Feed The Pog!

Lindau

Feed the Pog!Jags striker blasts his mates’ sloppy service

PARTICK THISTLE V HAMILTON ACCIES

By EWING GRAHAME

MATTIAS POGBA has warned his Partick Thistle team-mates they will have to get their act together fast to avoid a relegation battle.

And the 6ft 4in Guinea striker claims that means giving him the service he demands.

Pogba, 25, opened his account in Maryhill with the opener against Hamilton Accies.

But even after taking seven points from their last three games, Alan Archibald’s men are still second from bottom.

And according to former Wrexham, Crewe and Crawley hitman Pogba, they will stay there unless they start supplying the ammunition he needs.

It was easy to imagine Pogba in the Firhill dressing room after this game, when ten-man Accies were allowed to come from behind for a draw.

You could see him giving his team-mates the kind of withering look that Nick Hewer used to reserve for the most hopeless contestants in The Apprentice.

Pogba should have been feeling like a million dollars after breaking his duck, but instead he found himself moaning about his two-bob service.

He said: “It was definitely nice to score my first goal for the club, but I was disappointed with the result.

“When we are playing against ten men, we should control the game and have an easy victory, so this is really disappointing for everyone.

“I’m happy, but I’m not happy. It was definitely not good. Even though I scored, I’m not content.

“The manager was telling us to play the ball forward quickly, but sometimes they don’t and the chances are gone.

“My team-mates are moving the ball too slowly and taking too many touches.

“But it is what it is, there’s nothing I can do about it.

“It’s very frustrating for me as a striker and for the team after this result.”

Pogba is convinced it could all have been very different if only his team-mates had gone for the Jagular.

He said: “Of course, I believe I’ll get goals if the service is there, but the type of striker I am, I need crosses and I need balls played into the box.

“If the other players can do this I’ll definitely score more often.

“Have I spoken to them about this? Every day!

“Every day I have tried my best. I speak about it at training, before games, at half-time, all the time

Pogba was making only his fifth start for Thistle, but he dismissed suggestions that his new team-mates must still be adapting to his style.

He snapped: “I don’t think this is about them needing time to understand me.

“In some cases they deliver the ball and sometimes I’m not in the right place.

“However, they should always put it in there because I might be in the right place. It depends. The best case for me is for them to deliver that ball as quickly as they can.”

It all looked so promising when Pogba prodded home a David Amoo cross from point-blank range to give the Jags the lead.

A dire first-half had ended with Hamilton’s Brazilian defender Lucas Tagliapietra red-carded for what referee Euan Anderson regarded as a last-man foul.

Pogba’s goal should have put the home side in the driving seat, but they were a car crash waiting to happen when they chose to sit back and defend what they had. And they paid the price for that policy 12 minutes from the end.

In-form Dougie Imrie raced on to a through ball from Gramoz Kurtaj to round Jags’ substitute keeper Ryan Scully and stroke the ball into the gaping net for a well-deserved equaliser.

Needless to say, Pogba was far from impressed.

He said: “For me, this match was a defeat. After they go down to ten men and we are controlling the game, to end up with a draw is a defeat. That’s what it feels like. When I look at our league position I know it’s going to be dangerous for me and the team.

“We need to bounce back and train hard this week and keep training harder this week. Then hopefully we can take all three points on Saturday.

“I’m getting fitter with every game and I’m happy with this. I’d say at the moment I’m at 90 per cent, but by the time we play Hearts in our next match I’ll be at 100 per cent

“I don’t set myself targets. If I can score a lot, great, but I never put a figure on it.”

Feed the Pog!Jags striker blasts his mates’ sloppy service

PARTICK THISTLE V HAMILTON ACCIES

By EWING GRAHAME

MATTIAS POGBA has warned his Partick Thistle team-mates they will have to get their act together fast to avoid a relegation battle.

And the 6ft 4in Guinea striker claims that means giving him the service he demands.

Pogba, 25, opened his account in Maryhill with the opener against Hamilton Accies.

But even after taking seven points from their last three games, Alan Archibald’s men are still second from bottom.

And according to former Wrexham, Crewe and Crawley hitman Pogba, they will stay there unless they start supplying the ammunition he needs.

It was easy to imagine Pogba in the Firhill dressing room after this game, when ten-man Accies were allowed to come from behind for a draw.

You could see him giving his team-mates the kind of withering look that Nick Hewer used to reserve for the most hopeless contestants in The Apprentice.

Pogba should have been feeling like a million dollars after breaking his duck, but instead he found himself moaning about his two-bob service.

He said: “It was definitely nice to score my first goal for the club, but I was disappointed with the result.

“When we are playing against ten men, we should control the game and have an easy victory, so this is really disappointing for everyone.

“I’m happy, but I’m not happy. It was definitely not good. Even though I scored, I’m not content.

“The manager was telling us to play the ball forward quickly, but sometimes they don’t and the chances are gone.

“My team-mates are moving the ball too slowly and taking too many touches.

“But it is what it is, there’s nothing I can do about it.

“It’s very frustrating for me as a striker and for the team after this result.”

Pogba is convinced it could all have been very different if only his team-mates had gone for the Jagular.

