Paying Tribute to the Young Jags Support

topcat

We are all hurting for sure but I want to put a big shout out there to our young jags support. Watching you this last few weeks backing the team in big numbers and not stopping singing from start to end has been one of the highlights of this season. Ok there were a few bams with flares but just a few years ago if you went to Firhill the average age was def creeping past 40.

This is the time for fortitude and bloody mindedness. Its an absolute doddle to support the Old Firm but a real supporter goes thru thick and thin. 

With you lot on board "Thistle" are definitely back and you can hold your heads high and look forward the best league in Scotland, and it isn't the so called Premier.  So keep the faith and see you all next season :fan::clapping::fan::clapping:

Mona Theestle!

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

I arrived at the Thistle End very early and followed the steward's instruction to sit in my allotted seat, which was right in the middle of the stand. I thought this instruction was stupid as I expected this area would fill up with young fans who would stand and sing all game. This would be a problem for my 76-year-old legs, as I wouldn't be able to keep standing for 90 minutes, not to mention extra time and penalties. So as the hordes of young fans piled into the centre of the stand I found myself gradually moving further and further in the opposite direction.

This is not a complaint!  I just want to put on record that every young fan I encountered was polite, cheerful, and helpful. I had brief conversations with many I met and I asked them all the same question; ie had they first started coming to Firhill because of the 'under 16's go free' policy and most said 'yes'.  So a big thumbs-up to all these young lads and lassies, and another big thumbs-up to the Board who first introduced this ground-breaking policy.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, a f kincaid said:

In contrast, I asked a  steward the very same question and was told it was a "sit any where" job. Good to see they have their act together.  I wonder if any clubs have a strict allocated seat numbers policy and if so, how they enforce it. 

I kinda knew it would end up sit (stand) anywhere but I asked three different stewards and they all said it was sit as per allocated ticket. Allocated seating leads to a poorer atmosphere, young kids, elderly often can't see all the pitch and considerably adds to the stewarding work load. Ends up they're never gonna be able to strictly enforce it anyway. Another thing when tickets sold are limited to one per person it means fans who attend games together are split up. Just wish whoever is the head steward would realise the impracticalities and get his/her subordinates all singing from the same hymn sheet.

The backing the team has been receiving of late (in truth, most of the season) has been exceptional. I put this almost entirely down to the younger support who have been tremendous. Obviously there's been a few dafties falling out of line, but I imagine given a wee bit of time self policing will come into effect.

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett

22 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

I kinda knew it would end up sit (stand) anywhere but I asked three different stewards and they all said it was sit as per allocated ticket. Allocated seating leads to a poorer atmosphere, young kids, elderly often can't see all the pitch and considerably adds to the stewarding work load. Ends up they're never gonna be able to strictly enforce it anyway. Another thing when tickets sold are limited to one per person it means fans who attend games together are split up. Just wish whoever is the head steward would realise the impracticalities and get his/her subordinates all singing from the same hymn sheet.

The backing the team has been receiving of late (in truth, most of the season) has been exceptional. I put this almost entirely down to the younger support who have been tremendous. Obviously there's been a few dafties falling out of line, but I imagine given a wee bit of time self policing will come into effect.

The stewards will have been told that seating was allocated and that would be the line they passed on to fans. If they then told fans to sit where the liked they'd then have to deal with people who had seats together not getting them because others had taken "their" seat. A no-win situation for the stewards. Look at the thread on the forum where people were complaining that there was no allocated seating for the Firhill leg.