Our Stewards

beep0608

A good friend, Morton regular, was at Firhill today and told me that they got a really hard time from the stewards, for no good reason. Sounds like typical stewards really, but you'd hope that your own would be better than some of the tw*ts you encounter at away grounds.

It got me wondering though. Who are our stewards? Club employees? Hired security? Or...what? I've no idea. Anybody know?

A good friend, Morton regular, was at Firhill today and told me that they got a really hard time from the stewards, for no good reason. Sounds like typical stewards really, but you'd hope that your own would be better than some of the tw*ts you encounter at away grounds.

It got me wondering though. Who are our stewards? Club employees? Hired security? Or...what? I've no idea. Anybody know?

We're the morton fans in the jackie husband next to the kids zone today ?

If so maybe the stewards felt there was some stuff unsuitable, given the family section was right next to them.

always found our stewards to be very friendly.

Another reason to switch the Kids to the outh side of the Shed next to the Hospitality and shift the Heavy support nearer the away end. Result would be much better atmosphere.

aye and then watch as the police lift anyone who glances sideways.

The reality is the police let the shed boys, stand and sing whatever they want as long as they are well away from the opposition support. Agreed it would be better atmoshpere but ain't going to happen

We seem to have a shitload of stewards, I'd imagine they get paid virtually nothing but could they not cut back? I particularly like the synchronised walk up and down the stairs, even the guys who often have not a single soul in their area of the stand do it.

Or the occasional sweep of the toilets often waiting outside the stall until someone comes out, looking at them inquisitively thinking "did he just have a tab or a jobby".

Put them to better use and have them man a fire exit and let people out for a fag at half time. Plenty of teams with much bigger grounds and crowds than us let this happen.

We seem to have a shitload of stewards, I'd imagine they get paid virtually nothing but could they not cut back? I particularly like the synchronised walk up and down the stairs, even the guys who often have not a single soul in their area of the stand do it.

Or the occasional sweep of the toilets often waiting outside the stall until someone comes out, looking at them inquisitively thinking "did he just have a tab or a jobby".

Put them to better use and have them man a fire exit and let people out for a fag at half time. Plenty of teams with much bigger grounds and crowds than us let this happen.

as you dont keep your ticket how do you control who should get back in?

i have an idea, dont smoke :thumbsup2: instead of wasting the time of a steward.

yes i am an anti smoker :P

Was sitting at section 7 next to the Morton fans yesterday. Basically the stewards were stopping them from using the steps at the end of section 7 at half time. There was tape between the Thistle and Morton support. Morton fans who had been mixing quite happily in the concourse at the top were walking down the steps, only to be told that they would have to go back up to the concourse and down the next set of stairs.

From where I was sitting this was an unnecessary over reaction by our stewards - they caused all the problems by a complete lack of common sense which was making quite a number of the Morton fans very unhappy - and quite rightly so. The reply will probably be "we had to do this for health & safety reasons - the police required it etc", if so why were the fans allowed to mix on the concourse?

We expect to be treated well and sensibly by stewards at other ground, the same should go for visiting fans to Firhill.

A situation was created from nothing by the actions of our stewards and not the actions of the Morton fans.

Judging by the conversations at the final whistle there will be a few complaints going in from them - quite right too.

Was sitting at section 7 next to the Morton fans yesterday. Basically the stewards were stopping them from using the steps at the end of section 7 at half time. There was tape between the Thistle and Morton support. Morton fans who had been mixing quite happily in the concourse at the top were walking down the steps, only to be told that they would have to go back up to the concourse and down the next set of stairs.

From where I was sitting this was an unnecessary over reaction by our stewards - they caused all the problems by a complete lack of common sense which was making quite a number of the Morton fans very unhappy - and quite rightly so. The reply will probably be "we had to do this for health & safety reasons - the police required it etc", if so why were the fans allowed to mix on the concourse?

We expect to be treated well and sensibly by stewards at other ground, the same should go for visiting fans to Firhill.

A situation was created from nothing by the actions of our stewards and not the actions of the Morton fans.

Judging by the conversations at the final whistle there will be a few complaints going in from them - quite right too.

Anybody else remember the "promise" that away fans would never be allowed into the JH stand now that the north stand was available?

as you dont keep your ticket how do you control who should get back in?

i have an idea, dont smoke :thumbsup2: instead of wasting the time of a steward.

yes i am an anti smoker :P

Stamp your hand.

To the best of my knowledge there aren't hundreds of fans waiting outside the back of the stand hoping to sneak in for free at half time.

aye and then watch as the police lift anyone who glances sideways.

The reality is the police let the shed boys, stand and sing whatever they want as long as they are well away from the opposition support. Agreed it would be better atmoshpere but ain't going to happen

I was told at our last Saturday game at Falkirk there were only four polis inside the ground. That was for a reported crowd of 3735. Obviously our support could have shared the opposite stand with some of the home support but I should imagine the policing costs would have increased significantly.

Not sure what point I'm making if indeed any but I'm willing to bet our policing costs will be considerably higher pro rata than that of Falkirk.

just stop smoking, problem sorted :thumbsup2:

I'm with ubertab on this one. People do smoke and we have to accept that as their choice. It doesn't take much for people to stay away these days and if the pubs allow for punters to nip out for a smoke, then we should do the same. It's not asking much for Joe steward to stamp a fan's hand so I don't see a problem with that. Live and let live.

Anybody else remember the "promise" that away fans would never be allowed into the JH stand now that the north stand was available?

Anything to save money I suppose. One one hand it's not ideal having to share a stand, on the other hand it's a bit sad that we're living in times when we're not allowed to mingle with fellow human beings. It happened as a matter of course not so long ago, and I don't remember that many problems, though I've recently mentioned some unpleasant times when mingled with Rangers fans. Aside from these bad shed moments, there was another time in the main stand, with 2 empty seats beside me and most already taken, I saw Andy Cameron walking up the stairs, in our direction. Aw naw, please gawd..... I've never been more relieved to see somebody walk past.....

Thanks for filling me in on what happened yesterday. I like to think that most supporters are reasonable people that can get on, but that excludes the "my team right or wrong" type on the post Old Firm phone in today. Nuff said.

Does anyone ever have a jobby in the bogs in the JH? I would never dream of baring my delicate cheeks at the porcelain in there!