Can You Make Your Kiddy A Jags Fan?

kennymac29

Im fairly new to posting, as illustrated by my lack of emoticons and poor spelling but I thought Id announce the birth of a future jags legend wee Robbie McFall who was born on Sunday the 16th of May. Hopefully an Alan Archibald replacement at Left Back but with more pace than his dad and someone who uses his right foot for more than standing on.

I shall strive to ensure that he doesnt follow the sheep to the piggery or castle greyskull and with his "im potty about partick thistle" baby grow I hope Ive started him on the right path.

Main point for the post is, how difficult is it to make sure your kiddy follows you to firhill every week and how hard is it to to get them to avoid the old firm catchment? Peer pressure says he might end up at parkdeid unless I put a stop to it. :thumbsup2:

Opinions welcome.

Congratulations Kennymac :thumbsup2:

My 2 girls are a wee bit older now. The youngest isn't interested in football at all, but my eldest caught the Thistle bug when I took her along to Firhill for the first time when we got promoted to the SPL in 2002. She was totally besoted with the whole experience and still has hr Jags sunglasses. But..... I should've quit while I was ahead. Subsequent games watching Thistle getting humped and her old man with a face like a melted wellie put her off.

She now prefers going to watch Pollok Juniors :confused1:

The old firm neer came into the equation cos I used to jokingly say to both kids that rangers and celtic were "bad words" in our house..... I know..... I know blatant brainwashing.

Good luck mate. I'm sure the wee yin will turn out a proper Jags fan.

I love the idea of old firm names being bad words in our house. As much as I like freedom of mind I think parents should be able to intervene when the old firm are under discussion.

I have a face on most weeks given our recent form so I dont like him to see me miserable so hopefully we will start with morton at home (2-0) and cowdy away (0-4) in the 2010-11 season.

Also loved to add that two families from hamilton refuse to let their bairns be accies fans, although at £22 a game no wonder they prefer Pollok!!

lol my kids' primary school got free tickets for an Accies game a few years ago when they were in the 2nd Div and they both nagged me to take them. Accies were on a very laudible fan recruitment drive at the time.... Anyway as the Jags were away from home that day I reluctantly took them to New Douglas Park. Thankfully the game (I think it was v Alloa) was truly dreadful. I remember my eldest looking up at me and saying "Daddy, Thistle are much much better than this aren't they?" while the youngest sat playing with her gameboy thing, every so often tutting like her maw at the "bad words" the "bad men" were shouting! Ah memories of when they were wee. Lap it up now mate. It doesn't last long.

Can you make Your Kiddy a Jags Fan?

Can you? Probably. Should you? Possibly.

If you raise your child to be a confident, happy, independent person, they are unlikely to choose to support either of the Old Firm.

Edited by Norman

..........most religions know if you have 'brainwashed' (indocrinated) a person when they are 8 you have them for life (with a very small percentage change)

how many of us have been jags fans since we were lads (or lassies) and how many are later life converts?

.......although I must admit the (collossal) amount of media coverage for the OF and englandshire teams must make it difficult for youngsters to stay committed to the Jags cause.

Bribery.

My uncles took me to firhill from a very young age, half the time I had no interest in what was happening on the pitch however a steady supply of sweeties/pies/cola ensured I was always willing to go the next time.

By the time I was old enough to know better it was far too late :thumbsup2:

This will work, Chewitts and Capri Suns kept me going and occasionally afterwards you'd even get a bag of chips on the way home or a packet of dry roasted bought for you in the pub.

Bear in mind that, as someone residing outside of Glagow, if you do convince your child to follow Thistle you automatically lose the right to criticise anyone born and raised in, for example, Dingwall who chooses to follow either of the Old Firm because "it was my (grand)father's team".

Should also have said earlier... Congratulations Kenny!

Congratulations Kenny :thumbsup2:

I started taking my oldest when he was 4 and have been taking him quite regularly for the last 3 years. bribery is a plan that works my wee boy pointed out a toy shop on Maryhill Road where we still visit pre match.

For the first couple of years it was great but last season he actually stopped asking to go which was a shock this was just after xmas, I blame the really poor atmosphere last season :thumbdown:

Will be dragging him along again next season again and possibly even take my wee daughter to her first game she will be 2 in July :D

It is in your own hands to ensure they are lifelong jags fans...I pity my brother who strayed off track due to peer pressure in his early teens and ended up a feckin *** :thumbdown:

All the best anyway mate always delighted to hear of more jags fans brought into the world :D

I'm not taking my wee girl to Firhill any more as I fear she is a jinx. I've taken her to a game a season for the last 3 years and we have lost every time.

Seriously, bribery does work, what I find best is if one of her wee pals is going too.

Oh and congratulations Kenny :thumbsup2:

I had a great moment quite a few years ago. My eldest, who was then about 8, had bowed to peer pressure and was a Celtic fan. I took him to the odd game when we could blag tickets, but, as his interest in football developed, we would go to watch Thistle fairly regularly. I'll never forget the day he came to me and told me that he no longer supported Celtic, and was now a Thistle fan! Tears to glass eyes etc. His two wee brothers are Thistle as well. He is now a right-thinking adult with a healthy dislike of the OF.

I had a great moment quite a few years ago. My eldest, who was then about 8, had bowed to peer pressure and was a Celtic fan. I took him to the odd game when we could blag tickets, but, as his interest in football developed, we would go to watch Thistle fairly regularly. I'll never forget the day he came to me and told me that he no longer supported Celtic, and was now a Thistle fan! Tears to glass eyes etc. His two wee brothers are Thistle as well. He is now a right-thinking adult with a healthy dislike of the OF.

Fantastic.

Great taste in music as well :thumbsup2:

This will work, Chewitts and Capri Suns kept me going and occasionally afterwards you'd even get a bag of chips on the way home or a packet of dry roasted bought for you in the pub.

Mmmmmmmmmmmm chewitts!!

I was all over the place as a youngster, supported Aberdeen for a bit (I liked red) then became a *** as all my mates were, then grew tired of everything OF and stopped supporting anyone. Then the old man pipes up that he was a season ticket holder at Firhill for years before I was born, and did I fancy taking in a game? The rest as they say is years and years of disappointment, hurt and sorrow. But I loved it, was a season ticket holder up until I left.

I really want a pack of chewitts now. :sad1:

Kenny Congratulations.

I will be taking my wee boy to his first game at some point this season after he turns 4 in the summer. He had a Pee-Tee soft toy and I made it fun for him to play with when he was a new born, I took him to the West end festival to meet Pee-Tee (which maybe wasn't a good idea) I got him the current home kit for is summer holidays last year and loves the fact his old man has the same one.

Now and again the in-laws try to get the OF crap in his head but if you ask him he'll say his favourite teams are the Jags and Barcelona (holiday reasons). He'll be a fourth generation Jag in the family

If that's not brain washing from a young age I don't know what is.

Thank Guys, Ive a wee wait to try to bribe the wee man but the maxwell pension package seems to be the way to go. He inherits my "alex taylor signed" ANNIVERSARY STRIP when I die.

Itll be a while till youz see me but if u see a fat bloke pulling a wee guy up firhill road then ask if its me, if its not then then they must be queing for gers tickets in 2 years.

He will be thistle till I die i hope and be a jags legend like scott mcculloch (same fat build) with a left foot rocket!

• 2 weeks later...

Good to hear of new generations of supporters - congratulations!

It's surprising that no-one has mentioned aversion therapy. My older son was showing dangerous signs of tending to the dark side (due to peer pressure at school), and asked me to take him to I**x. I was more willing to do so, because it was a friendly against a Bundesliga side, and you can usually expect a good performance from that class of football. To cut a long story short, it was a deadly dull game with little to recommend either side.

My son now considers it a badge of shame that he sat in the home supporters' seats at I**x. If his efforts flag at any time, I can always put it down to the malign influence of that visit, and he redoubles his efforts: there's nothing like a little emotional blackmail to help a young man on in life. :rolleyes:

Edited by Fearchar

My daughter comes with me to every home game. She is the only Jags fan in her class at school and she loves it. She is 6. Going for a few years now and to be honest at times she has dragged me along. My nephew, same age, bordering on a Celtic fan is now Jags daft.

My son was at the last game of the season, he is 2.

Its your duty to try with the kids. The might fall to the darkside, but you have got to try.