Speculate To Accumulate

potty trained

With the quick fire signings before the season has already officially finished.

does anyone else feel there is an attitude at Firhill that this coming season, more than any, could be the season to get us up to the top division?

Lets face it, on any given season, we don't have the budget or means to compete for a full season at the top. The last time we did, we couldn't afford bringing in John Sutton for a couple of months at a knock down price.

But this coming season already feels different.

Could it be that the Club feel that, Rangers will not go to Div 3, but will play the coming season with a drastically under strength team in the SPL, therefore, there is the distinct possibility that come Feb 2013 Rangers are in a relegation battle.

As such, the SPL will be bricking it about loosing their "income" and will rush through a league restructure which will prevent relegation from the SPL and allow 2 or 4 teams up.

And as such, Thistle are making sure on being in the running, if not for the title, then for a spare space, should it become available?

We finished 6th this season and will have most of the same squad next season. We appear to have lost two key players - Cairney and, possibly, Welsh. Robertson has not been offered a new contract. Jackie has signed McGuigan and Murray plus two young players with no experience at our level. Without a new top midfielder, another mid-table finish is likely.

If I was an unproven player with potential I'd be wanting to find any full time club asap. Nobody knows what way the rangers situation and maybe hearts as well will impact. It could well be that a glut of young players from Murray Pk and the Embra equivalent could be released. The knock on effect could easily mean other young hopefuls scrambling about last minute to get fixed up at any club (full or part time).

Jackie is I believe a stickler for organisation and that would tie in with getting the bulk of signings/re-signings complete as early as possible. Other managers, eg McCall, fly more by the seat of their pants and will wait to the eleventh hour to pick up a player. Who's to say what way is best but at the moment I'm happy with the way we're going. I am tho' aware that we might be somewhat concerned when our competitors pick up relatively big names on or just before Aug 31st.

If I was an unproven player with potential I'd be wanting to find any full time club asap. Nobody knows what way the rangers situation and maybe hearts as well will impact. It could well be that a glut of young players from Murray Pk and the Embra equivalent could be released. The knock on effect could easily mean other young hopefuls scrambling about last minute to get fixed up at any club (full or part time).

Jackie is I believe a stickler for organisation and that would tie in with getting the bulk of signings/re-signings complete as early as possible. Other managers, eg McCall, fly more by the seat of their pants and will wait to the eleventh hour to pick up a player. Who's to say what way is best but at the moment I'm happy with the way we're going. I am tho' aware that we might be somewhat concerned when our competitors pick up relatively big names on or just before Aug 31st.

My thoughts exactly and, in the current situation, I would have signed Murray and then waited to see who comes on the market. It would be maddening if Kyle Hutton ends up with another First Division club next season.

Who's to say Lawless & Muirhead wouldn't have been highly sought after players come later in the summer? Just as we have not heard of them or seen them play doesn't mean they won't be good & exciting players. Everyone knows we're on a limited budget, so for Jackie to go out early & sign these guys up on 2yr deals must show how much confidence he has in their current ability as well as their future potential.

My thoughts exactly and, in the current situation, I would have signed Murray and then waited to see who comes on the market. It would be maddening if Kyle Hutton ends up with another First Division club next season.

And who is to say that Lawless and Muirhead won't be top-class players? If we had not signed them, despite looking at them, and they had signed for other 1st Division clubs people would no doubt me moaning that we passed on them. I imagine Jackie knows what he is doing more than you do, to be honest.

And who is to say that Lawless and Muirhead won't be top-class players? If we had not signed them, despite looking at them, and they had signed for other 1st Division clubs people would no doubt me moaning that we passed on them. I imagine Jackie knows what he is doing more than you do, to be honest.

Top class players like Christie Elliot and Tommy Stewart?

Far too good for the first division very unlikely he will play in our league next season

I don't actually. Hutton was good, but certainly not great. Didn't seem to add much, if anything, to Dunfermline's crap midfield despite being a regular starter.

Didn't see him play for Dunfermline but he was certainly better than any of our current squad..very sorely missed when he left

Sorry, but my thoughts weren't meant to be negative. I'm merely pointing out that McNamara is going about things one way and some other managers might hold fire in anticipation of numerous players of a relatively high standard being available later on. No criticism whatsoever and if you've faith in McNamara then you'll have faith in both his choice of player and his time schedule.

Sorry, but my thoughts weren't meant to be negative. I'm merely pointing out that McNamara is going about things one way and some other managers might hold fire in anticipation of numerous players of a relatively high standard being available later on. No criticism whatsoever and if you've faith in McNamara then you'll have faith in both his choice of player and his time schedule.

McNamara's signing record is mixed. I would not give fixed 2 year contracts to unproven players. One year plus club options for further years would my preference.

Top class players like Christie Elliot and Tommy Stewart?

I don't really understand your point? If it is because Jackie has signed a couple of players who haven't lived up to expectations (although I'm more than happy to have Elliott under contract for next year), then I could equally present you with players like Sinclair who exceeded expectations.

We can only wait and see what Muirhead and Lawless are like, but they are exactly the kind of players I'd like us to be signing and I'm looking forward to seeing them in action, rather than worrying about players who we could potentially miss out on.

Dont think its much speculation tbh. We are probably spending the same amount of cash on the squad as we did last year. The £35k raised via the Friday Night Ball thing and the Firhill Cup will go a long way to ensuring the youthsetup is fully funded and may allow some of the funding previously marked for that to be given to JM.

I would suspect that we still have enough left over to add at least 2 players over the summer if the right ones become available - Welsh plus a striker would be ideal. Still think we may end up losing a couple to serious bids from down south , Sinclair being favourite to move on if an acceptable bid is received.

Guest fredthecheesecloth

Kyle Hutton...first fivision next season? Laughable. The guy was a cut above and WILL get a good move/stay at Rangers.

With regards to giving Lawless and Muirhead 2 year deals, how would we feel right now if he had only given a 1 year deal to Sinclair, who was also a young unproven player when we bought him.

I advocated one year plus options. If the player is good, exercise the option(s) or negotiate a new contract. If the player is a dud, don't exercise the option(s).

And if the player refuses to take up the option?

It can be that the club has the option, the player has to go alpng with what the club says, but that may demand a higher salary as less certainty with their situation. Berbatov is in that situation at Man Utd, he wants to leave, Man Utd want him to leave but they're exercising a years option on his deal to get a fee for him.

It may be that there's clauses in the deals, you have to play so many games etc, we're not to know.