Partick Thistle Vs Ayr United

jordan_a

Fox

Muirhead Paton Rowson Archie Bannigan

Welsh Murray Lawless

McGuigan Elliott

more of a 3-5-2 with Lawless in a kind of free role , well thats what it looked like to me.

Thought we played ok , controlled the game for most of it apart from maybe 5 mins after they scored. Goals were all well worked espec Lawless first goal which was from a quick throw in( :shok: ) from Sinclair to Erskine who crossed leaving Lawless a easy finish. His 2nd was a nice wee flick up and volley past the keeper. Elliotts was a good first time shot from outside the box that the keeper wasnt expecting as he didnt move.

Murray will be the key player for us this year. My St mirren supporting m9 says he wont do much apart from kick **** out of anyone that comes near the midfield, plus IMO it will leave Welsh to roam forward which he did when he scored last night.

Not getting carried away after being reminded of the pre season when Stephane Bonnes looked like the French Pele but we look to have a settled team with a decent bit of pace about them plus from the games at Alloa and last night we actually seem to be shooting a lot more than last season.

Its great to be back talking football again :D

Coulddn't make this game, but from all accounts it was a cmnforatable victory and a decent result.

Given all the nonsense spouted pre-season about Armageddon, is it just my normal pre-season optimism coming to the fore or does it look like wecould be in for an enjoyable season

Edited by stillresigned

Really encouraging performance from everyone.

I think Elliot is playing his way into the starting line-up; I thought he was excellent last night. A full pre-season appears to be doing him the world of good as he's looking in decent condition and took his goal very well. He also hit the post with a great shot on the turn after a good cross from Muirhead.

Don't want to put unnecessary pressure on him but Lawless looks like he could replace Cairney or at least give us the same kind of threat that he did; nippy, skillful and isn't afraid to take players on. I think he played out wide for Motherwell and when on loan at Albion Rovers but he's played more centrally for us and certainly doesn't look out of place. Looks like a very good bit of business by Jackie.

Thought Muirhead also looked good despite the Ayr left-back digging at him all night. Able to get up the wing to support but, more importantly, appears to be a good defender. Looks a more solid option at right back/right wing-back than O'Donnell, in my opinion.

Just like Elliot, I think Bannigan is quickly making himself a first pick; another great all-round performance. One ringing endorsement for him is that I still don't really know whether he's better in midfield or at left back - he's been excellent in both.

I like the idea of Rowson at centre-half more than the reality of it. I think he could be quite effective as a sweeper, though. A central defensive pairing of Rowson and Archie is just asking for trouble, in my opinion.

Elsewhere, I thought Paton had a very good game, Shug was quietly effective and big McGuigan needs a couple more games as he looked a yard or two off the pace. Welsh has a bit of class about him, never rushed on the ball and uses it well. If he can add more goals to his game, I don't think he'll be around for long. Erskine set up two of the goals when he came on and didn't do much else but can't really argue with that.

One of the most encouraging things from my point of view is the strength in depth we've now got. We've got an array of versatile players and there is decent competition for most positions. Still think we could do with another striker. Would be interested to know what Jackie intends to do with Campbell, Fraser and Lindsay as they've not really been involved yet.

It's great to have to football back.

PS. F*ck the H*ns.

PS. F*ck the H*ns.

This may well come to pass before the month is out. One good thing about the SFL doing the right thing is we will no longer be involved with all that nonsense and can get on with enjoying our season (while laughing from the sidelines).

Really encouraging performance from everyone.

I think Elliot is playing his way into the starting line-up; I thought he was excellent last night. A full pre-season appears to be doing him the world of good as he's looking in decent condition and took his goal very well. He also hit the post with a great shot on the turn after a good cross from Muirhead.

Don't want to put unnecessary pressure on him but Lawless looks like he could replace Cairney or at least give us the same kind of threat that he did; nippy, skillful and isn't afraid to take players on. I think he played out wide for Motherwell and when on loan at Albion Rovers but he's played more centrally for us and certainly doesn't look out of place. Looks like a very good bit of business by Jackie.

