Operation

thistledome

This message is for all you Blokes out there who think that nothing will ever happen to them illness wise. I like 1000's of other blokes thought that nothing would ever happen to me, well how wrong was I.

The Aussie Government sent me a Bowel Test Kit a few weeks ago and I just put it in the bathroom drawer. Then one Sunday while I was using the Toot I thought to myself "may as well try the kit" so I did and that is the way I found out that I had Bowel Cancer. I had the Op done last Wed the 27th and I'm still here at the Campbelltown Hospital south of Sydney and expect to be for a few more days yet. So I strongly urge all of you men approaching 50 and in their 50's to buy a test kit from your local chemist and do the test to find out if you are ok or not. I was lucky in the fact that the doctors say they got it early but had I ignored the test then it might have been too late. Please don't ignore this warning guys as life is too precious and the body is an extraordinary piece of mechansim that needs to be looked after. I now have to watch my eating and drinking habits for a while until I'm back to normal in about 6 months time but the wait will be worth it ! :mellow:

Sorry to hear about that I hope all worksd out for you. Not sure if we have those kits here. Its not fun when the pipes don't work, had to endure some pretty unpleasant stuuf to find out I had diverticular disease a few years ago. Glad you caught it early and we should all really take a good look at diet (says eating a mars bar).

Went to the doc recently about a sore shoulder, got asked a lot of questions because I'm nearing fifty. Bunch of tests, cholestrol a bit high, but liver function ok! A miracle! Thistledome, I'm sure you will recover soon. And lads, give yourself a right good feel on a regular basis! Any excuse!

Glad to read that you are on the mend Thistledome. Bowel cancer is apparently very treatable, albeit via a pretty unpleasant operation, if it is detected early enough. My old man was diagnosed with it last year but unfortunately it wasn't spotted early enough and we lost him to the disease. :(

Well done though for brining this to everyone's attention - it could save someone's life. Top post.

Glad to read that you are on the mend Thistledome. Bowel cancer is apparently very treatable, albeit via a pretty unpleasant operation, if it is detected early enough. My old man was diagnosed with it last year but unfortunately it wasn't spotted early enough and we lost him to the disease. :(

Well done though for brining this to everyone's attention - it could save someone's life. Top post.

Sorry to hear about your Dad Guy. Totally agree its a great post though and something every bloke should pay some attention to.

Its a pity us Scottish Men are often so reckless about our health. We all seem to go hell for leather all the time and just assume that we'll suddenly drop dead eventually having had a much more fun life than all these healthy people. However, the reality is that the hard drinking and smoking stuff usually just leads to horrible medical procedures, spells in hospital and years of disability.

We really should look after ourselves better but for some reason we seem to be resisitant to preventative health messages.

He says smoking a Malboro light and drinking a can of McEwans Export :blush:

I thank you all for your very kind words. I'm feeling better this morning and have now spent 8 days in Hospital.I didn't know that your Gov did the same as us, probably the only good thing they've done in years.I'll be getting stuck into some of the guys at work when I return in about 4 weeks as they have'nt done anything about it yet.Mibees I should be an Advocate for the Aussie Gov :lol: OD TUEN LAST NIGHT!

I see that the WEE THISTLE did the Gerz a big favour last night!

Sorry to hear about your Dad Guy. Totally agree its a great post though and something every bloke should pay some attention to.

Its a pity us Scottish Men are often so reckless about our health. We all seem to go hell for leather all the time and just assume that we'll suddenly drop dead eventually having had a much more fun life than all these healthy people. However, the reality is that the hard drinking and smoking stuff usually just leads to horrible medical procedures, spells in hospital and years of disability.

We really should look after ourselves better but for some reason we seem to be resisitant to preventative health messages.

He says smoking a Malboro light and drinking a can of McEwans Export :blush:

Thanks mate.

Undoubtedly the unhealthy lifestyles many people have in Scotland eventually lead to cancer, or other chronic illnesses. It really is terrible that so many folk die too young and often a change in eating or drinking habits would make all the difference.

My dad was never much of a drinker but according to my mum his diet used to be pretty shite (until he tricked her in to marrying him and got her to do all of the cooking, that is). That was in the '70s though, when people probably weren't as clued-up about healthy eating.

Over here in Aussie the main killer of men is Heart Disease that is mainly contributed to poor eating habits. Second on the list is Prostate and Bowel Cancer and this is mainly due to men just being too damn lazy in going for a simple test. We shoulsd all just be more kind to our bodies.