Reintroduction Of Standing In The Spl

BringBackStanding

In light of Neil Doncasters recent comments regarding the possibilty of the reintroduction of standing in the SPL a Facebook group was set up to show support for it and also to act as a hub for any news on the issue.

We are inviting all Scottish football fans who believe in the principle that you should be allowed to stand in Scotlands top league.

If you agree that SPL fans should have the choice if they wish to stand at a football match then please join our group.

The SPL has been emailed with several questions of the issue and we have emailed all SPL clubs and some SFL clubs (PTFC included) to clarify there position on the subject.

http://www.facebook.com/#!/group.php?gid=151038524916484&v=wall&ref=ts

Thank you.

Any questions please ask via this thread/facebook/email.

• Members

In light of Neil Doncasters recent comments regarding the possibilty of the reintroduction of standing in the SPL a Facebook group was set up to show support for it and also to act as a hub for any news on the issue.

We are inviting all Scottish football fans who believe in the principle that you should be allowed to stand in Scotlands top league.

If you agree that SPL fans should have the choice if they wish to stand at a football match then please join our group.

The SPL has been emailed with several questions of the issue and we have emailed all SPL clubs and some SFL clubs (PTFC included) to clarify there position on the subject.

http://www.facebook.com/#!/group.php?gid=151038524916484&v=wall&ref=ts

Thank you.

Any questions please ask via this thread/facebook/email.

I think you've boobed badly by making it a reintroduction of standing to SPL games. If you had made it in Scottish Football you'd have definitely got more folk interested.

I think you've boobed badly by making it a reintroduction of standing to SPL games. If you had made it in Scottish Football you'd have definitely got more folk interested.

Your legally allowed to stand in all SFL grounds however for the SPL your ground must have 6,000 all seater.

Your legally allowed to stand in all SFL grounds however for the SPL your ground must have 6,000 all seater.

You aren't allowed to build new terraces and you aren't actually allowed to stand in all SFL grounds. As far as I know, clubs who have been in the SPL since the all-seater stadia requirements were introduced and subsequently were relegated are not allowed to use terraces, and I'm sure this is one of many reasons behind us having a grassy bing behind one of our goals.

We need to get as many people on the group as possible to show there is demand as Neil Doncaster stated.

“Generally these things are driven by supporter demand and it’s possible there could be sufficient demand to justify looking at it, although there are no plans to do so at the moment. But we shouldn’t be rejecting ou...t of hand anything that could improve Scottish football. It’s very easy to take emotional standpoints on something like this but if there’s enough desire it’s something we should consider looking at objectively.”

Getting a large amount of fans on this group supporting our cause will be an effective demonstration that there is indeed "supporter demand" and that there is "enough desire" for the powers at be at the SPL to seriously consider the reintroduction of standing at SPL matches.

You aren't allowed to build new terraces and you aren't actually allowed to stand in all SFL grounds. As far as I know, clubs who have been in the SPL since the all-seater stadia requirements were introduced and subsequently were relegated are not allowed to use terraces, and I'm sure this is one of many reasons behind us having a grassy bing behind one of our goals.

Believe this to be correct. I can't think of a single ex SPL club that has re-introduced standing. Are Pars fans not the movers & shakers to change this?

We need to get as many people on the group as possible to show there is demand as Neil Doncaster stated.

“Generally these things are driven by supporter demand and it’s possible there could be sufficient demand to justify looking at it, although there are no plans to do so at the moment. But we shouldn’t be rejecting ou...t of hand anything that could improve Scottish football. It’s very easy to take emotional standpoints on something like this but if there’s enough desire it’s something we should consider looking at objectively.”

Getting a large amount of fans on this group supporting our cause will be an effective demonstration that there is indeed "supporter demand" and that there is "enough desire" for the powers at be at the SPL to seriously consider the reintroduction of standing at SPL matches.

Why just SPL matches? I can see your point about getting as many fans as possible involved, however why come on a first division club's forum and bang on only about the SPL. There should be similar pressure placed on the SFL.

As much as i'm all for standing at games, I can't see why I should give two f***s about anything SPL, especially as (ironically) we got completely shafted when the 10,000 seating rule was changed to 6000.

SPL and it's fans can go f*** themselves.

I find it hard to disagree with this. Have a look at the link I posted above to the standupsitdown group, looking to have safe terracing introduced all over the UK at every level.

Good luck to you and your cause. You may well get some support here. However, this Thistle community just might feel there are far more fundamental changes needed in the SPL than the reintroduction of standing given the tiny matter of that league's scandalous treatment of our club over the years and the ridiculous spectacle of a single promotion slot every summer.

I'm sure you'll know that our club's financial health is in a critical condition. Please for a moment consider where Thistle may be now if the SPL permitted two promotion/relegation slots after the boys were placed second the SFL 1 campaign of 2008/2009.

Good luck to you and your cause. You may well get some support here. However, this Thistle community just might feel there are far more fundamental changes needed in the SPL than the reintroduction of standing given the tiny matter of that league's scandalous treatment of our club over the years and the ridiculous spectacle of a single promotion slot every summer.

I'm sure you'll know that our club's financial health is in a critical condition. Please for a moment consider where Thistle may be now if the SPL permitted two promotion/relegation slots after the boys were placed second the SFL 1 campaign of 2008/2009.

And second botttom of the SPL in 2002/03 :secret:

That's correct, Twinny. One of the worst Thistle sides I've seen. However, I think all that went on that year off the park, in the boardrooms and courtrooms is what rankles.

I think you're thinking of the team that finished bottom in 2003/04 aren't you? (I'm not mixing my years up am I?)

Why just SPL matches? I can see your point about getting as many fans as possible involved, however why come on a first division club's forum and bang on only about the SPL. There should be similar pressure placed on the SFL.

Agree with this.

Lack of knowledge or even care about the lower Divisions will alienate your cause mate. I'd go and have a rethink if I were you.

And this.

this Thistle community just might feel there are far more fundamental changes needed in the SPL than the reintroduction of standing given the tiny matter of that league's scandalous treatment of our club over the years and the ridiculous spectacle of a single promotion slot every summer.

Indeed. A 16 or 18 team SPL, with two relegation and promotion spots (and maybe even a 3rd bottom v 3rd top playoff) is required. Reintroduce standing areas and SPL (and more so on a the wider picture, Scottish Football) would be in a healthier state. Keep the stupid allseated rule and closed shop that is SPL and Scottish football will continue to die on its arse.

Until then, why should any non SPL team or supporter give a flying puck about your campaign?

How many clubs would be now able to remodel their stadiums, which are mostly all-seat affairs, to include terraces? Terracing and seats are different dimensions. Who has the money for that? How many clubs have abandoned their old stadiums to move to purpose-built seated arenas? I like standing at games but this idea is a non-starter.

Let's get the product changed into something people actually want to pay to see, get the stadiums filled, before farting about changing them all again.