Dick Campbell

Jagman1876

Guest grahamgibsonlickedmyaero

Shut up.

ill better argue the point.

large corporate organisations do not place the whole emphasis on performance on one 'profit centre'

small organisations focus on working all they have available to come to good results.

no organisation bases plans and result on the function of one 'thing' or 'part'

gary harkins was one part. we should have built a squad around him. not built a squad 'of' him

He also brought some players to the club that have moved on to a very high level or played for their countries - namely Dorrans, Andy Wilkinson and Jonny Tuffey. I like McCall but in general his loan signings are a lost worse than DC's were

Wilkinson was a Whyte/Britton signing.

Edited by stuthejag

I think my head is not working right having read this thread, ok, first things first. DC ranks as one of our worst managers, but that list is reasonably long...congrats for getting his side up through the play-offs again? Not from me!

Now this 3-5 year plan of McCalls, has McCall been here for 5 years already? Would those who have constantly berated him over that (and Santana you are most definately one of them) bow to the master should he get us promoted in the next 2 seasons? I'm not saying he will, but I aint ruling it out like so many have...its a long shot but possible, yes?

no it was not.

that plan was out the window when mccall signed poor replacements. old duds. and inadequate players.

we cannot blame the loss of harkins on our loss of focus on the LIQUID 5 year plan.

What have been the set-backs to this 3-5 yr plan? Yip TL, Harkins' sale was one (but people were reasonably happy to take the money we NEEDED), selling Twaddle was another (and those who slated the guy while he was here must surely have missed him this season as Boyle has been the big disappointment), some of the signings McCall has made (good players too like Lovell, Corrigan, Shields, Hamilton and NcNamara) havent worked out for one reason or another, but surely even the biggest of McCall naesayers can accept these were good signings on paper and shrewd business from McCall. Other than Shields (who I thought was a pointless signing)these were good players who should have help build the squad GrahamGibsonLMA blames McCall for not building; and I would take Cairney and Hodge (together) over Harkins any day.

In short, there are still 2 seasons remaining of McCalls 3-5 year plan IIRC, so until the 5 year mark is passed then the plan is still 'evolving'...but I wonder how we as fans can help with this evolution :thinking: oh aye GO TO THE GAMES AND SUPPORT THE TEAM/CLUB (see the Price Increase thread for another reason why this 3-5 year plan is becoming more and more difficult with each passing season).

What have been the set-backs to this 3-5 yr plan? Yip TL, Harkins' sale was one (but people were reasonably happy to take the money we NEEDED), selling Twaddle was another (and those who slated the guy while he was here must surely have missed him this season as Boyle has been the big disappointment), some of the signings McCall has made (good players too like Lovell, Corrigan, Shields, Hamilton and NcNamara) havent worked out for one reason or another, but surely even the biggest of McCall naesayers can accept these were good signings on paper and shrewd business from McCall. Other than Shields (who I thought was a pointless signing)these were good players who should have help build the squad GrahamGibsonLMA blames McCall for not building; and I would take Cairney and Hodge (together) over Harkins any day.

In short, there are still 2 seasons remaining of McCalls 3-5 year plan IIRC, so until the 5 year mark is passed then the plan is still 'evolving'...but I wonder how we as fans can help with this evolution :thinking: oh aye GO TO THE GAMES AND SUPPORT THE TEAM/CLUB (see the Price Increase thread for another reason why this 3-5 year plan is becoming more and more difficult with each passing season).

there isnt a 3-5 year plan now though. its FLUID according to Ian.

Dick Campbell's actually a very competant manager. He gets some undeserved stick from our fans, IMO. He did quite a good job here - alot better than most make out.

Rubbish.

DC took a team that Lambie had managed to turn around in 3 games into relegation certainties. Remember Accies away when he played Ramon on the wing?

The guy was totally and utterly out of his depth while at Firhill. He might be able to get wee diddy teams to play counter attacking football but give him a decent sized club where the onus is on them to attack, he is found out.

As for the season in Div 2, I still have no idea how we fluked our way out of that league. We were awful from start to finish, some of the worst football I have ever seen us play and the next season in Div 1 was worse. Losing 5 and 6 goals to the likes of St Johnstone and Gretna was totally unacceptable as was losing 4 at home to the Gypos.

Some people on this forum need to realise that Santana is a wind-up merchant and shouldn't be taken seriously. GGLMA seems to be a bit similar, courting controversy, although at least backs it up with a decent argument sometimes. But Santana is just saying things to noise people up - don't react to it.

For my part, DC was poor. He wasted a whole lot of money on mediocre players. But he got us up and it was a great occasion so there are some good memories.

Some people on this forum need to realise that Santana is a wind-up merchant and shouldn't be taken seriously. GGLMA seems to be a bit similar, courting controversy, although at least backs it up with a decent argument sometimes. But Santana is just saying things to noise people up - don't react to it.

For my part, DC was poor. He wasted a whole lot of money on mediocre players. But he got us up and it was a great occasion so there are some good memories.

Ouch. I'm really not, guys.

Rubbish.

DC took a team that Lambie had managed to turn around in 3 games into relegation certainties. Remember Accies away when he played Ramon on the wing?

The guy was totally and utterly out of his depth while at Firhill. He might be able to get wee diddy teams to play counter attacking football but give him a decent sized club where the onus is on them to attack, he is found out.

As for the season in Div 2, I still have no idea how we fluked our way out of that league. We were awful from start to finish, some of the worst football I have ever seen us play and the next season in Div 1 was worse. Losing 5 and 6 goals to the likes of St Johnstone and Gretna was totally unacceptable as was losing 4 at home to the Gypos.

He certainly did that at Firhill. B) Besides John Lambie, Dick is the only Jags manager in recent years to have achieved what the board asked him to achieve. Just a shame it was a step back and two forward featuring some of the worst hammerings seen by Jags fans in a couple of generations.

We didn't fluke out of Division Two. We won the play-offs after coming fourth. A ridiculous situation but no more ridiculous than being the only team in the SPL's history dumped to the kerb in a play-off.

He certainly did that at Firhill. B) Besides John Lambie, Dick is the only Jags manager in recent years to have achieved what the board asked him to achieve. Just a shame it was a step back and two forward featuring some of the worst hammerings seen by Jags fans in a couple of generations.

We didn't fluke out of Division Two. We won the play-offs after coming fourth. A ridiculous situation but no more ridiculous than being the only team in the SPL's history dumped to the kerb in a play-off.

He got us out of a league we shouldn't have been in in the first place. If we'd appointed a manager who even had a bit of a clue what he was doing, we wouldn't have went down in the first place. To then only manage fourth place in a predominantly part time league is another utter disgrace.

I remember feeling like a bit of a fruad celebrating on the pitch at Peterhead.

cheeeeeers.

and just for the record here. dick campbell was not a good manager for us. We all sat through some of the drubbings, the home games against clyde, the super js, and gretna.

i didn't feel like a fraud celebrating at peterhead, however, the fact we were so far behind morton and got up at their expense, was enjoyable.