Palestinian And Basque Flags?

patrick bateman

What relevance does it have to Partick Thistle Football Club?

As I said, none.

I have seen Basque flags at Celtic games recently, and while guessing it was some sort of political statment hadn't quite made the connection to ETA (probably because all the Basques I have ever met have also been proud frenchmen totally against Basque independance)

Just out of interest, what would opinions be if someone turned up with a Catalonian flag? the independance movement (and ETA) is far bigger there than at the other end of the french-spanish border, but it is a red and yellow flag...

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As I said, none.

I have seen Basque flags at Celtic games recently, and while guessing it was some sort of political statment hadn't quite made the connection to ETA (probably because all the Basques I have ever met have also been proud frenchmen totally against Basque independance)

Just out of interest, what would opinions be if someone turned up with a Catalonian flag? the independance movement (and ETA) is far bigger there than at the other end of the french-spanish border, but it is a red and yellow flag...

The catalonia flag has nothing to do with ETA!

With a blue triangle on its side with a white star on it. Never seen one at Firhill.

You normally see the flag without the blue chunk and white star - just red and yellow horizontal stripes. If it were that I wouldn't be bothered in the slightest. Your first impressions of it would be a red and yellow Thistle flag because the design is plain and simple.

It used to be quite a big thing at Firhill to see what you could find in Thistle colours - I remember having a red and yellow Roy of The Rovers scarf and hat I was quite proud of, and a lot of my mates had similar stuff. Remember trying to get a West rugby shirt as well but they weren't available in those days.

Football was fun then...........

Hope everybody is this vocal if that red and yellow union jack ever turns up at firhill again.

I dont really have a problem with it. It's only a UJ if it is red, white and blue. Otherwise it's just another flag in Thistle colours.

As for flags in non Thistle colours, I don't see the point.

I dont really have a problem with it. It's only a UJ if it is red, white and blue. Otherwise it's just another flag in Thistle colours.

As for flags in non Thistle colours, I don't see the point.

Correct.

If it's a red, white and blue UJ i would not be happy but in Thistle colours i rather like it.

What a load of shi'ite. I've been going to Thistle games for over 40 years and never ONCE have I heard or uttered or heard a word of politics whilst there. Not have I witnessed any political activity - unless you call not sitting down your seat political activity....

We don't want these flags. Leave them to the stone-age cretins of the Old Filth.

Well done for avoiding it then.

When I say, football and politics cannot be separated, I mean that football functions in a political world, which it is not exempt from. Whether it be which values are promoted in football like supporting "Show Racism the Red Card" and the "Poppy Appeal" or how football is organised (the football authorities, Thistle BoD, Jags Trust, the application to redevelop Firhill etc), we are part of the political reality and that means that everything from the shouts of "Sack the Board" to players and fans displaying red cards is whether we like it or not, political statements. Nobody is saying that we should open up Firhill for all kinds of political stunts. The only thing I stress is that we recognise political statements as political when we encounter them instead of hiding behind age-old phrases like "keeping football and politics separate"...

Well done for avoiding it then.

When I say, football and politics cannot be separated, I mean that football functions in a political world, which it is not exempt from. Whether it be which values are promoted in football like supporting "Show Racism the Red Card" and the "Poppy Appeal" or how football is organised (the football authorities, Thistle BoD, Jags Trust, the application to redevelop Firhill etc), we are part of the political reality and that means that everything from the shouts of "Sack the Board" to players and fans displaying red cards is whether we like it or not, political statements. Nobody is saying that we should open up Firhill for all kinds of political stunts. The only thing I stress is that we recognise political statements as political when we encounter them instead of hiding behind age-old phrases like "keeping football and politics separate"...

Oh, right. OK then.

German & Belgium flags are red yellow and black, our colours... no problem

Why is there no problem? Is it that only flags in Thistle colours are 'acceptable'? Is the saltire okay? We follow a Scottish club and the saltire is our national flag but it's also a Christian symbol and we don't want religion at Firhill. It's a bit like politics.

Is the Union flag okay? Scotland is part of the UK. Is the EU flag okay? The UK is a member of the European Union.

I believe Jags fans will have a sound idea of what they can and can't take to a game. All this shrieking about Basque flags is a nonsense.

What a load of shi'ite. I've been going to Thistle games for over 40 years and never ONCE have I heard or uttered or heard a word of politics whilst there. Not have I witnessed any political activity - unless you call not sitting down your seat political activity....

We don't want these flags. Leave them to the stone-age cretins of the Old Filth.

Jesus Christ Davie. Are you sure you've been coming to Firhill that long? ;) I am disappointed that someone has been going to Jags games for so long and hasn't taken part in any political discourse. You don't know what you're missing.

Are you seriously saying that since 1970 you've been at a Jags game and no-one discussed UCS, the three-day week, Israel and Palestine, Top of the Pops, power cuts, Watergate, Thatcher, punk, the Falklands campaign, the miners' strike, Aids, the fall of the Berlin Wall, Mandela's release, the Gulf Wars?

Are you Rip Van Winkle? That's not Firhill, that's Firhell.

Jesus Christ Davie. Are you sure you've been coming to Firhill that long? ;) I am disappointed that someone has been going to Jags games for so long and hasn't taken part in any political discourse. You don't know what you're missing.

Are you seriously saying that since 1970 you've been at a Jags game and no-one discussed UCS, the three-day week, Israel and Palestine, Top of the Pops, power cuts, Watergate, Thatcher, punk, the Falklands campaign, the miners' strike, Aids, the fall of the Berlin Wall, Mandela's release, the Gulf Wars?

I discussed the three day week with Dick Campbell but the miner's son was reluctant to do overtime.

Topics of conversation whilst at the game...

the game

past games

future games

games other teams are playing

games other teams have played

games other teams are gonna play

drinking

farting

that pretty much covers it

As an internationalist communist, I see Euskadi (Basque) nationalism completely reactionary.

There is nothing in common between Irish and Euskadi nationalism. Irish nationalism is the movement for national reunification which is historically just and supportable. But is there anything progressive in Euskadi nationalism? I think no.

I'd reckon the comments directed at Airdrie's John Martin every time he visited Firhill were fairly politically motivated.....

Unlikely. I think you'll find that the motivation was to wind Martin up. I shouted the comments at him even though, at the time, I didn't give two sh1ts either way about the miners strike.

I'd reckon the comments directed at Airdrie's John Martin every time he visited Firhill were fairly politically motivated.....

Showing my ignorance here in an area that I do have an interest in, but what was Martin's position on the strike? Did he scab or something? I genuinely don't know about this.

Edited to add: I've just googled this to find out that he had been accused of scabbing during the strike. I don't want to pillory him for something that may not be true, BUT, if it is true then... :mad2:

Edited by Blackpool Jags