When The Club Moved To Firhill

sigesige00

The West of Scotland Cricket club still play at our old home in Hamilton Crescent. It's a crackin place to go on a nice day in the summer and take in a game of cricket. There's still stuff on the walls about thistle too

We never played at Hamilton Crescent though Muir Park was next door.

I have fond memories of watching a game at Hamilton Crescent between Scotland & Yorkshire (Darren Gough & Michael Vaughan in the White Rose team). Yorkshire won with plenty of time to spare but there were around fifty people who didn't seem in any hurry to leave the ground. At about half six or so, as if on cue, a plethora of red n yella scarves were pulled from bags and off we all popped to Hampden as we had a league game that evening. The date was 02/05/95.

I have fond memories of watching a game at Hamilton Crescent between Scotland & Yorkshire (Darren Gough & Michael Vaughan in the White Rose team). Yorkshire won with plenty of time to spare but there were around fifty people who didn't seem in any hurry to leave the ground. At about half six or so, as if on cue, a plethora of red n yella scarves were pulled from bags and off we all popped to Hampden as we had a league game that evening. The date was 02/05/95.

Superb :thumbsup2:

Great story, but do you know what "plethora" means ?

Trying to recall whether I was at Hamilton Cresecent that day or not.

Moving the thread off topic just a tad, my strongest memory of a Scotland match at Hamilton Cresecent was a game with Hampshire who by then included in their side one of my heroes, one David Gower.

I remember being excited at seeing him play for the first time and on a day where play was held up several times because of rain he went out to bat late on the day in light that was murky at best.

I wanted to Scotland to win no matter how unlikely that was but I also wanted to see a decent knock from Gower. It lasted just one ball. He chased a ball outside off stump from, I think, Peter Duthie and collected a golden duck. I didn't know whether to laugh or cry.

Trying to recall whether I was at Hamilton Cresecent that day or not.

Moving the thread off topic just a tad, my strongest memory of a Scotland match at Hamilton Cresecent was a game with Hampshire who by then included in their side one of my heroes, one David Gower.

I remember being excited at seeing him play for the first time and on a day where play was held up several times because of rain he went out to bat late on the day in light that was murky at best.

I wanted to Scotland to win no matter how unlikely that was but I also wanted to see a decent knock from Gower. It lasted just one ball. He chased a ball outside off stump from, I think, Peter Duthie and collected a golden duck. I didn't know whether to laugh or cry.

And the award for the most unrelated Thistle post, on a Thistle forum goes to?

:lol:

I used to play for poloc when i was a wee guy and i always remember when i made my debut for the first team when i was 17 at hamilton crescent. we got bowled out for 66 runs and they had this guy called manjural islam playing for them as their overseas professional. he was frighteningly good, took something like 7-12 and blew us away. The west end gazette loved this guy and called him the bangladeshi buzzsaw. the west players called him 'the man cub' because he looked like mowgli :lol: . Guy went on to become a bit of a hero for bangladesh

I guess the most famous guy to play in Scotland would be Gordon Greenidge at Greenock. Got a good story that involved Omar Henry at Stenhousemuir but couldn't really do justification putting it on print on here.

To put things back on a football footing maybe following club cricket is the way we should go. By that I mean the whole squad employed on a part time basis but for one player, the club pro, some supa dupa player from overseas. What's that Argie guy Lionel someone or other doing these days?

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett