Social Networking Gate

dpj

It's horrible to think that one so young can be filled with so much bile.

Unfortunately, you can replace "one" with "thousands" in terms of sectarianism in Scotland (and of course noren iron), and indeed by millions across the world in terms of religious and/or tribal discrimination and hatred. It's largely due to the influence of parents and peers, I'm afraid.

Edited to add: I've just remembered a long-dormant memory, which is of me having been to a Thistle game and visiting an uncle in Kirkland St afterwards. I must have been 8 or 9 at most. My uncle, not a football fan, though his brothers were Jags men who got me addicted, was going for a walk and I tagged along. I don't remember our conversation, but at one point he made to go into a chapel, at which point I froze. I asked him where he was going, and he told me. Now for some reason, I took a stand and said that I didn't want to go (and I didn't). But I'm not really sure why I didn't. It might have been because my father was probably 52% proddy and 48% cathy, but that once or twice I saw him follow an orange march for 5 min. at most, and he even took me to one H*n match, but he saw more Jags matches than H*n matches, and used to ridicule "orangemen" and hunnery as soon as he'd had a drink or two. But my refusal to enter that chapel might also have been because my uncle just wanted me to go there with him, to get me into timmery while I was alone. I've often wondered what my (late) uncle thought about my refusal, and indeed why I did refuse. We never spoke about it, and were always on good terms until he died.

Edited by Jaggernaut

Unfortunately, you can replace "one" with "thousands" in terms of sectarianism in Scotland (and of course noren iron), and indeed by millions across the world in terms of religious and/or tribal discrimination and hatred. It's largely due to the influence of parents and peers, I'm afraid.

Very true. I would like to think that something good can come from this incident, that being that the guy will learn from his mistake and modify his way of thinking. Unfortunately though, it is probably too late for that. I don't know the lad but for many people bigotry is learned at an early age and becomes ingrained.

Edited by Guy Incognito

A polite reminder of the announcement at the top of the forum.

The Club has issued a statement and comment on that statement is fair game. Any comments on the substantive issues outside of those covered by that statement will be deleted because of the legal ramifications that may result.

A polite reminder of the announcement at the top of the forum.

The Club has issued a statement and comment on that statement is fair game. Any comments on the substantive issues outside of those covered by that statement will be deleted because of the legal ramifications that may result.

Fair enough - Apologies :thumbsup2: