Hamilton/dundee/st. Johnstone

Dick Dastardly

Still looks to be 1 from 3 for the final place in the bottom 6. Mathematically, United could still drop out of the top 6, but with Dundee v St.Johnstone this weekend, it would take a strange set of results for them to be the wrong side of the cut. The question is, what would be the best outcome ?

Hamilton (or United) would appear to be the most winnable games, but that goes for our opponents as well, would it therefore be better if they stayed top 6 and that Saints/Dundee took points from Ross/Motherwell/Killie (as well as maybe us). As we have points on the board, it might be better to make the others work for any points they need to catch us. Also, we tend to do better against better teams.

It could also impact on next season. If Dundee end up top 6, they will have more money to spend and be stronger next time around. I don't think that money alone will sort out Hamilton, so a weaker Dundee may be an advantage next year.

If it was to be United, I would just love to see MacNamara's face as we beat them in a bottom 6 tie !

Hamilton need to beat Dundee Utd away to have any chance of avoiding bottom 6... given that their last win was on the 4th of January (!), it's hard to see that happening.

Hamilton could theoretically pass Dundee with only a draw against United if Dundee get spanked to the extent of a 8 goal swing (or theoretically 7 if Hamilton have a sufficiently high scoring draw in their game to take the lead on goals scored) in their remaining pre-split games (St. Johnstone away on Saturday and Celtic at home on Wednesday). Not likely I grant you but not completely inconceivable.

I've just noticed that Killie could mathematically pass Dundee. Unlikely, but not decided yet.

to do this, killie would need to win their games versus aberdeen and celtic by a combined minimum of nine clear goals.

i think it's safe to say it is decided that killie will not make top six.

• Like 1