Marketing Your Team

McKennan

Haggis neeps & tatties... Braw!

Another proposal I'd be all for is free shirt advertising for a charity in addition to shirt sponsorship. BCG Jag hinted at it earlier in the thread. We are not able to emulate Barcelona's lead in such a scheme by substituting sponsorship for free advertising. Nor are we able to offer philanthropic cash donations to the charitable causes. I understand there may be manufacturing cost in this for the club. But, the gesture would at the very least promote our team in new areas and generate media attention in the club, specifically the kit. Potentially the club could have three promotional reveal days, press invited, for one strip. New design, new sponsor, new charity. In turn this might make our kit a more attractive proposition for the main sponsor.

Could also tie in with the warriors kit.

An annual vote by trust members could produce a shortlist of candidates to be considered by the trust's board to decide on one organisation to have their name diplayed on club wear free of charge for a year. Positioned and of a size that should not detract from the club's shirt sponsors. For example, the back of the shirt above or below the player's number or even on the sleave.

Free programme, web-site and trackside advertising for our annual club charity may come at some cost too. But we are talking about generating interest by using the skills and techniques we already have.

Since the handing over of the club shop to Greaves and the growing of the variety of products, specifically training wear, I have, again aware of potential costs, also wondered if such products, track suits and the like, should also carry the club sponsors brand and potetially club charity. Would this be so attractive to sponsors that they might up their contribution?

Edited by ChewinGumMacaroonBaaaz

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Since the handing over of the club shop to Greaves and the growing of the variety of products, specifically training wear, I have, again aware of potential costs, also wondered if such products, track suits and the like, should also carry the club sponsors brand and potetially club charity. Would this be so attractive to sponsors that they might up their contribution?

Hmm ... On the topic of leisurewear merchandising, has anyone noticed the lack of what (for me) is the club's strongest identifier - our colours?

Be fair. They sponsor us not us them. :eyebrow:

I understand that. However, sponsorship is a two-way street and not just a matter of chucking money at the club in order to have your logo on a shirt for two years and a regular plate on Saturday hospitality for the visitors. To me, that's a very good example of where theory and practice diverge. Thistle and Ignis are supposed to be partners, not ugly prom dates you take out once and never want to be seen with again. Okay, an exaggeration but surely our sponsor might make a bigger effort - or be asked to make a bigger effort - on its website.

You would be taking a chance goin for a job interview wearing a Jags tie if you were not sure the potential gaffer was a Thistle fan. If it was an airdrie(spit) fan behind the desk when you walked in and you were wearing your scarf and tammie too....

Don't bite the hand that feeds ya!

McKennan by name, Mckennan by nature! ;)

Ok.... A pratical proposition.

Perhaps the deal is as good as it gets but, we ought to strengthen our association with The Glasgow Warriors. I would not wish for an amalgamation. I have stated elsewhere my firm belief that there is strength in our independence. Though, the much admired St. Pauli are a multi faceted sporting organisation who field a rugby team apparently.

However, their tennancy is an asset we could build on. As I understand it, the club is a type of franchise agreement within the SRU. The SRU although in some debt at present, are a large institution hungry for success on all fronts. They have a growing (filled firhill for derby with Edinburgh in jan?) but fresh support who will accomodate change and restructure like rebranding from Glasgow Rugby to The Warriors (2005?) and joining with the Caledonia Reds (2000?). They field international players and compete in a European wide competition and have a TV audience.

We have to see and promote Firhill, it's pitch, function suites, offices, any other potentially useable space, as a facility to be utilised as much and as often as possible. I am aware there is concern about the condition of the pitch, but I beleive that is much improved and could be bettered. They have more ties to lucrative TV deals dictating when they can play than us. As much as I'm a traditional "3pm saturday afternoon" kinda guy, if apprporaite and beneficial, I'd be willing to negotiate. I'm sure rugby has similar if not more attraction to corporate hospitality interest as first division football.

I'm aware there is some transferable season ticket stubs. Could there be more? Even if not used it's publicity.

The propco proposals might be beneficial or detrimental to the attractiveness of Firhill as a sporting venue. We must insure that any development of the ground does not stunt the ability to adequately accomodate the potential growth in support of either club. If the propco deal falls flat Is there any interest on a similar basis of shared ownership of the ground with the SRU/Warriors that might generate income for refurbmishment or upkeep?

Perhaps we could convince them to change their first colours to red, black and yellow. Shared identity might be mutually beneficial. For example, merchandise : Double sided scarfs, mugs, the famous "Firhill for Thrills" slogan might be developed into "Firhill Whatever Your Thrill"... Possible investment from them for better decoration of facilities.

Remember the end of season Firhill open days? Perhaps they'd be more of a success if one end of the pitch was rugby and the other football....

dinners ready.

One particularly important point out of several in your post. Have the Warriors even been consulted about Propco's plans to reduce the stadium's potential by 50% for evermore? Would the Warriors be happy playing in an L-shaped stadium with two big walls along the edge of the pitch? In the current climate we should be doing everything possible to entice the Warriors to stay, as it's clear that we have competition (Scotstoun); without them we would be in very serious financial trouble.

As for joint merchandise, we should at least look to harmonize our traditional away colour (navy blue) with the Warriors' blue outfit. I don't think it would be reasonable to ask them to switch to RY&B.

One particularly important point out of several in your post. Have the Warriors even been consulted about Propco's plans to reduce the stadium's potential by 50% for evermore? Would the Warriors be happy playing in an L-shaped stadium with two big walls along the edge of the pitch? In the current climate we should be doing everything possible to entice the Warriors to stay, as it's clear that we have competition (Scotstoun); without them we would be in very serious financial trouble.

As for joint merchandise, we should at least look to harmonize our traditional away colour (navy blue) with the Warriors' blue outfit. I don't think it would be reasonable to ask them to switch to RY&B.

This all sounds brawsome!

I think they might be OK with it as they tend to use the Jackie Husband stand for both home and away matches.

However, Is there a campaign to get the Warriors to move to Scotstoun? I think John Beattie might have sounded off about it.

I am not 100% about it though.

The Warriors will move lock, stock to Scotstoun after the contract with Thistle ends. The date 2014 springs to mind. In believe all Warriors admin is carried out at Scotstoun as of this summer.

Others will know better but our pitch can't be ideal for rugby. Rugger pitches always look bigger to me than football pitches when you take the touchdown area behind the goals into consideration. I suppose the attraction of Firhill has been the capacity, amount of seating, bars etc so the Warriors might be minded to stay till they can get all their necessary infrastructure in place. I don't know the current set up and possibilities at Scotstoun :unsure: .

Glasgow Warriors cannot play rugby at Scotstoun as it is too small for a full sized rugby pitch.

Warriors coach Lineen had this to say in the Herald

“It’s just a shame we couldn’t get the rugby field in the middle there. It’s far too small. We’ve tried every which way to make it bigger, but everything else is here.

“We play our games at Firhill, but we have the weights here and the conditioning here. We can do all our training, and have a 3G pitch going up there,” he says indicating the expanse beyond the pitch."

I'd sure some will have thought of that by the time the move is made. It'd be rather embarrassing for all concerned, wouldn't it?

What move? They train there but the facilities don't allow them to play there and Lineen suggests it's simply not possible to fit a full sized rugby pitch there.. I was under the impression that nothing had been decided after the current contract ends.

What move? They train there but the facilities don't allow them to play there and Lineen suggests it's simply not possible to fit a full sized rugby pitch there.. I was under the impression that nothing had been decided after the current contract ends.

Would it be 100% Warriors decision or does the SRU have a say in all this? :unsure:

Well, it's possible that what I heard at two very public events at Scotstoun - one in earshot of a member of the royal family who likes a bit of the ol' egg chasing - may be wrong. Given that the Warriors have moved their offices out of Firhill and into Scotstoun leads me to believe their tenancy at Firhill isn't forever. Still, we have a few years to prepare - and Scotstoun could always do without that bloody running track. :)

The centre of the track at Scotstoun used to house a full size football pitch and have extra round so I don't know whats happened with all the space. As happy as I am for the club to have the cash from the Warriors, I hate how our pitch looks if they've been playing on a Friday before our Saturday game. I'm pretty sure the painting/covering up/re-painting couldn't have helped vs. Dunfermline at the linesman seemed to be having trouble identifying if the ball was out or in, mind you I could see it was out from where I was sitting.

Anyway I don't suppose beggers can be choosers. Could we not have sold half the ground to the Warriors and jointly developed the whole of Firhill for the benefit of us all? Surely they don't want to be someone's tenents for their whole existance? Or are the Warriors finances as tight as ours?

McCall in tonights times, "The biggest thing they have got to play for is that I think this is going to be a good place to be in the next two or three years and they will want to be part of it". What could he be talking about? I hope next weeks Trust meeting sheds some light on the plans for the future ...

The centre of the track at Scotstoun used to house a full size football pitch and have extra round so I don't know whats happened with all the space. As happy as I am for the club to have the cash from the Warriors, I hate how our pitch looks if they've been playing on a Friday before our Saturday game. I'm pretty sure the painting/covering up/re-painting couldn't have helped vs. Dunfermline at the linesman seemed to be having trouble identifying if the ball was out or in, mind you I could see it was out from where I was sitting.

Anyway I don't suppose beggers can be choosers. Could we not have sold half the ground to the Warriors and jointly developed the whole of Firhill for the benefit of us all? Surely they don't want to be someone's tenents for their whole existance? Or are the Warriors finances as tight as ours?

McCall in tonights times, "The biggest thing they have got to play for is that I think this is going to be a good place to be in the next two or three years and they will want to be part of it". What could he be talking about? I hope next weeks Trust meeting sheds some light on the plans for the future ...

I go to Scotstoun every weekend with the wee yin and we've been around the new stadium. The Warriors have what seems a built in presence there. It was rebuilt for the 2014 Games so once that's done I assume they could do something to house rugby matches. Once upon a time I heard talk that Thistle could end up there one day. Hope not. It would be like being back at Meadowbank again. Remember how much fun that was. No good pubs nearby either, though I live nearby.

Well, it's possible that what I heard at two very public events at Scotstoun - one in earshot of a member of the royal family who likes a bit of the ol' egg chasing - may be wrong. Given that the Warriors have moved their offices out of Firhill and into Scotstoun leads me to believe their tenancy at Firhill isn't forever. Still, we have a few years to prepare - and Scotstoun could always do without that bloody running track. :)

Moving their offices to where the staff train every day makes far more sense than having the offices in a place where they play their matches every so often so I wouldn't read too much into that. They've clearly looked into using Scotstoun for their games but reading the comments from Lineen and also those at the time of the renewing their contract with Thistle for Firhill it seems they are content enough staying put.

Unless there are major changes to Scotstoun it's essentially just a place to train just like Whitecraigs was except they don't have to use portakabins. Would Scotstoun get rid of the running track in order to facilitate the Warriors?

I know the Warriors' original plan was to make their home at Scotstoun and it is highly likely that will happen. It's clear they are being held back from that intention because of the Commonwealth Games. But things change. Scotstoun is still a cooncil owned venue. The Warriors might not have things all their own way there. If in 4-5 years time the Warriors are attracting crowds of 6000+, (they can fill firhill and have played in front of 40,000 crowds in France) Scotstoun would not be ready to accomodate that.

If we can show we are a good club with something to offer the community perhaps, when they do leave entirely, they might give us a reduced rate to use Scotstoun's world class training and medical facilities. Where are we preparing for matches at the moment?

We have an agreement that the Warriors will play at Firhill four the next 4 years. Is that not sufficient time to build a strong relationship with them that would be mutually beneficial during that period and beyond? We should be trying to get our name and brand as well known at Scotstoun, a vibrant, multi faceted sports complex with many visitors, as the Warriors at Firhill.

With the commonwealth games in mind, it's very sad that the club seems to have been unable to attract any investment into Firhill for that event. Millions are being spent across the city upgrading existing sports facilities. An opportunity lost? Maybe aye, maybe naw. However, maybe Firhill could provide some use for 2014? Volunteers hub? Some kind of training venue for the rugby 7s squads? Some kind of concert or other event for visiting tourists?

If not in an official capacity we ought to be thinking of ideas now for some kind of fringe event. The Games are huge and an opportunity not to be missed. Football is not on the list of official events could PTFC be the place for the un-official commonwealth cup? Perhaps an event the trust might be capable of running?

Edited by ChewinGumMacaroonBaaaz

Sorry to state the obvious, but Scotstoun has a running track because it is an athletics stadium/venue. :o Athletics is a participation sport for many more kids and adults than Rugby and is a pillar of GCC/NHS Glasgow health strategy. Pitch size is therefore determined by the track. :D

There are other rugby venues all over Glasgow that could be (or could have been) adopted and adapted for Glasgow Rugby. Scotstoun is by no means a done deal.

Re the Red & Yellow rugby shirts, isn't that West of Scotland?

I know the Warriors' original plan was to make their home at Scotstoun and it is highly likely that will happen. It's clear they are being held back from that intention because of the Commonwealth Games. But things change. Scotstoun is still a cooncil owned venue. The Warriors might not have things all their own way there. If in 4-5 years time the Warriors are attracting crowds of 6000+, (they can fill firhill and have played in front of 40,000 crowds in France) Scotstoun would not be ready to accomodate that.

If we can show we are a good club with something to offer the community perhaps, when they do leave entirely, they might give us a reduced rate to use Scotstoun's world class training and medical facilities. Where are we preparing for matches at the moment?

We have an agreement that the Warriors will play at Firhill four the next 4 years. Is that not sufficient time to build a strong relationship with them that would be mutually beneficial during that period and beyond? We should be trying to get our name and brand as well known at Scotstoun, a vibrant, multi faceted sports complex with many visitors, as the Warriors at Firhill.

With the commonwealth games in mind, it's very sad that the club seems to have been unable to attract any investment into Firhill for that event. Millions are being spent across the city upgrading existing sports facilities. An opportunity lost? Maybe aye, maybe naw. However, maybe Firhill could provide some use for 2014? Volunteers hub? Some kind of training venue for the rugby 7s squads? Some kind of concert or other event for visiting tourists?

If not in an official capacity we ought to be thinking of ideas now for some kind of fringe event. The Games are huge and an opportunity not to be missed. Football is not on the list of official events could PTFC be the place for the un-official commonwealth cup? Perhaps an event the trust might be capable of running?

Good post. I think the club 's inertia means that it is now too late to cash in on any Commonwealth Games funding. And what a pity, as some kind of relevant development of the city end and even the main stand might have been feasible, instead of the blinkered "demolish and build flats" mindset of Propco, which will see us left with a mutilated, lopsided apology of a stadium for evermore.