The Scheme

Jaggernaut

Anybody watch this last night?

Why pay soap stars and script writers hundreds of thousands of pounds when you've got this "brilliant" tv right on your doorstep?

Talk about desperate lives..... What an advert for Kilmarnock (though yes, it could be in any of a number of towns across the country).

Watched the first 2 last time. Who was it that had a case running that the programme had to be taken off?

In some ways its sad to see people who have no hope or aspirations, on the other hand some of them are 3rd generation benefits grabbing spongers who deserve no better but get a nice handout from the hard working people.

As far as I could see not one of them was working, but they've got a hoose, food, drink (including bevvy), fags, dugs and cats, a car, mobile phones, the latest H*n and tim taps, etc etc.

Where's the money coming from?

:unsure:

But it is sad to see people's lives wrecked like that, especially as some of them are basically still youths.

You and me predominantly via tax :angry: . TVs and phones are probably yours and mine as well, knocked off and stolen, some poor sole mugged or burgaled. Maybe one or two went to Brighthouse.

As far as I could see not one of them was working, but they've got a hoose, food, drink (including bevvy), fags, dugs and cats, a car, mobile phones, the latest H*n and tim taps, etc etc.

:unsure:

But it is sad to see people's lives wrecked like that, especially as some of them are basically still youths.

Don't forget the MASSIVE tellys.

A disgrace of a program. Lets all laugh at the junkies and unfortunates. Maybe if the program had tried to help then in any way then it might have been worthwhile but its simple voyeurism at its worst.

What's next for the TV producers? Put a bunch of cripples in a room without their wheelchairs so people can laugh at them? Or how about mentally ill people?

A disgrace of a program. Lets all laugh at the junkies and unfortunates. Maybe if the program had tried to help then in any way then it might have been worthwhile but its simple voyeurism at its worst.

What's next for the TV producers? Put a bunch of cripples in a room without their wheelchairs so people can laugh at them? Or how about mentally ill people?

They've already done that. Remember Big Brother?

I'm not sure if it's for laughs, but there's a definite voyeuristic aspect, of the type usually associated with Channel 4 and their roll-up-for-the-freakshow err, human condition documentaries.

This programme is quite possibly the one thing to make me think Charles Murray might be right when he describes an underclass....and that is sad.

What really worries me is that, growing up in Drumchapel, I could quite easily have become a Marvin or a wee Chris but the reason I and many of my friends have not is because of the choices we made. Opportunities might be limited for those raised in schemes but if you don't grasp those that are available then you only have yourself to blame.

That said, the fact opportunities are limited in the first place is a sad reflection of society in Scotland. Look at the close proximity Drumchapel has to Bearsden. Now consider the percentage of people in Bearsden who are in poverty compared to the percentage of those from Drumchapel. Now look at the difference in life expectancy of both places and you'll see those from the Drum live an average of 20 years less...it's a fine line ladies and gents. I thank my lucky stars that I made mostly right choices and supporting Thistle has been one of those that has influenced me in more ways than just choosing to support a football, it has helped me to get the fact you have to fight for what you want out of life when the odds appear to be stacked against you.

So, while I have some sympathy for the 'stars' of The Scheme, my sympathy is limited...and from a soon-to-be social worker that's quite a significant statement.

So, while I have some sympathy for the 'stars' of The Scheme, my sympathy is limited...and from a soon-to-be social worker that's quite a significant statement.

It is. And working in a similar area I'd agree with you.

You will find you can't do much to help anyone if they won't take at least a bit of responsibility sometimes.

A lot of people seem to feel they have a state sponsored licence to self destruct, and society can only afford to indulge that self destruction to a certain point.

If you didnt laugh you would cry..we had a good chuckle when it was on on the nighshift in here but all agreed its just the tip of the iceberg.

You do have to remember it is Kilmarnock and they are a bit backward generally :P

Who know's maybe these are the best they could find on yon estate :o

This programme is quite possibly the one thing to make me think Charles Murray might be right when he describes an underclass....and that is sad.

What really worries me is that, growing up in Drumchapel, I could quite easily have become a Marvin or a wee Chris but the reason I and many of my friends have not is because of the choices we made. Opportunities might be limited for those raised in schemes but if you don't grasp those that are available then you only have yourself to blame.

That said, the fact opportunities are limited in the first place is a sad reflection of society in Scotland. Look at the close proximity Drumchapel has to Bearsden. Now consider the percentage of people in Bearsden who are in poverty compared to the percentage of those from Drumchapel. Now look at the difference in life expectancy of both places and you'll see those from the Drum live an average of 20 years less...it's a fine line ladies and gents. I thank my lucky stars that I made mostly right choices and supporting Thistle has been one of those that has influenced me in more ways than just choosing to support a football, it has helped me to get the fact you have to fight for what you want out of life when the odds appear to be stacked against you.

In agreement with a lot of what you say (as Drum born and raised myself). One of the tragedies though is that the children of those that we're seeing now probably won't have much in the way of choices open to them. They'll be born into that; never working, never even thinking about working, booze, fags and drugs the only things that matter. Many of them will end up in care while their parents are in jail or some other kind of institution, or deid.

Anyway, hats off to folk who choose to become a social worker. You only get attention when something goes horribly wrong.

Watched less than ten minutes of the first episode before I turned off. Completely voyeuristic pish and this sort of BBC 'programming' is why my tv is getting binned. Stick your digital right up your arse.

Still, you've got to laugh :lol:

It is. And working in a similar area I'd agree with you.

You will find you can't do much to help anyone if they won't take at least a bit of responsibility sometimes.

A lot of people seem to feel they have a state sponsored licence to self destruct, and society can only afford to indulge that self destruction to a certain point.

When I first started out on my journey into this career I had notions of 'changing the world', as Im sure a lot of folk who choose this type of work do, but you soon realise that the limited time you have should be spent trying to help those that want help. That doesn't mean we shouldn't try to convince those who don't want help that they have the power to take their lives down a different path...but I expect this to be a bit like banging your head off a brick wall more often than not.

In agreement with a lot of what you say (as Drum born and raised myself). One of the tragedies though is that the children of those that we're seeing now probably won't have much in the way of choices open to them. They'll be born into that; never working, never even thinking about working, booze, fags and drugs the only things that matter. Many of them will end up in care while their parents are in jail or some other kind of institution, or deid.

Anyway, hats off to folk who choose to become a social worker. You only get attention when something goes horribly wrong.

My motivation for choosing social work as a career was to get into child and family social work for a variety of reasons, the main one is to try to assist families to avoid their children following the same path to self-destruction as they have...a difficult task but one that offers me a job that I feel I will be very good at and that gives an opportunity for me to feel like I have contributed positively in someones life. Come back to me in 10 years time though and I'll probably have become an auld cynic who hates his job :lol: . BTW sometimes going into care actually increases the opportunities available to children but that's a whole other debate that will have me on my soapbox for a long time :blush: .

Your last sentence actually made me smile, I often feel those outwith social work fail to understand that and view social workers in a certain way because of media scandal mongering. It's nice to know some in society see the bigger picture. I almost kissed a wee wummin who came into the office one day when I was on placement, she uttered the line that everyone (imo) should bear in mind..."it's everyone's job to make sure Im alright". Fair fills you with hope when you hear things like that from people :D