Belfast

uberteeb

Going to be in Belfast for a few days during the week next week and the week after, staying in the centre of town. Anyone got anything they’d recommend doing and any pub recommendations, particularly those good for watching footy, anything not pub related that one can do of an evening would probably be healthier and more appropriate seen as I’m there for business not pleasure.

Also checked the football fixtures and Linfield are playing at home one of the nights I’m there, what kind of human being does it make me if I go along to tick Windsor Park off my ground list?

Going to be in Belfast for a few days during the week next week and the week after, staying in the centre of town. Anyone got anything they’d recommend doing and any pub recommendations, particularly those good for watching footy, anything not pub related that one can do of an evening would probably be healthier and more appropriate seen as I’m there for business not pleasure.

Also checked the football fixtures and Linfield are playing at home one of the nights I’m there, what kind of human being does it make me if I go along to tick Windsor Park off my ground list?

Who are playing against Linfield? I support any team playing against Linfield.

This season Linfield is top now, but Cliftonville is only 4 points behind. I strongly hope Cliftonville's title.

I had one of the most smashed night out of my life in the Limelight in Belfast. Don't even remember being there. Only photographic evidence reveals I actually was...

Ha! The Slimesh!te. Many years since I've been in Belfast but I bet u were in Lavery's at some point beforehand. I (vaguely) remember seeing a thrash metal band with a 4'11'' one-eyed singer with waist-length hair play a set between two dance music DJ's in the Limelight. Only in Belfast.

Edited by John Blutarsky

As ManchesterJag has pointed out, The Crown is not to be missed. Right next to it you also have Robinson's and The Beaten Docket. You can have a cracking piss up within the space of a few yards.

Belfast (city centre) is actually a very good place for a night out despite any negative thoughts you might have of the place. There are lots of good bars down towards the University area (Botanic Avenue).

ps. Please feel free to go and watch Linfield......and be forever labelled a H*n thereafter. :P

As long as you stay in the centre of the town you'll be fine. At the back of Robinson's is a little bar called Fibber McGees, Traditional irish music every night and is well worth an evenings entertainment. If you come out the door of Fibbers and turn right there's a crackin wee pizza place called litte Italy. The crown and The beaten docket are well worth a night too. The crown gets it's history from the irish workers that built it, there is a mosaic on the floor as you walk in through the door and every time one of the workers walked in the used to wipe their feet on it.Luckly it's not like that now and you'll be made very welcome. As far as sports bars go the only one i can think of is Rockies at the Odyssey Arena, it is decked out in mainly ice hockey tops as its were the belfast giants play there home games. Saturday night football can usually be watched and then most would head up to watch the hockey. Enjoy your stay.

The Empire can have some good bands on.The Morning Star has a bit of character and a pretty good menu.QFT if you interested in obscure cinema. Spiderjag is knocking about Belfast at the moment, and may need some Jag company. For football visit Seaview. We play the h*ns ugly little brother this weekend. If you have any interest in rugby, Ravenhill shows why Friday night sport can be a winner. Good game tomorrow night.

Enjoy yourself.

Good stuff, seems there are enough decent pubs to keep me occupied in the evenings, will go to that Crown place on my first night over to watch the Chelsea vs Man City game and take it from there.

I've been to the Crown a few times - was last there in May this year - don't think it's got TVs??

Watched the Swansea v Reading play-off final in Robinson's next door - that's well set up for watching football.

Had a bit of a mare Monday, I'm staying in the Hilton which is at the wrong end of town, my flight was delayed so I was rushed off my feet so tried to wing it, kept getting lost in shopping streets and ended up in the only boozer close to the hotel which was pants.

Last night got my bearings and went to the Crown and another couple of pubs close to it.

Changing my hotel next week so I'm down by the Crown and other pubs.

Is it always this windy and baltic here?

Had a bit of a mare Monday, I'm staying in the Hilton which is at the wrong end of town, my flight was delayed so I was rushed off my feet so tried to wing it, kept getting lost in shopping streets and ended up in the only boozer close to the hotel which was pants.

Last night got my bearings and went to the Crown and another couple of pubs close to it.

Changing my hotel next week so I'm down by the Crown and other pubs.

Is it always this windy and baltic here?

Easy to lose your bearings..Last time i was over that neck of the woods i got howling on Bushmills and Guiness and thought my hotel was in Ballymena..unfortunately for me and my wallet it was in Ballyclare, the golf course i was playing at had been in Ballymena!!! got to love Ireland though both north and south had a right good shindig when i was over!!

So in conclusion it's really just a wee bit smaller, a wee bit grimmer and a wee bit colder than Glasgow with funnier accents.

Negative points, baltic wind all the time, traffic is terrible at rush hour, lack of 24 hour/snout shops in town and the taxi drivers (apart from the foreign ones) are a right miserable lot.

Plus points, the boozers I've been in are old man style and busy even on a Monday and Tuesday, the Guiness tastes better (this may be all in my mind) and yon Tayto crisps are awesome.

Over a couple more times iN January.

My boy was in Cliftonville, and in a pub and he got a bit of abuse because it was a catholic pub and he had a skin head and a glasgow accent - they thought he was a british soldier! He was just there watching his pal play footy for them and he's a catholic too but he's not a bigot in anyway. Anyway, i was in belfast and had a smashing time. the empire is good and theres that big ferris wheel too. Also the Crown Liquor Saloon in Great Victoria Street is great. Big Victorian Gin Bar that has great character. well worth a visit.