Youth Results

rodge

Just noticed the youth results on offical website.for some reason the under 14s result was missing.Stenhousemuir were the opposition and won wont give the score.why do we show results when our lads win but leave out results when our teams get beat????

This happenend the other week when one of our teams were beaten of rangers.

a few of the stenny players are thistle fans and i know they had mixed emotions as i did,i even had my thistle scarf on.

All results should be posted, losing is a part of the learning process, I'm sure the young guys don't want to get beat & see it on the website every week (probably the reason it's not put on) but it's just as likely to drive them on to win a couple of games I'd say.

Youth teams should also have dedicated pages on the website, with a list of fixtures & player profiles. Plus any match pictures or reports that are available. Make them feel a part of something.

• 2 weeks later...

Jwhy do we show results when our lads win but leave out results when our teams get beat????

It's a tricky one this.

I can understand the notion of not posting heavy-ish defeats although there is obviously a kind of double standard with that.

In general, there is probably still too much emphasis on results (not from most coaches though). It's also true that having a few more physically-developed players in a team can achieve better results, at ages 13-15 especially. Many boys clubs go down that road and, unfortunately, a few pro-youth teams also. Not saying that's true of e.g. Stenny but sometimes even one big lad who's a good player can be a real handful and make a huge difference in a game.

It's a tricky one this.

I can understand the notion of not posting heavy-ish defeats although there is obviously a kind of double standard with that.

In general, there is probably still too much emphasis on results (not from most coaches though). It's also true that having a few more physically-developed players in a team can achieve better results, at ages 13-15 especially. Many boys clubs go down that road and, unfortunately, a few pro-youth teams also. Not saying that's true of e.g. Stenny but sometimes even one big lad who's a good player can be a real handful and make a huge difference in a game.

As i said dont know many clubs that show results.But if we are going down the road of showing results we should show all results or none at all.and just for the record stenny are not a big team as anyone who knows young rodge will agree with.

all the best to all the youth teams at thistle and i hope one day like all dads that young rodge pulls on that red and yellow shirt

Just noticed the youth results on offical website.for some reason the under 14s result was missing.Stenhousemuir were the opposition and won wont give the score.why do we show results when our lads win but leave out results when our teams get beat????

a few of the stenny players are thistle fans and i know they had mixed emotions as i did,i even had my thistle scarf on.

Cos remember, our youth system is one of the best in the country under the leadership of Ian Cameron, Jackie McNamara, Ian McCall, Gerry Britton, Joe Bloggs etc etc etc. No negative press in this house.

No wait, it still hasn't produced any good first team players and our youth teams get beat off wee teams like Stenny. Epic fail.

Edited by MWM

Cos remember, our youth system is one of the best in the country under the leadership of Ian Cameron, Jackie McNamara, Ian McCall, Gerry Britton, Joe Bloggs etc etc etc. No negative press in this house.

No wait, it still hasn't produced any good first team players and our youth teams get beat off wee teams like Stenny. Epic fail.

Stenny's current U-14s team has been running for years - Thistle's only a season and a half. Stenny also play in the top tier.

The U-14s beat Livi on Sunday, having lost to them three times previously so that suggests some progress. However I would always be wary of placing emphasis on results.

Edited by jaggededge

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I would be really interested to know more about our Youth Academy. Not just results, but an overview of what teams we have, what standard they're at, who the coaches are, how it's funded, etc.

One of my boys has just gone Pro-Youth with Ayr. There's a shed load of info available on them - their Youth Academy has even got its own web-site (www.aufa.org.uk). Now, the club only contribute about 25% of the funding and the rest comes from the local council, NHS, fans groups and so on. I don't have a clue if we've got similar arrangements in place, but if we don't I'd be asking why not ?

The way things are going, I think more and more clubs will have little alternative but to field more youngsters - I hope we're not going to get left behind .....

There was a ver good article in today's Evening Times with Barry McLelland regarding youth development and community development. There won't be an under 19 team this year as they will be playing in the new reserve league instead and there is a combined under 16/17 team which Willie Falconer is coming in to coach along with Barry. Archie will taking the reserves and Gerry Britton has been in discussions wth Mark Wotte about structures and various ideas. Things are definitely looking a lot more structured regarding youth development and to repeat what has been said previously if anyone dealing with this area is reading - please give us a section on youth development on the official website!