Household Boilers

Big Col

Getting quotes for a new boiler to replace current house one which is nearly deceased.

I've got 3 quotes in from heating engineers but each is for a different kind of boiler.

Can anyone help me with a recommendation for a type of boiler or ones to avoid or comments on the ones I have been quoted for?

Ones that I have been quoted on are an Ideal Logic, Veissman or a Worcester Bosch.

Any advice would be gratefully received.

Getting quotes for a new boiler to replace current house one which is nearly deceased.

I've got 3 quotes in from heating engineers but each is for a different kind of boiler.

Can anyone help me with a recommendation for a type of boiler or ones to avoid or comments on the ones I have been quoted for?

Ones that I have been quoted on are an Ideal Logic, Veissman or a Worcester Bosch.

the 1st or 3rd would be my choice, what model worcester is it and how much you getting quoted?

the 1st or 3rd would be my choice, what model worcester is it and how much you getting quoted?

Worcester Bosch Greenstar 30 CDI Wireless Controls and magnaclean - £1796. The Ideal Logic + 30 and magnaclean quote is £1360.

What do you think? Sounds like you would advisde to avoid the Veissman?

Don’t know too much about boilers but the advice I’ve received is to go for a Bosch or Vokera high efficiency combi boiler “A” rated. With wireless heat control.

I am told a boiler can be bought from a supplier for about £600. If you can find a qualified competent engineer to fit it you could save a good few hundred quid.

Perhaps there is an engineer on here who’d take on the job. Providing the engineer is qualified there would be no problem with the manufacturer’s warranty.

You will also want to be assured that the boiler can produce sufficient hot water to feed both your central heating and shower/bath running at the same time.

Edited by wee jim

My advice would be get a quote from British Gas. Reason is they give you a VERY detailed breakdown of whats involved. Then they leave the breakdown of parts with you!!! All you do from there is get 3 quotes based on BG's (which is overpriced anyway) and see who comes out best value for money, not necessarily the cheapest.

My advice would be get a quote from British Gas. Reason is they give you a VERY detailed breakdown of whats involved. Then they leave the breakdown of parts with you!!! All you do from there is get 3 quotes based on BG's (which is overpriced anyway) and see who comes out best value for money, not necessarily the cheapest.

My advice would be to stay well clear of british gas....you can guarantee they will quote 2800 give or take a couple of quid, worcester are top notch and i think on some models they are doing a 5yr warranty and they're pretty much maintenance free. The price youve been given to install the greenstar seems reasonable, the cheapes i can find it is just under £1100

As for the guy with the sabre....its a vokera boiler with a different badge on it the same as procombi boilers.

My advice would be to stay well clear of british gas....you can guarantee they will quote 2800 give or take a couple of quid, worcester are top notch and i think on some models they are doing a 5yr warranty and they're pretty much maintenance free. The price youve been given to install the greenstar seems reasonable, the cheapes i can find it is just under £1100

As for the guy with the sabre....its a vokera boiler with a different badge on it the same as procombi boilers.

You obviously never read what I said did you? The purpose of using BG is for the detailed quote which is then used by 3 others and undercut.

You obviously never read what I said did you? The purpose of using BG is for the detailed quote which is then used by 3 others and undercut.

i did read it....waste of time

detailed quote

remove unwanted boiler and replace with customer spec boiler. test system, carry out tightness test. clear site and remove debris.

£1800 or whatever

wouldnt touch british gas with a barge pole

Ritchie is the forum expert so go with it. My ten pence worth is that sometimes the boiler choice is shaped by the size of the cupboard that you're sticking it in. Mine's a Ferroli, which fitted very snuggly inside an existing kitchen cupboard.

whatever Mr expert. i was only pointing out it was a waste of time getting a detailed quote from british gas when theres feck all need for a detailed quote and your not going to pay their over inflated prices anyway

OMG. Here, let me spell it out for you. The thing you seem to have missed is that you DON'T use British Gas anyway. You're probably not going to get that either are you?

OMG. Here, let me spell it out for you. The thing you seem to have missed is that you DON'T use British Gas anyway. You're probably not going to get that either are you?

i know you dont yous them.....so why waste time getting them out to waste 2hrs of your life.....understand. i would have better things to do than listen to some salesman who knows hee haw about prattling on and then charging double what any half decent company or gsr would charge. you dont need a detailed quote, do you understand that bit? boiler out boiler in, anybody within the industry could quote a job in 15mins.

Many thanks to all those who responded. For a laugh, I did ask British Gas for a quote and they were 2 quid short of £2700!!!

I've decided to go with a Bosch - 5 year warranty, cheaper monthly gas bills and wireless controls.

Thanks again chaps - much appreciated.

Thats cheap for them.

Many thanks to all those who responded. For a laugh, I did ask British Gas for a quote and they were 2 quid short of £2700!!!

I've decided to go with a Bosch - 5 year warranty, cheaper monthly gas bills and wireless controls.

canny go wrong with a worcester pal

Where did you go in the end up Big Col?

I am looking to replace my boiler as we have just moved house and it's about ten years old.

Cheers

Eddie