Spl Promotion Question

ChiThistle

The answer to this is probably obvious to most around here, but I recall reading that newly promoted Swansea gets a set amount of money for winning promotion to the EPL? Because it was a definite amount (and not an estimate related to increased gate revenue and things like that), I assume it has something to do with a league profit sharing scheme?

If so, does the SPL have this kind of setup? Is there a set amount of cash awarded to a team earning promotion?

Sorry for the noob-type question - I'm not familiar with the financial side of football.

Edited by ChiThistle

It's not a set amount of money they get, it's said to be roughly £90m for promotion to the Premiership. This takes account of a slice of an obscenely large TV deal as well as bigger prize money on offer and I think factors in increased ticket sales. The £90m figure also factors in parachute payments for relegated teams. So if you go up for one season and get relegated your total earnings, including parachute payments, is around £90m. If you stay in the league longer obviously you make more, I think the figure banded about for this is £40m extra for each season yuo stay up.

In Scotland you get promoted to the SPL and get a tiny share of a crappy TV deal which goes amost exclusively to the old filth. Your crowds go up a wee bit but it's not massive. You then get the shite of the old firm shoe as a parachute payment when you get relegated, it's tiny but I can't remember the figure.

Basically worldwide marketing and TV exposure make the EPL an absolute gold mine and undoubtedly the promised land. The SPL is more like a post-Thatcher South Wales coal mine and an open sewer.

Bit OTT there UberT but it's true the SPL is peanuts in comparison ... if we were to get promoted I'd hope the board would be very careful what we spent in any attempt to stay up.

In fact I'd be happy if we spent the basic minimum to ensure we didn't get too humiliated and any other money we got was spent on reducing our debt, no matter how small a difference it made. We've gone up in the past and ended up with a worse debt that when we started.

Edited by Mr Bunny

As I understand it the winner of Division 1 gets less than £1K more than the team in 2nd place and so on. Be surprised if in total it's much more than £30K the club promoted receive but if I'm wrong I'm pretty sure it's not a six figure sum.

Once in the SPL the club promoted is assured of a minimum amount way in excess of what they received winning Div 1. The ugly sisters get their cut and the rest of the dosh is divied out part flat rate and part sliding scale dependent on league finishing position (£50K a place rings a bell :unsure: )

I think in theory if the club come straight back down the parachute payment will cover players contracted on "SPL" wages etc. Judging by how rare it is for a club to be relegated from the SPL and go straight back up the parachute payment doesn't seem excessive. With one notable exception :( the payment appears enough to secure mid table Div 1.

The EPL has millions coming in but they have even more going out,mostly because of imo anyway vastly over paid and over rated so called superstars. If i remember correctly they have if not the biggest total debt in the world they are in the top 3. When the billionares that bankrole the top clubs find another interest this league will implode and a lot of clubs will really struggle to survive imo.