V Rangers Of The East

Veejag

Watched the game on ALBA Thistle were ineffective up front poor Doolan got very little from the midfield. Hearts have spent well since they went down a league, mind you if Thistle had their gate income they would be more effective, on the whole the manager does well with what he has available. My main complaint would be about playing Amoo on the left it seems perverse, having seen him play right midfield he has excellent pace and can cross a ball better than O'Donnell. Gary Miller is competent at right back just a pity we need two to cover the loss of one.

The Stevenson and Hearts fans issue is just so much mindless nonsense by some of the Thistle support,much more important is his general poor condition and inconsistency, in his defence he has been played as a striker on to many occasions which is not his best position which is not his fault.

I don't want to spend too much time on a post-mortem of Saturday's performance; we were well beaten by a team who are really riding the crest of a wave just now and will almost certainly finish in the top three. However, a couple of short observations:

• I've never hidden the fact that I'm not a great fan of Frans; I think he's a big haddy and he caused us countless problems on Saturday with his ropey distribution. He shanked the ball out pretty much straight from kick off and that set the tone. He played numerous passes into Bannigan, Miller and Welsh when they were marked and facing our own goal which inevitably caused us to lose possession. He's rash and gets too close to his man, making it easy for guys of Juanma's calibre to turn him. When Lindsay is fit, I think he should be an automatic pick. With Seaborne being left footed as well, it's unlikely that this will happen straight away but it'll only be a matter of time until Frans is suspended again.

• We can't afford to carry a player like Amoo; he doesn't offer enough offensively or defensively. I couldn't believe my eyes when he actually stopped to protest to the referee while the ball was still in play after a Hearts player had went down in the box following a corner. He has tremendous pace by all accounts yet rarely squares the full-back up to beat him up the line. The old Adam Strachan, kick-the-ball-and-run style might be a more effective use of his speed but either way, I've not seen anything to change my opinion that he's a bench player at best. McDaid showed in his short time on the pitch what we require from a winger and must be in contention for tomorrow.

• Without Lawless, we lack any ingenuity in the final third and leave Dools badly isolated up front. Really need another body who can genuinely play "in the hole" so to speak because Stevenson's best position is on the right, not behind the striker. Say what you like about Higginbotham's form last year but I think it's evident that we're missing his ability to get on the ball and drag us up the pitch.

Tomorrow is a good opportunity to get a win on the board and carry a bit of momentum forward into another difficult game at the weekend. We've had a difficult start, made even more difficult by our own indiscipline/refereeing incompetence (delete as applicable) but County's trouncing win at Rugby Park makes last week's draw even sorer to take.

Edited by Armand2

Lets get realistic here. Who expected us to get anything from Tynecastle, or at home to Celtic ? Only the delusional I suspect. Of the other games, a point from Hamilton and Inverness is a good effort and I suspect that most would have been happy to get a point from either. That leaves the Killie game as the one blot where we should have had all 3. It probably puts us 1 point behind our realistic target.

That said, the performance has not been as good as we know it can be. Despite that, we are still close to getting the results, and it is a good sign if you can get the results while playing badly. At some point, this side is going to click and when we do, someone is going to get it.

You make absolutely no sense DD.

I don't have a problem with us not getting results against Hearts or Celtic, but in both of these games we have offered absolutely nothing and it's the performances which have been the real cause for concern - not the results.

Your last sentence is baffling and completely irrelevant to the situation. "We are close to getting results" - great, I'm sure that will keep us up this season.

"It is a good sign if you can get the results while playing badly". On Saturday I'm pretty sure we didn't get a result. Against Killie we didn't even play badly, we just didn't get the result.

• Like 1