Herald Article Today

ayrshire jag

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HamiltonJag, Thistle and Firhill are both shit. If you support them anyway, like I do, that makes you a fan. If you think your team and ground is shit, that doesn't mean it's time to find another club.

Why do people think a move to Scotstoun would be soooo bad? It's in the west end, it's easy to get to, it's already there and has loads of facities. All that would be needed to improve it would be stick in a wee terrace with a low roof and we'd have a stadium that could be decent.

We spend so much time on here talking about all the various issues, and they almost all come back to Firhill not being an easy place to run or afford. I think it's time we moved, to be honest. I don't think we'd lose too many fans in the process. If they publicised it well, it might be an opportunity to find fans. People in Scotstoun, Hyndland and Anniesland know their local team is Thistle, so if they were on the doorstep we might end up acquiring quite a few of them. I think that no comparison can be drawn between the potential of a move like that to Clyde moving to Broadwood.

HamiltonJag, Thistle and Firhill are both shit. If you support them anyway, like I do, that makes you a fan. If you think your team and ground is shit, that doesn't mean it's time to find another club.

Why do people think a move to Scotstoun would be soooo bad? It's in the west end, it's easy to get to, it's already there and has loads of facities. All that would be needed to improve it would be stick in a wee terrace with a low roof and we'd have a stadium that could be decent.

We spend so much time on here talking about all the various issues, and they almost all come back to Firhill not being an easy place to run or afford. I think it's time we moved, to be honest. I don't think we'd lose too many fans in the process. If they publicised it well, it might be an opportunity to find fans. People in Scotstoun, Hyndland and Anniesland know their local team is Thistle, so if they were on the doorstep we might end up acquiring quite a few of them. I think that no comparison can be drawn between the potential of a move like that to Clyde moving to Broadwood.

The problem with Scotstoun, as with all stadia with running tracks, is that the fans are too far from the pitch. However, Scotstoun does have a capacity of 5,000 already. If we had to leave Firhill for financial reasons, it would be a viable option. The Warriors train there now.

Scotstoun is an athletics venue and that doesn't really lend itself well to football. Thing is, if matters at Firhill go as I fear they're going to go it's the nearest sporting venue to the west of Glasgow our club could walk into. Anniesland and Hughenden are nice but they don't really fit the bill for our mass delusion that Thistle is still a pro football team with SPL aspirations.

Firhill is SPL compliant though. :rolleyes:

Scotstoun is an athletics venue and that doesn't really lend itself well to football. Thing is, if matters at Firhill go as I fear they're going to go it's the nearest sporting venue to the west of Glasgow our club could walk into. Anniesland and Hughenden are nice but they don't really fit the bill for our mass delusion that Thistle is still a pro football team with SPL aspirations.

Firhill is SPL compliant though. :rolleyes:

Totally agree but how are we going to pay off £700k our post-PropCo debt? Scotstoun would need only 1000 to 1500 more seats to meet SPL requirements. That might tempt the board and Glasgow Warriors too.

:blink:

St Mirren managed to attain a sound financial footing by doing just that. As did St Johnstone. In saying that, neither sold half their stadium to club-minded investors.

St Johnstone were gifted land for zilch to build their stadium. And St Mirren got a very tidy sum from selling off their entire land assets in a oner. In typical Thistle fashion, we've been killing off Firhill by a thousand cuts, and what's left of it now (especially in the current climate) is probably worth a fraction of what it would have been worth as one large site a few years ago. My guess is that there's no way that we could sell what's left of Firhill and be able to afford a new stadium that was anything other than a 1- or 2-sided stadium of around 4,000 places.

Grim.

Edited by Jaggernaut

Totally agree but how are we going to pay off £700k our post-PropCo debt? Scotstoun would need only 1000 to 1500 more seats to meet SPL requirements. That might tempt the board and Glasgow Warriors too.

The Warriors have stated officially that they cannot get a regulation-size rugby pitch fitted into Scotstoun, so they won't be playing there.

Just a reply to those that are suggesting that moving away from Firhill will give us a "competitive" team on the park, what's this based on? St Johnstone and Hamilton have mostly been struggling away in the second teir of football for many years after their moves to new stadia. Take a look at Clyde. I'm sure that the fans of all these teams were told that the future looked bright in order to sell the move. It's already looking like St Johnstone and Hamilton (along with St Mirren) will be struggling to avoid the drop at the end of this season (unless Aberdeen end up bottom, in which case there'll be no relegation).