The 'kids Go Free' Scheme

Let me make it clear before I go any further that I'm not in favour of this, but think it's still a relevant question to ask.

I know the success of the initiative is hard to guage given its long-term ambitions, but, in these straightened times, do we feel it has the potential to generate substantial future income when the focus is currently very much on the short term?

Rather than bump prices back up to pre-initiative levels, should we be placing a small charge on kids' entry? We can't expect the parents of visiting fans, ignoring those travelling supporters who take the piss, support our cause, but will our own father/mothers start chipping in in an attempt to ease our financial burden?

In the past I've posted that I don't particularly like the under 16s go free scheme purely because it's far too easy for the away fans to take the piss as you've mentioned. If it helped to generate cash I'd be in favour of it being under 12s go free and with those between the ages of 12 and 16 paying saying £3-£5 and perhaps discounted parent and child or family tickets.

I don't think anyone with kids aged 12-16 would begrudge a few extra quid when we desperately need the money .

I'm all in favour of the kids go free scheme.

However, I think that we should limit it to home fans only as I've not noticed any rise in away attendances (quite the opposite in fact) and we all know that the scheme is being abused by away fans who are over 16. (not that I'm blaming them, I still chance it with an out of date student card at every away ground I can get away with)

Scrap it now, and there'll be even fewer children at the matches than there are now. Probably fewer adults too, who might have to think twice if they need to pay even just a few quid for a couple of youngsters.

You seem very much in favour of maintaining the status quo, Jaggernaut. Keep the 'Kids Go Free Scheme', retain players on full-time contracts. Do you expect the current financial ill wind to blow over sometime soon?

I don't think it's possible to alter agte prices for away fans, is it? In any case, can we be seen to be penalising travelling supporters as a solution to our own financial incompetence?

We can charge different prices for diferent areas of the ground. Many clubs currently do it.

As for charging away fans for our own financial problems, I've no problem with it. Like I said, many have been abusing it and no Thistle fan benefits from a reciprocal kids go free scheme at their ground.

I don't think it's possible to alter agte prices for away fans, is it? In any case, can we be seen to be penalising travelling supporters as a solution to our own financial incompetence?

That's true but it's possible to get around it without breaking the rules. You could charge £3 for both home and away fans under 16s but hand out vouchers at games or have it in a local paper once a week which entitle under 16s free entry to the next home game. So home fans would be able to access the discount but the majority of away fans couldn't. Raith Rovers did this before.

I'm being a complete hypocrite here of course as I moaned when Stirling were meant to be putting the voucher for free student entry to their league game v us in a local paper but needs must.

Also you can charge different prices for different stands I think but someone else would need to confirm that.

Edited by Pie Of The Month

Because the facilities differ? In theory, you'd be charging them more for sitting in a poorer part of the ground. That's a non-starter, imo.

It's not like the adult prices will differ.

I reckon we can charge u16's in the away stand and still offer the scheme in the JHS. All we would need to do is say kids go free is only offered in the kids section.

Edited by GrantB

You seem very much in favour of maintaining the status quo, Jaggernaut. Keep the 'Kids Go Free Scheme', retain players on full-time contracts. Do you expect the current financial ill wind to blow over sometime soon?

I thought that it might come across as that when I typed my response! Things need to change, of course, but not just at Firhill. In the short-term we need to generate more income. But somehow I don't see how charging children to see a medicore team, and maybe one that's going to go part-time, would have any benefit at all. As I've already written, I reckon the move to part-time status would see our crowds decline fast, dramatically and for ever, along with the hope of ever playing at the top level again.

Instead I think that what's needed while the game in general (not just PTFC) sorts itself out are some kinds of cash-generating schemes, of whatever kind whatsoever. I suppose without making it explicit I'm thinking in terms of a Save the Jags type massive effort by everybody, club and fans. One thing that StJ was always proud of is that "everybody got something" for their money, even if it was down to the pleasure of sponsoring a player in the 24-hr footie match (which I still haven't recovered from!), a badge, or whatever. Not begging bowls, but offer people something, even raffles, in the knowledge that it's all going to help to pay off the club debt, and people will respond.

If another team tried to do that to us, you'd have a freaking canary.

I've taken my 4 year old a few times now, and I'd be willing to pay up to a fiver for him to get in.

Good to know that some people are willing to shell out to help the club out even more. It reminds me or those pensioners who write to newspapers saying that they don't think it's necessary for pensioners to get free bus travel, and that they would be willing to pay x amount. Of course, nothing is to stop them paying, if that's what they want! Likewise, anybody who'd be willing to pay more to get into a match, or pay for their child etc, is perfectly free to pay the difference to the club in the form of 50/50 tickets or whatever. It all comes down to money for the club. Hell, I could even do it myself, and have stated that I'm ready to part with more money, but only for something attractive in return, and I don't mean another hospitality event (however much I enjoy them), or 50/50 tickets.

Not sure what I'm talking myself into or out of here, so will stop!

The Kids for Free might be a financial plus. A parent bringing a couple of kids to a game might think twice about forking out more. You just need to get a handful of parents thinking that way and we're £17 down at the gate each time.

Definitely a factor to consider. Just goes to show how difficult balancing the books is going to be and highlights the hard choices to be considered when attempting to do so.

What about a 'pay what you want' deal for u16s. I think it was Mansfield who ran a 'pay what you want' gate price for home and away fans of all ages a couple of years back, and as a one off I believe it made some cash with entry prices ranging from a penny in the away end to an elderly lifelong supporter paying £50 in. Might look it up to double check...

The Kids for Free might be a financial plus. A parent bringing a couple of kids to a game might think twice about forking out more. You just need to get a handful of parents thinking that way and we're £17 down at the gate each time.

Without figures no one can be right on this point but I believe that those paying for their kids to come plus under 16s coming on their own/with friends would more than make up for those who decided not to pay their £17 due to a change in the kids go free policy.

Here it is. Not something that would be sustained in the long run obviously, but as a scheme for u16 entry it would generate more than kids for free does (make it a 10p minimum and that's at least a couple of quid made from chancers in the away end each game). You could even give away the corresponding number of 50/50 tickets for the entry price paid, giving an incentive for those who enter to at least pay 50p or more, and kids might get excited with the prospect of winning the mystery runner up prize...

What about a 'pay what you want' deal for u16s. I think it was Mansfield who ran a 'pay what you want' gate price for home and away fans of all ages a couple of years back, and as a one off I believe it made some cash with entry prices ranging from a penny in the away end to an elderly lifelong supporter paying £50 in. Might look it up to double check...

Good idea.

Here it is. Not something that would be sustained in the long run obviously, but as a scheme for u16 entry it would generate more than kids for free does (make it a 10p minimum and that's at least a couple of quid made from chancers in the away end each game). You could even give away the corresponding number of 50/50 tickets for the entry price paid, giving an incentive for those who enter to at least pay 50p or more, and kids might get excited with the prospect of winning the mystery runner up prize...

Is it legal for kids to do 50/50 ticket-type gambling?

I genuinely don't know.

The kids go free deal definitely helps me more than it does the club, in my case. I take my son, and every fortnight I have my nephew as well. Its quite good that I can take them both and not pay any more, but paying for them doesn't deter me from taking them away - i've paid for them both at Stirling, but I think Greenock run a similar scheme to us. Raith and Cowdenbeith do a parent and child price. I think that Jaggernaut touched on it in another topic, but the only benefit the club see to me going with one or two kids is through the catering. I still only buy one programme, three 50/50s and once you've joined the centenery fund, there aren't many other ways for you to give to the club. I'd happily let them keep my £20 for us to get in. I'm almost looking forward to seeing what the new initiative is.

Edited by MerryHell