Preston North End

Meister Jag

Can someone settle an argument please... Quick question: Do we a special link with Preston NE? A mate of mine says that we do and that some of their fans travel to Firhill; but I've never seen or heard them. If so, then presumably some of our fans reciprocate? Anyone?

Another older mate has suggested a Bill Shankly connection but surely that's a bit tenuous; or is it???

Hope I'm right there's a few pints resting on this one :cheers:

Something to do with an artificial pitch.

A PNE supporter told me that Thistle wanted to check out this artificial pitch, apparently we wanted our own, so we arranged a friendly! The score was 3-2 or something, he couldn't remember because the Thistle fans were having a party (so he said).

SO! most of the PNE supporters decided to move closer to the Thistle support, enjoying themselves so much that he has always remembered us.

I think! :thinking:

:D

Can someone settle an argument please... Quick question: Do we a special link with Preston NE? A mate of mine says that we do and that some of their fans travel to Firhill; but I've never seen or heard them. If so, then presumably some of our fans reciprocate? Anyone?

Another older mate has suggested a Bill Shankly connection but surely that's a bit tenuous; or is it???

Hope I'm right there's a few pints resting on this one :cheers:

Thistle have special links with the Tangerines(Blackpool FC) not Preston!!!!

i have seen Blackpool-Thistle scarfs on sale in the Blackpool markets, there is even a Thistle flag flying up on the Blackpool tower . :D

:D

Thistle have special links with the Tangerines(Blackpool FC) not Preston!!!!

i have seen Blackpool-Thistle scarfs on sale in the Blackpool markets, there is even a Thistle flag flying up on the Blackpool tower . :D

Hmmmm. I'll check that out on the way home from work, hopefully.

Relations between Blackpool and PNE are approximately comparable to Thistle and A*rdrie.

There's been a few behind-closed-doors mid-week (afternoon) friendlies over the years between us and Blackpool. This was mainly during the tenure of the deity that is Mr J Lambie, though. I think he, personally, was the link with BFC; probably something to do with doos. :unknw: During one particular visit here whilst messing about in the sea, the players picked him up and threw him into the water. It caused him to suffer a freak hip (?) injury that resulted in him being banged up in our hospital for a few days, thereby allowing me the opportunity to go to the ward and meet the great man. After 20 minutes of chat I got him to autograph a programme, for my young son, of course.

Sorry about the off-topic romantic blether.

Two connections re the above teams.Bill Shankly played for Preston North End and also guested for the Jags during the war.

Jimmy Armfield a Blackpool and England legend, always made it known that is second team was Partick Thistle [i think as a young lad he liked the colours]I belive there is a statue of him outside Blackpools.

Edited by falkirk jag

Two connections re the above teams.Bill Shankly played for Preston North End and also guested for the Jags during the war.

Jimmy Armfield a Blackpool and England legend, always made it known that is second team was Partick Thistle [i think as a young lad he liked the colours]I belive there is a statue of him outside Blackpools.

Yes. I know Jimmy Armfield from being a non-Exec director at our place, and he told me once during a chat that he'd been to Firhill to watch us on at least two occasions, once in the '60s and the other in the '70s.

The bronze statue of him was unveiled outside BFC's ground quite recently.

http://www.blackpoolgazette.co.uk/news/local/jimmy_armfield_statue_unveiled_1_3340667

Relations between Blackpool and PNE are approximately comparable to Thistle and A*rdrie.

There's been a few behind-closed-doors mid-week (afternoon) friendlies over the years between us and Blackpool. This was mainly during the tenure of the deity that is Mr J Lambie, though. I think he, personally, was the link with BFC; probably something to do with doos. :unknw: During one particular visit here whilst messing about in the sea, the players picked him up and threw him into the water. It caused him to suffer a freak hip (?) injury that resulted in him being banged up in our hospital for a few days, thereby allowing me the opportunity to go to the ward and meet the great man. After 20 minutes of chat I got him to autograph a programme, for my young son, of course.

:lol:

I vaguely remember the 'Lambie in the sea' incident. I wonder who the players were who threw him and if they ever played for the Jags again!

Just out of curiosity, is it Blackpool Vic where you work, Blackpool Jags?

Hi Blackpool Jags, its been 1 year since i was last in Blackpool, has the prom been finally fixed and do you go to the BP home games?

ps there is a great Italian resturant in Topping street, called Mamma's great decor full of footie memorabilia. :D

Hi Blackpool Jags, its been 1 year since i was last in Blackpool, has the prom been finally fixed and do you go to the BP home games?

ps there is a great Italian resturant in Topping street, called Mamma's great decor full of footie memorabilia. :D

The prom is near enough fixed now; you can drive along it again. The beach side bit isn't quite there yet in the central area. You have to come off it and onto the road, which is a bit of a bummer when out cycling and ogling the fan*y taking in the sea air. :(

Edited to add: I don't go to watch Blackpool as a rule, just on the telly really. I went once last season when my mate lent me his season ticket and I hadn't planned to head up for a Jags game.

Edited by Blackpool Jags

there is a great Italian resturant in Topping street, called Mamma's great decor full of footie memorabilia. :D

Great wee restaurant, that. :)

They used to have a sister restaurant in St.Annes called Mamma's Too, which also had a fair bit of memorabilia - and pizzas for £1 at lunchtime!

Edited by Guy Incognito