliot as he does try but if I got asked to play I'd try - doesn't mean I'm good enough.

Anyway there is a clear divide in opinion towards him and to be honest it's the same posters that stick up for him. It's just depressing to watch him, we aren't a low first division club any more.

I totally agree with you, my comments were a bit tongue in cheek. Nothing against Christie Elliot, but I find it perplexing that Stevie Lawless who is one of, if not the best player at our club, can't get a game?

Edited by AndyMac

just realised... Elliott played on the left in place of Higgy in the first half.

So this argument is pointless. It should be about McDaid or Lawless.

Or Elliott/Higgy.

Both higgy and lawless can/have played on either wing.

The point I was making was that elliot, in a wide midfield position is a waste. I'd have no qualms with archie starting him at LB as i'm still unsure re booth. But if both higgy and lawless are on the bench behind him then i'd much rather start with one of those.

See my point regards it was McDaid who started infront of Lawless on Saturday.

Yeah yeah PT, look as said I'm not having a pop at Christie Elliot, it's our manager that picks the team and I think he has made a mess of things. I know you do not agree with this, which is fair enough and I do admire your loyalty towards Archie.

I find myself torn over the matter, my heart says it's ok Archie knows what he's doing and my head says that he has totally lost the plot. Suppose time will tell.