Throw-Ins

Jaggernaut

I've watched several by Motherwell in today's final. Totally, but totally wasted every time.

Glad I'm not the only one to have noticed, total embarassment today Motherwell, After watching Accrington and Stevenage game last night, thought there would be an imrpovement in quality today... nope

Glad I'm not the only one to have noticed, total embarassment today Motherwell, After watching Accrington and Stevenage game last night, thought there would be an imrpovement in quality today... nope

Yes, apart from a 10-min spell in the second half they didn't do much to suggest that they could even get a draw (except for the rasper of a shot that hit the bar in the first half).

Not much of a game all round.

Traditionally in cup finals refs are nearly always over lenient. Tackles that would normally be routine yellows go unpunished and really wild ones that would be reds on another day get downgraded to yellow. Nothing untoward about that and I'm probably in favour of refs using that latitude in such games.

However a deliberate handball is an automatic yellow or red and the ref not sending off the big Celtic centreback (already cautioned) is incredible, or more correctly if it didn't favour one of the ugly sisters should be incredible.

I'd love to note what the ref puts in his report about that instance.

Traditionally in cup finals refs are nearly always over lenient. Tackles that would normally be routine yellows go unpunished and really wild ones that would be reds on another day get downgraded to yellow. Nothing untoward about that and I'm probably in favour of refs using that latitude in such games.

However a deliberate handball is an automatic yellow or red and the ref not sending off the big Celtic centreback (already cautioned) is incredible, or more correctly if it didn't favour one of the ugly sisters should be incredible.

"Stonewaller but I shat it"?

This is not true. A deliberate hand ball is a foul, but would only be a card if preventing an attack or a goalscoring opportunity. The number of times you see fouls given for unintentional handballs really annoys me.

I've not seen the incident though, and I imagine that a CB deliberately playing the ball with his hand would be preventing a goalscoring opportunity or at least breaking up the play intentionally.

The big tim was already on a yellow card, so another would have meant that he got sent off.

And sent off he should have been; no doubt about it.

Same goes for Craigan, as his was aimed at preventing the ball from reaching the tic player just beyond him.

I see that the scum were at it again with their sectarian songs.

Twinny, think you're wrong. I'm sure a deliberate handball is enough to warrant a yellow card. A deliberate handball preventing a goal is an automatic red card.

Certainly seen countless guys get booked for handling the ball when there's no obvious goal scoring opportunity.

The rules regarding any hand ball by outfield players are:

A direct free kick is also awarded to the opposing team if a player

commits any of the following three offences:

• holds an opponent

• spits at an opponent

• handles the ball deliberately (except for the goalkeeper within his

own penalty area)

A player, substitute or substituted player is sent off if he commits any

of the following seven offences:

• serious foul play

• violent conduct

• spitting at an opponent or any other person

• denying the opposing team a goal or an obvious goal-scoring

opportunity by deliberately handling the ball (this does not apply

to a goalkeeper within his own penalty area)

• denying an obvious goal-scoring opportunity to an opponent

moving towards the player’s goal by an offence punishable by a

free kick or a penalty kick

• using offensive, insulting or abusive language and/or gestures

• receiving a second caution in the same match

Handling the ball involves a deliberate act of a player making contact

with the ball with his hand or arm. The referee must take the following

into consideration:

• the movement of the hand towards the ball (not the ball towards

the hand)

• the distance between the opponent and the ball (unexpected

ball)

• the position of the hand does not necessarily mean that there is

an infringement

• touching the ball with an object held in the hand (clothing,

shinguard etc.) counts as an infringement

• hitting the ball with a thrown object (boot, shinguard etc.) counts

as an infringement

Disciplinary sanctions

There are circumstances when a caution for unsporting behaviour

is required when a player deliberately handles the ball, e.g. when a

player:

• deliberately and blatantly handles the ball to prevent an opponent

gaining possession

• attempts to score a goal by deliberately handling the ball

A player is sent off, however, if he prevents a goal or an obvious goalscoring

opportunity by deliberately handling the ball. This punishment

arises not from the act of the player deliberately handling the ball but

from the unacceptable and unfair intervention that prevented a goal

being scored.

Cautions for unsporting behaviour

There are different circumstances when a player must be cautioned

for unsporting behaviour, e.g. if a player:

• handles the ball to prevent an opponent gaining possession or

developing an attack (other than the goalkeeper within his own

penalty area)

• handles the ball in an attempt to score a goal (irrespective of

whether or not the attempt is successful).

FIFA.com

Just watched the highlights. I wouldn't have given a yellow for that. Craigan would have been off for his if the ref had seen it though.

Both were kinda instinctive, or involuntary so I'm glad neither were sent off (can you imagine the paranoia fae Parkhead if they'd gone down to 10 men and lost) but strictly speaking they probably should have been. I'm sure that some refs use their discretion and effectively ignore official guidelines. Players get sent off for sod all these days. It's not like these were hand ball on the line or anything. These kind of guidelines are ruining our game. Send them off for serious foul play please, but I believe for these kid of more trivial offences they should just pile up the yellows but not amount to automatic dismissals. Bring in another card colour, or sin bins? Dismissals can ruin games. That's just me though.

P.S. I initially mistyped paranoia as papanoia. Perhaps I should have left it like that, or would that have been sectarian abuse?

Edited by beep0608

Twinnys FIFA coverage says it all, but I agree that the guidelines are being read as rules now and this is to satisfy Clubs that want everything clear, one of which may or may not have been playing in the Cup Final. One of the down sides to this seasons hysterical reactions from Lennon & CO to anything that didn't go their way is that there is no longer any room for common sense. Officials do give free-kicks when the ball hit the hand whether deliberate or otherwise, to cover their backsides. As the rules say it has to be deliberate, or in some way seeking to gain an advantage.