A Modest Proposal

douglas clark

It occurred to me that European Football has become elitist. To compete you have to be really, really good.

What if, instead, you just had to be in your countries top division and, on that basis, you competed in Europe for the highest award?

So, our boys could be drawn against say, Sporting Braga.

That would be fun.

We might win, we might lose.

It would, at worse, add a couple of rounds to the tournaments that we watch and it could keep interest high, especially amongst the less favoured clubs. And it would share the dosh around a few more teams.

?

how about a handicap system then, giving "less favoured" clubs, say, a seven goal start?

It could be calculated by playing budget or recent form.

Nah, I'm afraid the point of football is supposed to be that you have to be really good to win and we'll have to consider other ways of dealing with inequality.

• Like 1

It occurred to me that European Football has become elitist. To compete you have to be really, really good.

What if, instead, you just had to be in your countries top division and, on that basis, you competed in Europe for the highest award?

So, our boys could be drawn against say, Sporting Braga.

That would be fun.

We might win, we might lose.

It would, at worse, add a couple of rounds to the tournaments that we watch and it could keep interest high, especially amongst the less favoured clubs. And it would share the dosh around a few more teams.

?

I think you are missing the point of these competitions. They are run by the big cubs for the big cubs and they are wanting to keep more of the dosh for themselves