What Happened To Our Passing Game?

javeajag

one if the things we all enjoyed over the last 4 years was our pass and move football, keeping the ball on the deck and trying not to be a lump it up the park team.....so where has it gone?

We seem to be reverting to typical crap Scottish football and yesterday the ball was in the air loads of times .

I can't help feeling this has got something to do with our loss of form

I can't understand why our style of play has deteriorated so much, unless of course the current squad are simply not good enough for whatever reason, which I simply refuse to believe. Unfortunately, in the remainder of the season I doubt that good football will be in much evidence.

I have to say that playing football the way we have been doing is hardly likely to engender much of an increase in our gate receipts. The really worrying thing is that this reversion to typical SPFL-type fare happened when we were in a relatively comfortable position.

Even more worryingly, it doesn't work for us!

Edited by stillresigned

I can't understand why our style of play has deteriorated so much, unless of course the current squad are simply not good enough for whatever reason, which I simply refuse to believe. Unfortunately, in the remainder of the season I doubt that good football will be in much evidence.

I have to say that playing football the way we have been doing is hardly likely to engender much of an increase in our gate receipts. The really worrying thing is that this reversion to typical SPFL-type fare happened when we were in a relatively comfortable position.

Even more worryingly, it doesn't work for us!

It's funny as most of the team used to play the passing game ?

IMO the only way to get anywhere near our passing game is to play Lawless every game. He has the ingenuity and pace to make passes that matter and I think with Erskine away, he's the one that matters in our passing game. We get the best out of Doolan and Higgy (and Welsh) when he's playing. I don't get why he's on the bench as much.

Totally agree with this. I was just about to post something similar, having calmed down a bit after yesterday's debacle. Agree about the 'hoof it tae naebody' game. It's not good to watch nor is it effective-the amount of times the ball was hoofed up either by Gal or the defence and possession was gifted right away to RC couldn't be counted on all the fingers on the hands of everyone in the JHS. There was a move where Stevo passed the ball on the ground to ( I think ) Doolz. A couple of decent passes later (all on the deck) and Taylor was through on goal. The pace was faster and the penetration far better than hoofing hopeless crosses into a packed box when the team played a passing game. This is the way we have won so many games in the past few years-playing the game the way it's meant to be played IMHO. Lawless is a master at this kind of game, so why the feck Stevo has been taking corners recently and launching crosses at Wee Stevie I don't know. We need to go back consitently to what type of game suits the players we have.

Totally agree with this. I was just about to post something similar, having calmed down a bit after yesterday's debacle. Agree about the 'hoof it tae naebody' game. It's not good to watch nor is it effective-the amount of times the ball was hoofed up either by Gal or the defence and possession was gifted right away to RC couldn't be counted on all the fingers on the hands of everyone in the JHS. There was a move where Stevo passed the ball on the ground to ( I think ) Doolz. A couple of decent passes later (all on the deck) and Taylor was through on goal. The pace was faster and the penetration far better than hoofing hopeless crosses into a packed box when the team played a passing game. This is the way we have won so many games in the past few years-playing the game the way it's meant to be played IMHO. Lawless is a master at this kind of game, so why the feck Stevo has been taking corners recently and launching crosses at Wee Stevie I don't know. We need to go back consitently to what type of game suits the players we have.

I've run out of likes (does the quota go from afternoon to afternoon, or something weird like that, because the server is in the USA?), but this seems spot on to me.

• Members

Mentioned it a week or so ago, teams are pressing us higher up the pitch and our passing game has fallen to pieces. Even simple passes are going out of play, behind the receiving player leading to frustration on and off the park. This is resulting in us either, passing the ball to the side/backwards with safe passes or hoofing it. I'm not sure the condition of the pitch is helping. Maybe for the next month or so we should hire in a team of groundsmen to get the pitch back to at least a nice flat even surface.