Herald Article Today

ayrshire jag

While we anxiously wait for word to come down from on high in David Beattie's next programme article, and the JTB form a circular firing squad, I just wondered: is anyone actually doing anything?

Honved and Stolenscone are grappling with the 50/50 draw, BCG Jag is gathering names for a democratic assault on the Trust and... Well, is there anyone else doing something we can get behind? :unknw:

Well I'm going to Firhill, so we can all get behind the Jags :thumbsup2:

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is Norman Springford still involved in the club or propco as hotels was his thing

According to last week's Edinburgh Evening News, Norman is semi-retired and involved in tourism promotion for the capital, as well as Stenhousemuir. I wasn't under the impression he has an interest in Propco. Happy to be corrected on that.

The Herald article did nothing to assuage my fears for the future of the club. Perhaps the battle has been won now that Allan Cowan is gone and Tom Hughes now provides only accounting services for the club. I'm sure that'll make everything more palatable now that the guys in charge are our pals.

Seems some of us are getting behind the wholesale destruction of Firhill :thumbdown:

The wholesale destruction of Firhill just might save Thistle. The burden of keeping it going could kill our club. As with sacking the board, sacking the trust board or tearing the old girl down, there has to be something built in its place.

The wholesale destruction of Firhill just might save Thistle. The burden of keeping it going could kill our club. As with sacking the board, sacking the trust board or tearing the old girl down, there has to be something built in its place.

So to save money we destroy the stadium then build another one. A bit like me going out and torching my motor then trying to find the 15 grand to buy a new one...... oh wait.... maybe your analogy here is going out, torching my motor and buying a micro scooter. I get it now.

Genius plan! Get the bunting out and let's party! :frantic:

Edited by hamiltonjag

So to save money we destroy the stadium then build another one. A bit like me going out and torching my motor then trying to find the 15 grand to buy a new one...... oh wait.... maybe your analogy here is going out, torching my motor and buying a micro scooter. I get it now.

Genius plan! Get the bunting out and let's party! :frantic:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Perhaps I should speak figuratively. Wouldn't want you burning your Bentley, HamiltonJag.

:blink:

St Mirren managed to attain a sound financial footing by doing just that. As did St Johnstone. In saying that, neither sold half their stadium to club-minded investors.

I'm probably not alone in worrying that Thistle's business has become half-baked property enterprise with a services company plonked on top of it rather than football. That's where I am disconnecting from the club.

So you're saying that a big supermarket chain is interested in buying Firhill?

Eh, no. But I'm not saying it's beyounf the realms of possibility either. You're right in saying that for the comparison with the other two clubs to be exact then a supermarket chain would have to buy the ground, but I wasn't aiming for exact.

Hindsight's a wonderful thing, but Firhill's an albatross than should've been cut loose years ago.

What would people rather have? A crumbling 'memory-packed' edifice or a competitive team on the park? The ground is one of the things dragging the club down

Emotion and sentiment are key to football, but they're over-emphasised to the detriment of progress.

Edited by The Incredible Adam Spark

Eh, no. But I'm not saying it's beyounf the realms of possibility either. You're right in saying that for the comparison with the other two clubs to be exact then a supermarket chain would have to buy the ground, but I wasn't aiming for exact.

Hindsight's a wonderful thing, but Firhill's an albatross than should've been cut loose years ago.

OK. Let's imagine you're head of a large supermarket chain. Are you going to buy the land Firhill sits on for your new supermarket Maryhill branch? Eh. No. Non-starter. Not going to happen ever, so your comparison with the other two clubs is a bit ummmmm daft (sorry). Whether you were going for an exact comparison or not. There is no comparison.....at all. As for Firhill being an albatross I assume you're all for a move to Scotstoun or East Kilbride (no other alternative has been suggested anywhere). In that case I would suggest you and aleeged fans like you are the albatross.

Firhill forever.

Firhill forever.

Very selfish of you. What's in store for the next generation of Thistle fans? A sh*t team playing in a sh*t ground. The stadium and the land it's situated on should have been sold off during the spate of surrounding regeneration. It's never going to realise it's value now.

Firhill is the root cause of many, if not all of our problems.

I assume you're all for a move to Scotstoun or East Kilbride (no other alternative has been suggested anywhere).

Other alternatives were suggested. You only have to read The Herald piece for mention of one. Springburn, too, was once viewed as an alternative. In fact, I'm pretty sure a prominent past poster put a plan in front of the club utilising a site in Sprigburn that was dismissed without due consideration or consultation.

Other alternatives were suggested. You only have to read The Herald piece for mention of one. Springburn, too, was once viewed as an alternative. In fact, I'm pretty sure a prominent past poster put a plan in front of the club utilising a site in Sprigburn that was dismissed without due consideration or consultation.

**SHUDDER**

Very selfish of you. What's in store for the next generation of Thistle fans? A sh*t team playing in a sh*t ground. The stadium and the land it's situated on should have been sold off during the spate of surrounding regeneration. It's never going to realise it's value now.

Firhill is the root cause of many, if not all of our problems.

Ever thought of supporting someone else then if we're so sh*t and Firhill's so sh*t? Not a criticism, just an observation.

Past the point of constructive debate, I see.

It passed that point when you compared us to St Mirren and St. Johnstone.

It went waaay past that point when you cherry-picked meaningless minutiae like "not just East Kilbride and Scotstoun but Springburn too" (ooooooh)

It got waaaaaay waaaaaay past that point when you turned on your team and your stadium by claiming they're both "sh*t".