Should We Go Junior

mrD

I'm not really in favour of this to be honest. But I would say a couple of things.

I've been to a handful of junior games in the last few years and it is undoubtedly a better experience than firhill. £5 entry, stand n the terracing and watch players who are genuinely playing for the love of the game.

Take Pollok as an example. Their match day experience is infinitely better value than firhill (and everywhere else) without even trying. Great social club with cheap prices.

Some people seem awfully quick to rubbish the junior game in this country.

I'm not really in favour of this to be honest. But I would say a couple of things.

I've been to a handful of junior games in the last few years and it is undoubtedly a better experience than firhill. £5 entry, stand n the terracing and watch players who are genuinely playing for the love of the game.

Take Pollok as an example. Their match day experience is infinitely better value than firhill (and everywhere else) without even trying. Great social club with cheap prices.

Some people seem awfully quick to rubbish the junior game in this country.

I would say the only real reason for this is the ground...if we played at newlandsfield with 2k fans in it the atmosphere would EPIC!!!

Solution totally revamp firhill into a fit for purpose stadium or move else where..imo the problem lies with the sheer size Firhill and the 10,000 empty seats around the ground each week and a grass dung pile behind the city end goals.

In general a very good post but I have to ask...Why is the "Family Friendly Atmosphere" contributing to the downfall? Football should be for everyone to enjoy. If teams like Partick Thistle are to prosper then we have to cater for families and more than most the children. They are the future of the club.

Of course we need to generate a better atmosphere at Firhill and I've for a long time been saying one way to do that is to move the kids zone to where the "shed" is and have the "shed" where the current kids zone is. While it won't totally fix the issue it would be a good start.

Can't help but feel that the "Family Section" at Firhill is looked upon with resentment by some of the more established supporters of the club.

Surely in this age there is a place for us all and we can all play our part in a brighter future for Partick Thistle.

Lenny, one day I hope to be in a position where I can take my kids to Firhill, please don't get me wrong. The more young supporters we have the better for our Club's future.

My point is that it went too far the other way. I started watching Thistle at a time when it probably would not have been labelled "family friendly", but it did not put me off, it did not stop my dad taking me, there were loads of kids around the same age as me there. We never felt threatened or unwelcome or anything like that. However, clubs saw fit to strip the tribalism out of watching football and supporting your team. It became like other spectator sports where the crowd hardly contribute. I'm just saying that I feel the family-orientated road the game has taken has contributed to the lack of atmosphere.

Lenny, one day I hope to be in a position where I can take my kids to Firhill, please don't get me wrong. The more young supporters we have the better for our Club's future.

My point is that it went too far the other way. I started watching Thistle at a time when it probably would not have been labelled "family friendly", but it did not put me off, it did not stop my dad taking me, there were loads of kids around the same age as me there. We never felt threatened or unwelcome or anything like that. However, clubs saw fit to strip the tribalism out of watching football and supporting your team. It became like other spectator sports where the crowd hardly contribute. I'm just saying that I feel the family-orientated road the game has taken has contributed to the lack of atmosphere.

My thoughts exactly! I started watching the Jags at the tender age of 10 and Firhill was jumping! I used to sometimes sit precariously on one of the concrete leaning posts in the shed while all around me was a heady mix of pipe, cigar and fag smoke, swearwords, indignant outbursts, quality banter, half full cans of Tennent's cascading down the terracing (half full of WHAT was anyone's guess), The Badger belting down the wing and Dougie Somner battering the goals in. A time before crowd segregation, and you could walk to the other end of the shed at half time to get a better view of Thistle goals. For me.... that's how I got hopelessly hooked on PTFC. Not a ramble down memory lane here. I just want to underline cj's point: the "family friendly" environment is not an exciting football environment. Its stale yet clinical like a badly polished turd imvho.

My thoughts exactly! I started watching the Jags at the tender age of 10 and Firhill was jumping! I used to sometimes sit precariously on one of the concrete leaning posts in the shed while all around me was a heady mix of pipe, cigar and fag smoke, swearwords, indignant outbursts, quality banter, half full cans of Tennent's cascading down the terracing (half full of WHAT was anyone's guess), The Badger belting down the wing and Dougie Somner battering the goals in. A time before crowd segregation, and you could walk to the other end of the shed at half time to get a better view of Thistle goals. For me.... that's how I got hopelessly hooked on PTFC. Not a ramble down memory lane here. I just want to underline cj's point: the "family friendly" environment is not an exciting football environment. Its stale yet clinical like a badly polished turd imvho.

Hear hear. All ball-beltingly spot on.

• 3 months later...

so in light of the other discussions, bump ;)

btw, the arguements i made were for the main purpose of winding up, but what was worrying was that these arguments seemed hard to respond to with any sense of a total refutal.

what that would say to me is that there are much bigger issues than the immediate concerns of ptfc ltd's state and we have to start thinking wider and bigger if we really want to see "oor team" progress....

I thought we'd got rid of this drivel. I'm a big supporter of freedom of speech though, so perfectly acceptable for the original poster to put this forward again.

As it is for me to say THIS IS UTTER NONSENSE!

Can we all take a deep breath and calm down. My father used to have a saying about doom-merchants (often my mother, actually) that they 'were aye lookin' for snaw when there there's nane fa'in'. Maybe a bit cloudy, but there's nae snaw yet.