Why Are The Welsh Clubs Playing In England?

sigesige00

There are Welsh clubs playing in England -- Cardiff City, Swansea City etc. Why are they allowed to play in England?

Derry City play in the League of Ireland (26 Counties) for special historic reason. But is there any special reason for those Welsh clubs?

Does it have anything to do with the Old Firm's attempt to move to England?

Clubs from one country can get permission to play in another I believe if

1, There is no-professional league in the country (in the case of Wales, for many years)

2, They are situated on the boarder (in the case of Berwick Rangers)

Gretna (and I think Annan Athletic), played in the English league's

Can name a few clubs who cross border

FC Vduz

Toronto

FC Andorra

and I might be wrong but in the 1970's Wigan Athletic applied to join the Scottish League.

No chance of the old-firm getting permission to move unless every other team in Scotland went amateur or part-time.

Clubs from one country can get permission to play in another I believe if

1, There is no-professional league in the country (in the case of Wales, for many years)

2, They are situated on the boarder (in the case of Berwick Rangers)

No chance of the old-firm getting permission to move unless every other team in Scotland went amateur or part-time.

A small price to pay...

Money talks. The trick will be for the Ugly Sisters to have an advocate amongst the decision-makers of any 'new' league. I think 'top' teams will happily skin their football associations alive to get a fatter cheque from the TV companies. Think SPL.

I think many will oppose to my idea, but is a unification of the English and Scottish Leagues a bad idea?

Playing with English teams would be more profitable.

That may save the Scottish football, which is now becoming a sinking ship.

Women and children and you first.....

I think many will oppose to my idea, but is a unification of the English and Scottish Leagues a bad idea?

Just the opposite. It would kill Scottish football immediately, and see the end of a Scottish national team or representation in Europe.

English and Welsh clubs were playing in the same league long before FIFA or UEFA was even dreamt of.

Before the League of Wales was founded in 1992 Welsh clubs played within the overall FA pyramid. When the LoW was founded 8 Welsh FA members decided to remain in the (English) FA structure. So not only do you have Swansea and Cardiff but you also have Wrexham, Newport, Colwyn Bay and Merthyr remain within the FA pyramid.

There is no logical reason for the English FA to want the Old Firm. They think they have too many matches already; the quality on offer is mediocre (unless the kind FA give them some money); to fit the team in would require an extra two relegations in every league down to Conference North and South - 12 teams would have to be demoted to squeeze them in - and you can add in another 12 teams who would be brought into the relegation zone in each league! Turkeys, Xmas, ballot paper.

In the end if the broadcasters want to squeeze more money out of football they can do all sorts of tricks - like lifting the ban on Saturday 3pm broadcasts.

The usual way for big clubs in small leagues to progress is to do the really hard work of developing their own players and make progress in European competition - which will then be funded by selling these players to England, Spain, Germany or Italy. It's what good teams in every other small footballing nation do. Handing out a begging bowl is lazy. Both clubs have a strong fanbase and should be able to develop their own players from the youngest ages.

Your English has improved remarkably. Dom't let the guard down now.

Your English has improved remarkably. Dom't let the guard down now.

i agree - didn't you know the Sig applied for his BORIS YELTSIN tests and got shafted cos he's like wot done a module on the cockney vernacular and when they trousered his monkeys he fell down the apple and pears and now he feels just like a nippon bristol city. :thumbsup2:

Please explain the thinking behind that sentence. How would Thistle v Yeovil (for example) turn a penny when we cannot get a team from 45 minutes along the road to bring more than a couple of hundred fans with them?

Please explain the thinking behind that sentence. How would Thistle v Yeovil (for example) turn a penny when we cannot get a team from 45 minutes along the road to bring more than a couple of hundred fans with them?

Hmmm....I should have thought more deeply.

I simply thought that the bigger market of England would give us more oppotunities.

By the way I have a Yeovil shirt...green and white hoops!