Just In

jonboy

There is a good team there, but only just. Nothing on the bench at all really apart from Erskine who, after the first 5 mins of being, on did nothing.

Also has anyone else noticed how crap sinclair is now? I think he has always lacked the final ball in his game but at least he used to be involved, i'd bite anyones hand off for a penny for him.

When Archie is back:

.........................Fox..........................

O'Donnell.....Cole.....Archie......Sinclair

........................Paton..........................

Naismith...Rowson...Cairney....Erskine....

........................Doolan.........................

I'm guessing your formation would allow the 2 wide men to support Doolan, but McCall tried 1 up front shortly before he left us. It was awful. At this level of football, we need 2 up front. If we were playing a far better team we'd obviously need to get few bodies in midfield, but not against the mediocrity we play week in week out.

Alan Archibald and David Rowson aged 34, Kris Doolan aged 25, Scott Fox, Paul Paton, Paul Cairney all aged 24. And then O'Donnell, Sinclair, Cole, Naismith and Burns all 20 or under. When the question is asked about Thistle's youth policy the answer's easy - just look at the first team.

We've got two experienced players, Archibald and Rowson: one is probably (should be) in his last year and the other has already gone part-time. The 'spine' of the team in their mid-twenties has some decent players but no standouts, although Cairney can be influential on his day and Paton at least shouts a lot. The rest are wee boys. Potentially good players perhaps, but still wee boys.

No wonder we're performing as we are. We've no leadership on the park, no experience to coach the youngsters against teams like Accies and Queens who'll kick and shove to get the result. Until we can bring some experience into the side, we'll never achieve any consistency.

Or we could wait until the wee boys grow up. Wonder what division we'll be in then?

I've said it before - it's all about money. Until we can afford to pay the wages of decent standard, experienced players, we're going nowhere.

Alan Archibald and David Rowson aged 34, Kris Doolan aged 25, Scott Fox, Paul Paton, Paul Cairney all aged 24. And then O'Donnell, Sinclair, Cole, Naismith and Burns all 20 or under. When the question is asked about Thistle's youth policy the answer's easy - just look at the first team.

We've got two experienced players, Archibald and Rowson: one is probably (should be) in his last year and the other has already gone part-time. The 'spine' of the team in their mid-twenties has some decent players but no standouts, although Cairney can be influential on his day and Paton at least shouts a lot. The rest are wee boys. Potentially good players perhaps, but still wee boys.

No wonder we're performing as we are. We've no leadership on the park, no experience to coach the youngsters against teams like Accies and Queens who'll kick and shove to get the result. Until we can bring some experience into the side, we'll never achieve any consistency.

Or we could wait until the wee boys grow up. Wonder what division we'll be in then?

I've said it before - it's all about money. Until we can afford to pay the wages of decent standard, experienced players, we're going nowhere.

Spot on.

Fox

cole Robertson Kinniburgh Sinclair

Paton

O'Donnell Cairney Rowson

Doolan Naismith

thought this team might be better than we have been playing i like to see how robertson would get on in the Paton but maybe keep paton there just now, We need to try and play O'Donnell right wing rather than Right back.

Edited by kevin energy

Might be my imagination but Archie looked to be struggling with a groin strain late on. Maybe he was going to miss a few games anyway, in which case, why hold back, and if there's one person annoying enough to provoke such a steady player as Archie, it might just be Dougie Imrie.

Falkirk's first team is younger than Thistle's and they play with good spirit. The Thistle team play like they can't get the game over with quick enough so they can go up the road.

I'm guessing your formation would allow the 2 wide men to support Doolan, but McCall tried 1 up front shortly before he left us. It was awful. At this level of football, we need 2 up front. If we were playing a far better team we'd obviously need to get few bodies in midfield, but not against the mediocrity we play week in week out.

I would look at it more as a 4 - 3 - 3 formation. A solid centre trio of Cairney Rowson Paton would allow for the two wide men to be very attack minded. Also the main reason is our strikers can't score. Doolan is our only hope but this formation would allow any four of the line behind Doolan a good chance at scoring.

There's a kernel of a good Division One team in Thistle but that, in my 'umble opinion, is it until there's more damage done in the opposition's box by more Jags players more often.

The tippy-tappy football philosophy of the last manager has not gone away but it's like instant coffee when fire alarm regular is what's needed.

What to do? Find a nutter who's the Martin Hardie or Gerry Britton of the next Thistle generation, stop being so faint hearted and, to quote one of our fellow fans on this forum last year, F*CKING SHOOT!

I did find one thing inexplicable about last night and perhaps someone on here could provide an answer. Why when there's not another senior football game been played in the whole of Great Britain did we end up having that imbecile referee Mike Feckin' Tumelty in charge? :angry:

Mike Tumility is a Category One referee... :yellow_card: