Just In

dpj

Yeah if there is one thing I wish he had done more of today it was chase back. Felt a few times he was too slow , where as rowser and Cairney were bursting a gut to do it.

robertson was not as good today as against Dundee. He does break up the game well and does a lot of the ugly stuff that kinda goes un noticed. Still thought he could have contributed a bit more today.

You are having a laugh, he was totally invisible today, contributes nothing to the team, 6 foot plus, should be in the mix at kick outs etc, but no he's hiding 10 yards behind. Don't rate him in the midfield, centre back is where he should play IMO.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i am quite happy for cairney to play in the middle, but he needs to remember that he is supposed to find space when his team are attacking not the other way round :rolleyes:

a midfield three with him rowson and between banagan and campbell would be fine with a front three from doolan, stewart,erskine, elliot and flanagan

That's looks like 4 in midfield - Cairney, Rowson, Bannigan and Campbell. With 3 up front, who would you have in the 3 man defence? :rolleyes:

I would have midfield 4 of Campbell, Cairney, Rowson and Bannigan/Erskine with Doolan and Elliot up front. That could become 4-3-3 in attack if Erskine is pushed up.

Edited by kni

Fox dropped ball into net for their goal, there was no foul on him. Didn't think he was all that great today.

Can't agree that Flannigan was p1sh. Thought he worked hard and certainly looked interested. Never always came off for him but to say he wasn't interested is just wrong. He played a huge part in our goal. Each to their own mind you.

Thought Cairney should of got MOTM. Thought he had a very good game.

Elliott can run like the wind. Took his goal superbly. Pity bout free kick and scuffed shot in front of goal but he looks like he could be a real threat.

Thought until Elliott came on we lacked a cutting edge then we looked very dangerous with Elliott on. I'd like to see him start next week.

Imrie really is a diving, moaning, cheating wee git.

In another thread I stated Balatoni should not have started today but I thought he was very good today. Archie was very solid.

I wouldn't say he wasn't interested but his decision-making is appalling. He can't read the game at all and is always ten seconds behind everyone else in working out what is going on around him. There's no doubt he's got a good pass on him at times, but I just think we can't afford to carry someone in this league and we appear to do that with him for too long in a game when he plays.

He wasn't the only one in the middle who disappeared today though as big Robertson was anonymous and still looks way short of fitness to ever last 90 minutes.

Edited by Vom Itorium

Can't quite believe that McNamara continues to persevere with Flannigan. Yes he set up the goal, fair doos. However, he also gave the ball away countless times, one of which led to the corner for the Hamilton goal. The guy is not interested, he is a passenger.

Furthermore, I read further up someone saying the tactics would have worked if Fox hadn't dropped the ball. Utter rubbish - Hamilton should have been 3-0 up at half time. They cut us open with ease in the first half and really did miss some sitters. Sinclair is a real find, but he's wasted at this club - I just hope his career doesn't suffer by playing with some of the complete idiots that pose as footballers at Thistle just now.

Christie took his goal really well, could be a good signing.

Feel really bad for Fox, but I guess it just goes to show that world class keepers don't play in div 1. We need to accept that any keeper at this level is prone to his fair share of howlers.

Overall I am still deeply concerned about Jackie's team selection and substitutions. By neglecting the young players he is risking years of investment in youth development which is finally producing some players with a bit of talent. The only guy in the starting 11 today who came through our youth system was Archie!

I've said it before but Bannigan should be in the starting 11, no question.

It's not just keepers at scots div 1 level that are prone to that kind of mistake. It's all keepers. Last season, in the EPL, Van der sar, Reina, Howard and Hart, all made similar type of errors, that led to goals. I'd argue all of them are world class goal keepers. The lad at spurs, name escapes me just now, must have made 3 or 4 of them. Did you see Arsenal on tv at all last season? My point is, any keeper at any level will make the sort of mistake that Fox made yesterday. The key thing is that he does not make too many of them. I've seen nothing to suggest he will.

I also stand by my arguement that had Fox error not happened the tactics would have worked. Hamilton had not scored. Yeah they had a couple chances, but then so had we. First ten mins or so I thought we looked really good but I admit from there on Hamilton did boss the game, in the first half . Fact still remains they had not scored. If you think they should have been 3 up at half time, then i'll suggest we were at different matches. Second half I thought we looked more dangerous side. Don't recall fox having to make a save of any note in 2nd half but we had a good few chances.

Agree Flannigan gave ball away a few times.....but he was far from alone....sinclair did it a few times in second half, a few of them deep in his own half....he also did this against dundee and it resulted in the penalty the cheats got. Don't see sinclair getting the same slagging that Flannigan is getting.

some have stated Flannigan is not interested......he was the one at the start of the match encouraging the entire team. The lad does not have to be everyone's favourite but some of the accusations labelled at him at just pathetic.

Agree Flannigan gave ball away a few times.....but he was far from alone....sinclair did it a few times in second half, a few of them deep in his own half....he also did this against dundee and it resulted in the penalty the cheats got. Don't see sinclair getting the same slagging that Flannigan is getting.

You can forgive a youngster for mistakes more readily than a more experienced player. As long as the youngster eventually learns of course. An experienced player deserves more criticism: I think Flannigan deserves to be criticised also because we know he has the ability to keep possession and it's that more annoying when he doesn't.

That's looks like 4 in midfield - Cairney, Rowson, Bannigan and Campbell. With 3 up front, who would you have in the 3 man defence? :rolleyes:

I would have midfield 4 of Campbell, Cairney, Rowson and Bannigan/Erskine with Doolan and Elliot up front. That could become 4-3-3 in attack if Erskine is pushed up.

Eh I think you mis-read, he meant one of Bannigan or Campbell alongside Cairney and Rowser.

The problem yesterday was the lack of width in midfield in the first half, improved in the second and that's why we came more into the game. We were talking yesterday about the possibility of reverting to the 3-5-2 (but a genuine 3-5-2 not a 5-3-2 dressed up). Paton and Sinclair would be ideal wing backs, Robertson, Archie and Kinniburgh/Balatoni as centre backs leaving Rowson, Cairney and any out of Erskine/Flannigan/Campbell/Bannigan for the centre mid places. That seems to be the formation that best suits the players, even if it aint Jackie's favoured formation.

Re Flannigan, he does some good things, some bad things and some ugly things but, for me, it's his body language and demeanor at times that makes him look uninterested and as if he aint trying.

Edited by Steven H

Flannigan seems to have become the latest target for the boo-boys on this forum since Grehan has been out (and now gone). He wasn't bad today, not the best but not the worst. His biggest failing for me is not chasing back, but I think he's a decent passer & done well at the goal

He isn't just a target for boo-boys on this forum - there was a group of lads at the game yesterday giving him absolute dog's abuse.

I just wonder whether the wing is his best position. Like you say, his passing can be very good at times, so maybe a more central role who suit him better.

fair comment about robertson today game passed him

back 4 i think for robbo (or centre forward :thinking: )

as for cairney couln't disagree more

as i've said previously cairney reminds me of ronnie glavin

glavin wasn't fast ;he was hard in the tackle not afraid to push forward or have a poke at goal

cairney will come good for us lets get behind this lad :thumbsup2:

play cairney centre midfield

:happy2:

Cairney is never a winger in a million years. He is, however, a decent holding midfield player and that is where he should play, IMO.

Edited by Guy Incognito

hows that 4, i said between Bannigan and Campbell :P

there is no point in having a midfield four with that guys, where your width, Erskine is NOT a winger and needs to play through the middle same with cairney

Eh I think you mis-read, he meant one of Bannigan or Campbell alongside Cairney and Rowser.

The problem yesterday was the lack of width in midfield in the first half, improved in the second and that's why we came more into the game. We were talking yesterday about the possibility of reverting to the 3-5-2 (but a genuine 3-5-2 not a 5-3-2 dressed up). Paton and Sinclair would be ideal wing backs, Robertson, Archie and Kinniburgh/Balatoni as centre backs leaving Rowson, Cairney and any out of Erskine/Flannigan/Campbell/Bannigan for the centre mid places. That seems to be the formation that best suits the players, even if it aint Jackie's favoured formation.

Re Flannigan, he does some good things, some bad things and some ugly things but, for me, it's his body language and demeanor at times that makes him look uninterested and as if he aint trying.

:thumbsup2:

Finally! have been banging on upon this Stevie; 3-5-2 makes sense to me

Better late than never...

I feel we were pretty lucky to escape with a point from the game; Hamilton probably should have been, at the very least, a goal up at half-time. In my opinion, they were very unlucky not to be awarded a penalty when Fox poleaxed one of their players, who was subsequently booked for diving. They managed to cut us open regularly in the first half with Imrie orchestrating a few attacks; he played two passes in particular inside Sinclair which we were lucky not to concede from. Balatoni, who looked cumbersome at times, nearly got caught out twice, once in the lead-up to the penalty incident and the other where he waited on the bounce and was beaten to it.

The introduction of Elliot gave us a boost. He looks very direct, relatively quick and he took his goal extremely well. Once he scored though, he faded out the game but he's probably still finding his fitness.

I thought Fox looked decidedly dodgy throughout the game; his kicking was all over the place and he was nowhere near as assured with cross balls. However, he has been outstanding since signing and, if he kept up that sort of consistency, he wouldn't be playing at this level.

Cairney was my Man of the Match and is showing signs of returning to the form of his first season. Harried the opposition well, rarely wasted the ball and tried to get forward. Need him to become more of a goal threat. Talking of goal threats, Rowson was probably our main one on Saturday and was unlucky not to get on the scoresheet.

I questioned the signing of Robertson at first but I think he's a solid enough player. Never a central midfielder in a million years though, in my opinion. Decent centre half as displayed by his performance at Hamilton in the cup. He's a big guy and hopefully we can instill a wee bit more aggression in him; maybe get Maxy down from the office and coach him on being a proper centre-half?

I'm not a big fan of Flannigan but I thought he had a decent enough game on Saturday; indeed, I was questioning whether it was actually him when he threw himself into a few 50/50's early in the first half. I don't think there's any question about it - he is a winger. However, we gave him a good few games out wide last year and he didn't do the things one would expect from a winger; try to beat his man, get beyond the full-back, get up on the overlap, etc.

Tell Stewart to pack his bags and bugger off on the next ferry from Stranraer. I done a Honved and made a point of watching him for part of the first half and he does nothing, absolutely nothing. His off-the-ball movement is non-existent, he ball-watches and he lacks any sort of intelligence or intuitiveness to be considered a link-up man. I fear we will have to get used to seeing him ponce around though because I suspect he'll be one of Jackie's favourites.

We've got something to build on against Queens, who have started just as poorly as us, perhaps even poorer considering we've played three of the teams who are expected to be contending at the end of the season (for what it's worth, I think Hamilton will have the league tied up long before the end of the season). Even though it's only going to be the fourth fixture of the season, I think it's quite a big game and one where we need to get the win.

I feel we were pretty lucky to escape with a point from the game; Hamilton probably should have been, at the very least, a goal up at half-time. In my opinion, they were very unlucky not to be awarded a penalty when Fox poleaxed one of their players, who was subsequently booked for diving. They managed to cut us open regularly in the first half with Imrie orchestrating a few attacks; he played two passes in particular inside Sinclair which we were lucky not to concede from. Balatoni, who looked cumbersome at times, nearly got caught out twice, once in the lead-up to the penalty incident and the other where he waited on the bounce and was beaten to it.

The introduction of Elliot gave us a boost. He looks very direct, relatively quick and he took his goal extremely well. Once he scored though, he faded out the game but he's probably still finding his fitness.

I thought Fox looked decidedly dodgy throughout the game; his kicking was all over the place and he was nowhere near as assured with cross balls. However, he has been outstanding since signing and, if he kept up that sort of consistency, he wouldn't be playing at this level.

Cairney was my Man of the Match and is showing signs of returning to the form of his first season. Harried the opposition well, rarely wasted the ball and tried to get forward. Need him to become more of a goal threat. Talking of goal threats, Rowson was probably our main one on Saturday and was unlucky not to get on the scoresheet.

I questioned the signing of Robertson at first but I think he's a solid enough player. Never a central midfielder in a million years though, in my opinion. Decent centre half as displayed by his performance at Hamilton in the cup. He's a big guy and hopefully we can instill a wee bit more aggression in him; maybe get Maxy down from the office and coach him on being a proper centre-half?

I'm not a big fan of Flannigan but I thought he had a decent enough game on Saturday; indeed, I was questioning whether it was actually him when he threw himself into a few 50/50's early in the first half. I don't think there's any question about it - he is a winger. However, we gave him a good few games out wide last year and he didn't do the things one would expect from a winger; try to beat his man, get beyond the full-back, get up on the overlap, etc.

Tell Stewart to pack his bags and bugger off on the next ferry from Stranraer. I done a Honved and made a point of watching him for part of the first half and he does nothing, absolutely nothing. His off-the-ball movement is non-existent, he ball-watches and he lacks any sort of intelligence or intuitiveness to be considered a link-up man. I fear we will have to get used to seeing him ponce around though because I suspect he'll be one of Jackie's favourites.

We've got something to build on against Queens, who have started just as poorly as us, perhaps even poorer considering we've played three of the teams who are expected to be contending at the end of the season (for what it's worth, I think Hamilton will have the league tied up long before the end of the season). Even though it's only going to be the fourth fixture of the season, I think it's quite a big game and one where we need to get the win.

as far as i am aware it was the other way round and he was booked for going in on fox, which is why fox was treated on the pitch.

his kicking went to shit after he was hit

Edited by jaggybunnet

I feel we were pretty lucky to escape with a point from the game; Hamilton probably should have been, at the very least, a goal up at half-time. In my opinion, they were very unlucky not to be awarded a penalty when Fox poleaxed one of their players, who was subsequently booked for diving.

I had a very good view of this and it was a clear dive.