Thought Muirhead also looked good despite the Ayr left-back digging at him all night. Able to get up the wing to support but, more importantly, appears to be a good defender. Looks a more solid option at right back/right wing-back than O'Donnell, in my opinion.

Just like Elliot, I think Bannigan is quickly making himself a first pick; another great all-round performance. One ringing endorsement for him is that I still don't really know whether he's better in midfield or at left back - he's been excellent in both.

I like the idea of Rowson at centre-half more than the reality of it. I think he could be quite effective as a sweeper, though. A central defensive pairing of Rowson and Archie is just asking for trouble, in my opinion.

Elsewhere, I thought Paton had a very good game, Shug was quietly effective and big McGuigan needs a couple more games as he looked a yard or two off the pace. Welsh has a bit of class about him, never rushed on the ball and uses it well. If he can add more goals to his game, I don't think he'll be around for long. Erskine set up two of the goals when he came on and didn't do much else but can't really argue with that.

One of the most encouraging things from my point of view is the strength in depth we've now got. We've got an array of versatile players and there is decent competition for most positions. Still think we could do with another striker. Would be interested to know what Jackie intends to do with Campbell, Fraser and Lindsay as they've not really been involved yet.

It's great to have to football back.

PS. F*ck the H*ns.

I definitely wouldn't have Rowson playing in a back four but in a three-man central defence I think he looks very good playing sweeper. Given that he is essentially a midfielder, he is able to bring the ball out of defence and link up with the midfield, which he did time and time again last night.

My personal preference is for a flat back four, but the three at the back formation seems to suit the players we have.

...I like the idea of Rowson at centre-half more than the reality of it. I think he could be quite effective as a sweeper, though. A central defensive pairing of Rowson and Archie is just asking for trouble, in my opinion.

Elsewhere, I thought Paton had a very good game...

Re. Rowson, one of my all-time favourite Jaggos. NOT , though, at CB. Last night he lined up in the middle of Paton and Archie in a back three, but even against a very raw Ayr he never looked quite comfortable. He's great at the back of midfield, bossing things, or at the front of a diamond if he has support behind. Fair enough to Jackie trying some new stuff, but hopefully Rowser will be back to a more familiar no.8 role once the action starts.

As for Paton, I agree. One thing I like about him is that he never shuts the fk up, talking even the more experienced guys around him through the game. Lang may his one-footed lum reek.

Finally, a very early contender for the season's sweariest man: the mad old drunk in the Ayr end who gave endless loud abuse to both Bannigan (ex-Ayr, so fair enough) and Muirhead (fk knows why!) from start to finish. Points to the mad auld Ayr jackie: football needs more like you.

Wee bit off topic, but going back to the Alloa game last week I don' think this has been mentioned......

Did anybody else notice the Alloa players (Subs, presumably) who, after their pre-match warm-up,

climbed into green wheelie bins full of water next to the scaffolding over by the main stand? :frantic:

Is this the 2nd division equivalent of an ice-bath?

Re. Rowson, one of my all-time favourite Jaggos. NOT , though, at CB. Last night he lined up in the middle of Paton and Archie in a back three, but even against a very raw Ayr he never looked quite comfortable. He's great at the back of midfield, bossing things, or at the front of a diamond if he has support behind. Fair enough to Jackie trying some new stuff, but hopefully Rowser will be back to a more familiar no.8 role once the action starts.

As for Paton, I agree. One thing I like about him is that he never shuts the fk up, talking even the more experienced guys around him through the game. Lang may his one-footed lum reek.

Finally, a very early contender for the season's sweariest man: the mad old drunk in the Ayr end who gave endless loud abuse to both Bannigan (ex-Ayr, so fair enough) and Muirhead (fk knows why!) from start to finish. Points to the mad auld Ayr jackie: football needs more like you.

Muirhead is ex-AUFC youth academy. Some fans never let it go!

Wee bit off topic, but going back to the Alloa game last week I don' think this has been mentioned......

Did anybody else notice the Alloa players (Subs, presumably) who, after their pre-match warm-up,

climbed into green wheelie bins full of water next to the scaffolding over by the main stand? :frantic:

Is this the 2nd division equivalent of an ice-bath?

Maybe they are all just fans of the Goon Show.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0EBIZahkig