He said: “Of course, I believe I’ll get goals if the service is there, but the type of striker I am, I need crosses and I need balls played into the box.

“If the other players can do this I’ll definitely score more often.

“Have I spoken to them about this? Every day!

“Every day I have tried my best. I speak about it at training, before games, at half-time, all the time

Pogba was making only his fifth start for Thistle, but he dismissed suggestions that his new team-mates must still be adapting to his style.

He snapped: “I don’t think this is about them needing time to understand me.

“In some cases they deliver the ball and sometimes I’m not in the right place.

“However, they should always put it in there because I might be in the right place. It depends. The best case for me is for them to deliver that ball as quickly as they can.”

It all looked so promising when Pogba prodded home a David Amoo cross from point-blank range to give the Jags the lead.

A dire first-half had ended with Hamilton’s Brazilian defender Lucas Tagliapietra red-carded for what referee Euan Anderson regarded as a last-man foul.

Pogba’s goal should have put the home side in the driving seat, but they were a car crash waiting to happen when they chose to sit back and defend what they had. And they paid the price for that policy 12 minutes from the end.

In-form Dougie Imrie raced on to a through ball from Gramoz Kurtaj to round Jags’ substitute keeper Ryan Scully and stroke the ball into the gaping net for a well-deserved equaliser.

Needless to say, Pogba was far from impressed.

He said: “For me, this match was a defeat. After they go down to ten men and we are controlling the game, to end up with a draw is a defeat. That’s what it feels like. When I look at our league position I know it’s going to be dangerous for me and the team.

“We need to bounce back and train hard this week and keep training harder this week. Then hopefully we can take all three points on Saturday.

“I’m getting fitter with every game and I’m happy with this. I’d say at the moment I’m at 90 per cent, but by the time we play Hearts in our next match I’ll be at 100 per cent

“I don’t set myself targets. If I can score a lot, great, but I never put a figure on it.”

he basicly wants it put on a plate every time or he won't score .. ? Sounds like a superstar wanna be from that interview

Can't really argue with what he says. Put it in the box, and I'll score. Good on him for having confidence in his own ability.

Probably why we've seen a switch to a more orthodox formation with right footers on the right wing and left footers on the left wing. As that is more suited to players hitting the goal line and crossing.

The irony being his goal came from an Amoo cross from the left.

Good on the big man.

• Like 2

He's highlighted the problems we've been having all season and he's quite right. We don't support the striker and the supply to them has been sometimes near non existent.

Dools has spent the early part of the season running about like a madman trying to get a sniff of the ball too.

A huge gap between central midfield and the striker and poor quality balls from wide. It;s been the same all season and Pogba is just highlighting it,

• Like 1

A really don't think our full game plan should change for pogba to be fair he's obviously improved us as we've won 2 of our last 3 games but thinks it's a bit much to criticise your team mates because they can't put the ball on a pate for him to score every time .. There's been a good few times decent balls to him or into the box for him where he's not been quick enough or sharp enough to get to ! He's scored one goal and is critising every 1 else, every 1 apart from seaborne bannigan (and the keepers) were poor on sat including pogba

A really don't think our full game plan should change for pogba to be fair he's obviously improved us as we've won 2 of our last 3 games but thinks it's a bit much to criticise your team mates because they can't put the ball on a pate for him to score every time .. There's been a good few times decent balls to him or into the box for him where he's not been quick enough or sharp enough to get to ! He's scored one goal and is critising every 1 else, every 1 apart from seaborne bannigan (and the keepers) were poor on sat including pogba

It's difficult to have a good game, when the two centre half's are give carte Blanche to foul you at every high ball up to you.

Can you show me where he said he wants the ball on a plate.

He said, he wants crosses into the box. Do that and he'll score. If he doesn't, he'll take the heat.

He's put his own head on the block in the article. Can't fault him for that.

He might well have a point but he shouldn't be saying that stuff to the press.

Deeply unprofessional. Say it at the training ground, say it in the dressing room - don't say it to a journalist.

He's hardly said anything controversial. The article boils down to 3 statements:

1. We don't create enough chances

2. We're disappointed not to win.

3. Give me enough service and I'll score the goals to keep us up.

The first two are blindingly obvious and the third one is just him showing that he has confidence in his abilities. It could maybe be worded better, but its pretty standard stuff.

Pogba would seriously benefit from having another striker up with him. Just like the old Roberts and Buchanan/Doolan partnership. I know that isn't how Archie plays, but I can't help but feel we are very predictable in how we set up and teams can plan accordingly.

Exactly what I hoped we'd do when Canning brought himself on, on Saturday. It was like he was trolling us. His fat arse wouldn't look out of place in a testimonial match.

Sounds like a typical striker really. Nice to see he's got confidence in himself.

Pretty much as obvious as it can be, when we move the ball quicker and sharper, we play better. As soon as we bring it back down to the walking pace, sideways passing, we've got no chance.

• Like 1

Don't think Pogba said anything wrong there. The journalist has decided to try and make it a "blast" at his team mates, when in reality all he's saying is that he needs better service to score, which is true. He also says "In some cases they deliver the ball and sometimes I’m not in the right place". Total non-story.

• Like 1