Season Tickets, Norwegian Style

Norgethistle

The Norwegian football season finshed on sunday night, this morning i get an e.mail asking me to renew my ticket. Only 2 and a half days since the last season finished. This is what we should be doing.

I can renew online, or change my seat online for my seat it works out as follows.

1900 NOK (£190) for 15 home games = 127 NOK (£12.70) a game

if i was to pay in it is 240 NOK a game = 3600 NOK (£360) a season a saving of 1700 NOK or £170 a season

also this year they have dropped the kids season ticket to 500 NOK which saves just over 1000 nok a season (no where as good as our kids prices but better than previous years, and a 30% discount on the new home top.

Norwegian football like most other countries is seeing a massive decline in there attendances alot due to games getting moved from 6pm on a sunday to either 8pm on the sunday or monday for telly and every game at 6 on a sunday being pay per view (not really pay per view as you can get a token from a pizza in a supermarket which will let you see it for free)

Viking seem to have realised they have a problem with attendances and are making moves to rectify it and like scottish football the majority of the clubs are skint with 2 going out of business this year and more teetering on the brink

To be fair to the club, i remember getting leafleted at a home game BEFORE the end of last season about 10/11 season tickets. No doubt, this could have been processed a little smoother but with the new board and staff, im sure the coming seasons will be a lot smoother.

Cost wise, I think we are fine - Norwegian kick-off times sound horrendous.

To be fair to the club, i remember getting leafleted at a home game BEFORE the end of last season about 10/11 season tickets. No doubt, this could have been processed a little smoother but with the new board and staff, im sure the coming seasons will be a lot smoother.

Cost wise, I think we are fine - Norwegian kick-off times sound horrendous.

There is a massive campaign going on to try to bring it back to sunday at 3pm, at the moment games are getting moved to the 8pm on sunday and monday with 2 weeks notice and for travelling fans going from say stavanger to oslo or thromso this causes huge problems as the size of the country you have to fly to some of the away games, plus kids (and there parents) are less likely to go at 8pm on a cold dark night with school the next day

The Norwegian football season finshed on sunday night, this morning i get an e.mail asking me to renew my ticket. Only 2 and a half days since the last season finished. This is what we should be doing.

I can renew online, or change my seat online for my seat it works out as follows.

1900 NOK (£190) for 15 home games = 127 NOK (£12.70) a game

if i was to pay in it is 240 NOK a game = 3600 NOK (£360) a season a saving of 1700 NOK or £170 a season

also this year they have dropped the kids season ticket to 500 NOK which saves just over 1000 nok a season (no where as good as our kids prices but better than previous years, and a 30% discount on the new home top.

Norwegian football like most other countries is seeing a massive decline in there attendances alot due to games getting moved from 6pm on a sunday to either 8pm on the sunday or monday for telly and every game at 6 on a sunday being pay per view (not really pay per view as you can get a token from a pizza in a supermarket which will let you see it for free)

Viking seem to have realised they have a problem with attendances and are making moves to rectify it and like scottish football the majority of the clubs are skint with 2 going out of business this year and more teetering on the brink

If I've understood, Norwegian football is also facing real big problems, so the club you mention has made season tickets more attractive than pay-at-the-gate? What remains to be seen is whether this will actually have any effect on overall attendances and income next season. For example, if regular pay-at-the-gate fans all buy a season ticket instead, and no new pay-at-the-gate supporters materialize (and why should they, given how expensive it is and all the other problems), then the club will lose money big time.

If I've understood, Norwegian football is also facing real big problems, so the club you mention has made season tickets more attractive than pay-at-the-gate? What remains to be seen is whether this will actually have any effect on overall attendances and income next season. For example, if regular pay-at-the-gate fans all buy a season ticket instead, and no new pay-at-the-gate supporters materialize (and why should they, given how expensive it is and all the other problems), then the club will lose money big time.

These prices less the kids ones have now been the same for 2 years, norwegian football (except rosenburg and valaranga) are in serious financial meltdown mostly due to football on tv (every english premiership game on live, every norwegian tippileague game on live etc etc) the money the clubs get from the tv deals is on a par with the alba cup to be honest, and they are trying hard to get folk back into the routine of coming to the game, sundays game they had sold just over 10000 tickets for (pay at the gate, season tickets, sponsor seats etc ) with just over 6000 in the ground

Why does a country colder and darker than Scotland have its games at 6pm? And why on a Sunday?

That would suck.

The only things open here on a sunday is the church and the pub with 1 or 2 grocery shops, you cant buy beer from a shop after 6pm on a saturday/ Sunday is classed as a day when people do there family things, and watching football comes into that. As for the 6pm in the summer its great but in the winter even with the heaters in the ground its crap, all down to the telly mans wallet i'm afraid

Clubs in Norway have been spending money they didn't have for years and it has backfired.

I think having most of the games on a Saturday would encourage attendances in Norway (easier to travel, make a night out of it etc), but it won't change.

Viking are doing a good thing with the season tickets though, because their performances on the pitch certainly haven't encouraged people to come and watch them.

• Members

With more and more people being turned off by Season Ticket prices, preferring to pay at the gate, perhaps it's now time for the Club to re-visit pricing of the ST's. A lot of former ST holders have said recently they have given up their Tickets, paying at the gate instead. In the long term if these folk attend every home game the Club will make more cash, however, many of them are now deciding to stay away altogether and once you get out of the habit, it's hard to regain it.

I reckon it would be worthwhile for next season at least, to try something different with the ST's. The Club make very little from gate money as it stands, so could maybe afford to gamble for one season at least.

With more and more people being turned off by Season Ticket prices, preferring to pay at the gate, perhaps it's now time for the Club to re-visit pricing of the ST's. A lot of former ST holders have said recently they have given up their Tickets, paying at the gate instead. In the long term if these folk attend every home game the Club will make more cash, however, many of them are now deciding to stay away altogether and once you get out of the habit, it's hard to regain it.

I reckon it would be worthwhile for next season at least, to try something different with the ST's. The Club make very little from gate money as it stands, so could maybe afford to gamble for one season at least.

To get the ball rolling with off-the-wall ideas: Ditch season tickets entirely. Instead, have a "priority card" which costs £100. You need to pay the normal price to get into matches, but that £100 quid lets you choose your seat, and gives vouchers for catering/ Aitken suite for every match throughout the season. So, no more spending on food and drink at any match! To encourage folk to buy the priority card early, if it's done before the end of June (say), then you'll get into one cup match free.

Edited by Jaggernaut