One For Later Perhaps

More pressing matters occupy our minds at the moment, but it's 3 or 4 years now since David Beattie stood in front of the fans and asked them to cut off the Jags Trust at the knees and take a leap of faith with him and his team. A lot of the boardroom deadwood has gone since then and the club is probably fresher and more stable than it was before. All of which is commendable.

But I definitely remember being told by wiser heads than me that this was also the way to increase the influence of the fans in the running of the club. Unhelpful old cynics like myself have largely kept out of the way since then. So as you look around at statements coming thick and fast from other clubs, how content are you with the respect and influence supporters have at Partick Thistle, even when you resort to the old gun-to-the-head "I'm never coming back" routine?

I'm too long out of it now to be able to judge, so when the dust settles on this humiliating little skirmish, I'd just be interested to hear how that's working out for you guys.

Yours in sport, etc etc.

Until the last few weeks the relationship between board and fans was the best it had been for years.Wasnt perfect but was decent enough that fans were starting to trust them with the direction they were taking the club in. This episode has given that cordiality a swift kick in the balls.

Only way out of this current situation is for the club to come out right after the SFL meeting and say that they have listened to the detailed proposal and its a bag of shite and we will be voting against it.

Can't disagree with any of that.

Change, especially when it's rushed through, is very rarely change for good. Something everyone should bear in mind just now.

I do think though that a few of the cynics that used to sit on the sidelines & watch things like a once strong Jags Trust, mostly singing from same song sheet & on a winner with their own 'lottery', wither & ALMOST die (found out this week that it apparently still exists due to some old h u n ex journo slate it's spokeswoman!) are now finding a voice after years of saying nothing. Maybe I've just come into the correct age bracket? ;)

Propco or no Propco, Beattie can do what he likes. I'm out of PTFC if Newco end up in SFL1 after this vote or league reconstruction sees us jump ship to an SPL2.

As I said on other thread, fan ownership is what ultimately I'd want from here but will it come with PTFC in it's present form? Who knows.

Maybe if there's enough of us it would have to go down the FC United of Manchester route & then one day...

Gone off topic from opening post now I know but...

As a wise man once sang:

"you may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one" :)

Until the last few weeks the relationship between board and fans was the best it had been for years.Wasnt perfect but was decent enough that fans were starting to trust them with the direction they were taking the club in. This episode has given that cordiality a swift kick in the balls.

Only way out of this current situation is for the club to come out this weekend and before the SFL meeting and say that they have listened to the clubs support and looked at the detailed proposal and its a bag of shite and we will be voting against it.

Agreed on your first paragraph, amended your second one, please don't mind i hope?

With regards the OP and "how content are you with the respect and influence supporters have at Partick Thistle", nothings really changed though, new emperor, same old clothes.

Thanks for the responses.

I take Junior's point that relations have been (or maybe seemed) better, but it's a bit like they say about free speech - it's only when somebody says something awkward/offensive/unpopular that you find out if you've really got it. This past week has been the acid test and it looks like a massive fail to me.

Reading these boards the last few days, the thing that strikes me most is that there's no shortage of articulate people who "get it". And yet the only way you can even hope to impact on Mr Beattie's intentions is by threatening to walk away from the club you love. That's a terrible state of affairs. I know the very mention of this comes with a lot of baggage at this club, but I'm just suggesting gently that you might at some point want to organise yourselves.

Edited by Double Ugly

Slightly offtopic, but one thing JJ did say (and the only thing i agreed with him on) in his Newco thread was to note the return of your blog. Good to see it back, and your reasoned and articulate letter to DB. Look forward to more from you in the coming days, weeks and months.

The club board's relations with fans are always good when the fans are dis/unorganised. Any semblance of a body of fans getting it together to ask awkward questions and the shutters go up.

The almost universal disapproval of 'newco' in SFL 1 and the drip-drip-drip of information from Firhill seem to confirm this idea.

Greig suggests fans get organised. I'd like to add (again) that the best way for fans to organise is to meet socially, not something that's happened since the days of ptfc.net.

that was an astute move by david beattie to undermine the only really authoritative vehical of articulating fan power with all that stuff with the jags trust. it was sad because it seemed that peeps were unable to differentiate between the wrong sorts being within the trust and the trust being toxic as an institution. maybe malcontents should force an egm and get some fan power into the mix.

eternal return and all that...

i remember from the ptfc.net days we had a meet up in munns one night, which had a good turnout.

if memory serves me right a few subcrawls were organised too.

it's obvious that this board aren't listening to the fans about newco, so we need to get organised and fast

Go on then Andy, mobilise the troops!

Only way out of this current situation is for the club to come out right after the SFL meeting and say that they have listened to the detailed proposal and its a bag of shite and we will be voting against it.

Totally agree with Junior here.

The bridges most certainly were being (re)built. Beattie is a lot more media savvy than Cowan, Hughes, and McMaster put together. A lot going on behind the scenes as well which improved things.

But, if this current BOD votes in favour of newco, not only is all this good work undone, it's a lot more serious than that.

They will have, with one decision, single handedly turned away more fans than any regime before them (now that is REALLY saying something), from which I don't think the club can recover.

That's how serious it is.

Totally agree with Junior here.

The bridges most certainly were being (re)built. Beattie is a lot more media savvy than Cowan, Hughes, and McMaster put together. A lot going on behind the scenes as well which improved things.

But, if this current BOD votes in favour of newco, not only is all this good work undone, it's a lot more serious than that.

They will have, with one decision, single handedly turned away more fans than any regime before them (now that is REALLY saying something), from which I don't think the club can recover.

That's how serious it is.

I totally agree with you on all aspects.

We can only hope he doesn't vote for them.

I met Stuart McPhee at st mirren park tonight, he's working for the SPL now, he believes thistle should vote yes to newco in the first.

Unfortunately he didn't seem to register that any money we would get from this, would come to us anyway sooner or later, but that we should take the quick fix to cover the rugby loss.

I parted with... It's all very well the club voting yes to get that quick fix of cash... It's a pity the team will be running out at Firhill to less than 1000 fans every second week if it happens.