Herald Article Today

ayrshire jag

Correct. Like I said, Graeme was far from sober the last time he was in Firhill.

Ah ok. I got the impression from your earlier post that ground development plans had changed. So basically Gilfillan stated to the journo what was presented 6 months ago.

If anyone wants the pictures displayed at the Propco meeting back in April PM me.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So he was saying that the work, itself, will take 15 months when it gets going? When is it going to start?

As an aside, I'm stufying Company Law and Conflict of Interest right now. Are there any people with Company Law experience on here that could clarify the situation regarding the club directors who are on the Propco board? I'm yet to read into it properly, myself.

Edited by PaleGreySky

Here's a recently built stadium with a decent atmosphere, well, that is when the game is decent and you're in the terraces, particularly the away terrace in the final photo. If a new stadium was to be built I'd hope for something like this, with a slightly larger stand, or two stands, kind of like Frihill a little over 10 years ago...

If only terraces were allowed :(

Edit: Apologies for taking this off topic. I'm not really sure what to take from the article, as said above there are lot's of questions to be raised from it, and the probability of it being there to reassure our business partners as LIB says seems likely.

I've certainly seen worse stadia.

Graeme who wrote the article is a mate and we've been discussing this article for a while now. He also talked to Ronnie about a couple of other issues (which would be of most interest to Thistle fans but not to a wider audience so, given space constraints, those lines were left out of the article) namely that they are considering a share issue and apparently they want to keep it a 4-sided stadium but 3 of the sides will have very little seating, or as he put it, similar to what's on the north side at the minute. I know he's not a regular at Firhill, but he was in the North Stand for a mutual friend's stag night last season. This might explain why he can't remember how big that stand is :thinking:

I guess that todays article, read in conjunction with the column in the programme tomorrow might give a more consise picture of the boards intentions, and might answer a few of the questions that are flying around at the momment.

I can understand people having questions based on the articles, but I think the board are really making an effort now and don't deserve some of the criticism currently flying around. They have been far more open recently, and theres nothing to say that, if they are considering a future share issue for instance, we wont see a 'Meet the board' evening where our questions can be raised.

I can understand people having questions based on the articles, but I think the board are really making an effort now and don't deserve some of the criticism currently flying around. They have been far more open recently, and theres nothing to say that, if they are considering a future share issue for instance, we wont see a 'Meet the board' evening where our questions can be raised.

What criticism? :unsure:

I would focus on replacing the main stand with hospitality boxes and a family area. The police and the offices would move to the City end which would have a small terrace or disabled area. That would leave the JHS with more space to improve the facilities for the core adult supporters.

I would focus on replacing the main stand with hospitality boxes and a family area. The police and the offices would move to the City end which would have a small terrace or disabled area. That would leave the JHS with more space to improve the facilities for the core adult supporters.

Funded by? :P

Do you change your position depending on the thread? :unsure:

Excellent idea for the main stand area. Including changing rooms etc?

Excellent idea for the main stand area. Including changing rooms etc?

If we are going to develop the main stand area, it would make sense to make the most of that space for other activities, e.g. offices and retail space to be let to 3rd parties.

I stayed at the Headingley Lodge hotel (http://www.headingleylodge.co.uk), part of the cricket ground, a few years ago. My hotel room had its own seats overlooking the ground. It served as a box on match days. At other times, they took out the tables and chairs and replaced with them with bedroom furniture.

That would be a great model for Thistle in partnership with a hotel operator, e.g. Travelodge or Premier Inns. The hotel's bar(s), restaurant and dining room could be used by the club on match days. You could combine wedding receptions, birthday parties etc with a home game!

Propco if we are going to have a 3 or 4 sided ground.

I am still sceptical of the need for more seating at this time.

You do realise propco is to make money for the investors, not to make facilities for the club? The club will get the bare minimum in facilities out of it - there is absolutely NO WAY we will get hospitality boxes and a family area. The main stand will likely end up a big block of flats in 5 years time, if anything happens at all.

If we are going to develop the main stand area, it would make sense to make the most of that space for other activities, e.g. offices and retail space to be let to 3rd parties.

I stayed at the Headingley Lodge hotel (http://www.headingleylodge.co.uk), part of the cricket ground, a few years ago. My hotel room had its own seats overlooking the ground. It served as a box on match days. At other times, they took out the tables and chairs and replaced with them with bedroom furniture.

That would be a great model for Thistle in partnership with a hotel operator, e.g. Travelodge or Premier Inns. The hotel's bar(s), restaurant and dining room could be used by the club on match days. You could combine wedding receptions, birthday parties etc with a home game!

This is quite an interesting model. when I hear all the talk about retail developments/housing/commercial activities - I think, where is all this going to come from? But stick a Travelodge in and it starts to make sense - we're just off the M8 on the road to Loch Lomond, and while I'm never going to argue that Jaconelli's is challenging for a Michelin star (although it's damn good and doesn't need one!) there's a lot of stuff nearby to interest the tourista mob. Viva la Firhill Riviera!

This is quite an interesting model. when I hear all the talk about retail developments/housing/commercial activities - I think, where is all this going to come from? But stick a Travelodge in and it starts to make sense - we're just off the M8 on the road to Loch Lomond, and while I'm never going to argue that Jaconelli's is challenging for a Michelin star (although it's damn good and doesn't need one!) there's a lot of stuff nearby to interest the tourista mob. Viva la Firhill Riviera!

We can't afford to have expensive assets only earning cash on match days. Firhill's location near the City centre and M8 makes it suitable for a Travelodge or Premier Inn. Those hotel companies are expanding at a fast rate. Travelodge have opened up a big new hotel near me and have just acquired another site nearby. They get business, sporting and tourist customers. Small businessmen are price sensitive and big companies don't want to shell out £200 plus in a recession.

We can't afford to have expensive assets only earning cash on match days. Firhill's location near the City centre and M8 makes it suitable for a Travelodge or Premier Inn. Those hotel companies are expanding at a fast rate. Travelodge have opened up a big new hotel near me and have just acquired another site nearby. They get business, sporting and tourist customers. Small businessmen are price sensitive and big companies don't want to shell out £200 plus in a recession.

Is Norman Springford still involved in the club or propco as hotels was his thing

Am I really the only one appalled by this thought? :blink:

So how would you pay off £700k of post-PropCo debts? IIRC, PropCo paid around £800k. Without the development of Firhill, we would owe £1.5 million. Any development has to add to value and a new stand would be a financial disaster without such a partnership. The experience of English clubs is that corporate box holders expect a first class product. Being sworn at in the Directors' box is a major problem.

"So you can start to see some of the benefits arising from having business guys on board instead of just accountants and lawyers."

On board or in charge? They've been there for a while now and their expertise have not been utilised enough for the benefit of the club. I don't think this was a 'big up' for the remaining board members, for me it was a sideswipe at Messers Cowan and Hughes. All in the interpretation tho I guess.

"But if some utter catastrophic situation arose and push came to shove, we know we have the assets.

Do we though? even with half the stadium sold off? That's a good question, one I asked here on the administration thread but no-one seems to know the answer

"I predict we will be in the top half come the end of the season"

McCall has already stated this season we will win more games than we will lose. Senior figures at PTFC in the past have a pretty crap habit on not keeping their promises or predictions. I agree with him, I think we can and will be in the top 5 (I'll take 12 points from every 18 going :D )...but at least he isn't giving out the 'we can push for promotion this year' like Cowan trotted out every year when he knew fine well it was highly unlikely.

"I think we have one of the best managers in Scotland and I, personally, would support Ian until the cows came home."

If he was one of the best managers we wouldn't be where we are right now in the table.

Lets say for instance we're bottom of the league come christmas/New Year/Spring several points behind 9th position would he still support him then? If McCall had better resources I think you would have a different opinion, 2010 is when it all went tits up on the park....the same time we started savaging the budget and losing our best coaches....but I aint gona keep beating that drum. One of the best managers in Scotland tho? Maybe in the top 15.

"You’ve got to be optimistic as a Partick Thistle fan or you would slit your wrists!" It's bloody true tho

Justs reminds me something Cowan would hit out with.

Edited by Steven H

Yeah I'm skint too. Here. Have my family silver.

You might as well take my first born and my house. What? You want my car too? OK Mr Propco.

*shudders as Mr Propco unzips his flies

So you can't offer an alternative to PropCo. Given time and access to the club's finances, I might be able to find new investors. However, any investment needs to be based on new business models, e.g. those that I described earlier. The biggest barrier is the negativity of fans, many of whom who think that investors should pay off the mistakes of former board members. If Cowan, Hughes & McMaster are willing cancel their shares, I would be interested in investing if the terms are right. However, I will not pay off past debts, especially those resulting from their financial mismanagement, e.g. the money wasted on Dick Campbell.

So you can't offer an alternative to PropCo. Given time and access to the club's finances, I might be able to find new investors. However, any investment needs to be based on new business models, e.g. those that I described earlier. The biggest barrier is the negativity of fans, many of whom who think that investors should pay off the mistakes of former board members. If Cowan, Hughes & McMaster are willing cancel their shares, I would be interested in investing if the terms are right. However, I will not pay off past debts, especially those resulting from their financial mismanagement, e.g. the money wasted on Dick Campbell.

So we flog the stadium. Genius idea. Flog off the Main Stand to build a hotel and shops and offices. Great! And here was I thinking Partick Thistle was a fitba club, not Maryhill's answer to Braehead.

While we anxiously wait for word to come down from on high in David Beattie's next programme article, and the JTB form a circular firing squad, I just wondered: is anyone actually doing anything?

Honved and Stolenscone are grappling with the 50/50 draw, BCG Jag is gathering names for a democratic assault on the Trust and... Well, is there anyone else doing something we can get behind? :unknw:

While we anxiously wait for word to come down from on high in David Beattie's next programme article, and the JTB form a circular firing squad, I just wondered: is anyone actually doing anything?

Honved and Stolenscone are grappling with the 50/50 draw, BCG Jag is gathering names for a democratic assault on the Trust and... Well, is there anyone else doing something we can get behind? :unknw:

Seems some of us are getting behind the wholesale destruction of Firhill :thumbdown: