Ibrox Disaster Benefit Match 1971

afghan

I went to that game at Hampden when I was a wee boy. I don't recall much about it, other than it was a Scotland team against a Rangers/Celtic select, which included at least a number of non-OF players: I am sure that George Best and Bobby Charlton played, at least. Anyone got any details? Any Thistle players involved? I looked on Google but quickly found myself wading through pages of OF bile and hatred, and was losing the will to live, frankly. My curiosity about this stems from a conversation I was having with my 12 year old about why people sit at football matches, and he is interested in the the details of that match, including what the teams wore. I think the select played in all white.

I went to that game at Hampden when I was a wee boy. I don't recall much about it, other than it was a Scotland team against a Rangers/Celtic select, which included at least a number of non-OF players: I am sure that George Best and Bobby Charlton played, at least. Anyone got any details? Any Thistle players involved? I looked on Google but quickly found myself wading through pages of OF bile and hatred, and was losing the will to live, frankly. My curiosity about this stems from a conversation I was having with my 12 year old about why people sit at football matches, and he is interested in the the details of that match, including what the teams wore. I think the select played in all white.

I was too young to have been at such a match, and I can't remember having actually seen any footage but for some reason your description of the match rings a bell, so perhaps i've heard of it in the past.

Unfortunately anything that draws the OF together usually ends in the trading of hate filled exchanges, what they forget is that when something like that happens it immediately becomes about people, not Rangers, not Celtic , just people , the fact it was a football disaster only serves to further connect football people to the implications of such an event,but it's as people that we are effected by it. With a slight twist of fate(he watched that game from his usual spot and was standing on stairway 13 at the final whistle) I could have lost my father that day, i'd have grown up without ever knowing him, truely terrible event in Scotland's history.

I was there as well as a 10 year old, so my memory is much the same as yours. I remember it was the first time I was ever in the old North Stand (what a view) & I think the select wore all-white. Best & Charlton definitely played but I don't remember who else

I was too young to have been at such a match, and I can't remember having actually seen any footage but for some reason your description of the match rings a bell, so perhaps i've heard of it in the past.

Unfortunately anything that draws the OF together usually ends in the trading of hate filled exchanges, what they forget is that when something like that happens it immediately becomes about people, not Rangers, not Celtic , just people , the fact it was a football disaster only serves to further connect football people to the implications of such an event,but it's as people that we are effected by it. With a slight twist of fate(he watched that game from his usual spot and was standing on stairway 13 at the final whistle) I could have lost my father that day, i'd have grown up without ever knowing him, truely terrible event in Scotland's history.

Good post.