Football Rules

sigesige00

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

surely, as stated on the other thread, you want football to be metric.

and with that, it should be 100 minutes?

50 minutes each way?

No, please read what I wrote. I am suggesting the change from 90mins running time to 60mins playing time.

And play ends when the ball is dead for the reasons except fouls after full-time (like Rugby).

No, please read what I wrote. I am suggesting the change from 90mins running time to 60mins playing time.

And play ends when the ball is dead for the reasons except fouls after full-time (like Rugby).

please read what i wrote... i am suggesting as with the playing surface dimensions moving to a metric measurement, that you should also want a metric measurement for game time.

Yep. I'd go with the 100 minutes because it clearly ties-in with the metric system. 50 minutes each half on a metric pitch using a ball of standard metric weight and dimensions. The width of the white lines should also be standardised and within the metric system (did you see how thin the lines were at Alloa? Shocking! And so far no reply to my email to FIFA on the subject)

Does anyone know if the size of the goals is measure in metric? I for one would be fascinated to know. And if they are in metric, have they grown or shrunk since the days Great Britain shunned the metric system and staunchly & steadfastly stuck to Imperial measurements? If games in this country are played using goals of Imperial dimensions, surely due cognisance should be taken during European and International fixtures played abroad. I suggest 0.5 goal should in this case be awarded to the British team for hitting the woodwork. Similarly for foreign teams playing here.

Also for in-depth discussion please: grass depth. Is this standardised? And if not, why not?

*awaits deletion

I do not understand what you are saying. Seconds/Minutes/Hours are metric system.

Alas, that's not quite true: there are 60 seconds in an minute and 60 minutes in an hour, therefore we should reformulate playing time around 100 second minutes and 100 minute hours.

And while we're at it, there should only be 10 players in a team.

The number 10 shirt should be worn by the captain.

All stadia should have 10,000 seats (er, flashback, maybe not!!).

All catering packages should be priced at £10 each (eg a Scotch pie, a steak pie, a bridie, a bovril, a coke and a bag of crisps); pies to measure 10cm in diameter.

Pay at the gate admission set at £10 a head (weans free) and £100 for a ST.

Player transfers to be in multiples of £10,000; diddies free. Team colours - either hoops or stripes - to contain exactly 10 hoops or stripes.

Suspensions of 10 games for 10 yellow cards.

100 point deductions for teams going into administration for the 10th time.

TV rights to be negotiated in multiples of £100,000.

Admin: please delete all posts that are not as serious as this one.

Edited by Blackpool Jags

I cannot understand why football fans are so unserious about football rules.

How can they tolerate the bullshit rules such as running time and additional time? Look at Futsal. Futsal is played in the rule of 40min playing time. Far more just than 11-player football.

I'm not sure that you are going to get a serious conversation about such needless proposals. There has never been an issue with the size of the pitch, the size of the goal, the need for a 6 yard box or playing time.

Size of the pitch has been a serious issue. Many pitches in England are too small for international games. The same can be said about Scotland. Tynecastle pitch is too small for European competitions.

And playing time has been a debated issue in Japan. In Japan, the actual playing time is shorter than Europe, because the referees are more strict on fouls. Many suggest the change from running time to playing time. And I believe that the present running time system has too many problems. Do you know any other sport which has the rule of running time and additional time?

What is this "futsal"? And why don't you watch that instead of football if it's so perfect? Or perhaps more appropriately why don't you accept that there are rules to each and every sport. Some are quirky. Some are reasonable....and not everyone will agree which is which.

For an indication of how you are starting to get right on my left nipple, I'll pretend to be you for a minute and you can pretend to be anyone you like:

From: http://www.futsal.com/index.php/futsal-rules-of-the-game-summary

LAW 1 - The playing court. Let's dispense with this one, too easy.

LAW II - The Ball

· Size #4 WHY NOT SIZE 5???? Makes much more sense as it's half of 10. Why is no-one taking this question seriously??

· Circumference: 62-64 cm WHY NOT 50-55 cm??? Are they CRAZY??

· Weight: 390-430 grams TOO LIGHT!! OMG MY HEAD IS GOING TO EXPLODE!! I THINK I'LL WRITE TO FIFA AND MAYBE ALEX SALMOND

· Bounce: 55-65 cm on first bounce. CRAZY RULE!! CRAZY CRAZY!! WHY DOES THE BALL HAVE TO BOUNCE??? WHY NOT HAVE KICK OFF LIKE PROPER FOOTBALL??

· Material: Leather or other suitable material (i.e., not dangerous) LEATHER IS DANGEROUS!! THE BALL SHOULD BE MADE OUT OF KITTEN FUR!!!

Need I continue ya maniac??

What is this "futsal"? And why don't you watch that instead of football if it's so perfect? Or perhaps more appropriately why don't you accept that there are rules to each and every sport. Some are quirky. Some are reasonable....and not everyone will agree which is which.

Futsal and 11-Player Football are both under the FIFA control. While the pitch size and player numbers are different, these are fundamentally same sport in the point that players score goals by using legs.

I cannot understand why you refuse to discuss the shortcomings of the 11-player Football. The running-time and additional-time system is clearly ridiculous. Why should I not discuss about the change of such a ridiculous rule?A

And it is sad that some people have destroyed the atmosphere of serious discussion by unseriuous posts. Admins should delete such posts.

curioulsy, it isn't. don't know why. however, it is a rule change that, amongst others, for which fc barcelona has been lobbying.

I think that the reason is that there are stadiums in which both football and Rugby (Union or League) are played. The grass-depth of football and Rugby are different.

I think that the grass-depth should be same for Football, Rugby Union, and Rugby League. Probably 24mm or so?

I think that the reason is that there are stadiums in which both football and Rugby (Union or League) are played. The grass-depth of football and Rugby are different.

I think that the grass-depth should be same for Football, Rugby Union, and Rugby League. Probably 24mm or so?

10 or 100mm for me, retains that metric conformity.

Football goal and pitch size:

Goal -- 8m*2.5m

Goal line -- 68m

Touch line -- 105m

Penalty Area -- 40m*16m

Goal Area -- abolition

Penalty Spot -- 12m from the Goal line

Centre Circle, Penalty Arc -- 10m radius

Corner Arc -- 1m and 10m radius

Like Rugby, a ball on the goal line and touch line is out-of-play. Therefore, when the ball hit the goal, the ball is dead and corner-lick or goal-lick is taken.

Futsal and 11-Player Football are both under the FIFA control. While the pitch size and player numbers are different, these are fundamentally same sport in the point that players score goals by using legs.

I cannot understand why you refuse to discuss the shortcomings of the 11-player Football. The running-time and additional-time system is clearly ridiculous. Why should I not discuss about the change of such a ridiculous rule?

Ridiculous because YOU say so?

And it is sad that some people have destroyed the atmosphere of serious discussion by unseriuous posts. Admins should delete such posts.

Serious discussion??? You are a wind-up merchant!! Your posts are all about "why are goals these dimensions and not these?"..."why do football games last 90 minutes and not 80 minutes?" If yer auntie had baws she's be your uncle! That's why!

And if we changed all the rules of football to your rabid nonsensical rantings we'd have..... FUTSAL

As for your remark about deleting posts you don't like.....right ye are then, Kim Jong-un. I'll expect yer boot-boys round my door seeking an explanation to my "off message" remarks.

Who IS this muppet??

Serious discussion??? You are a wind-up merchant!! Your posts are all about "why are goals these dimensions and not these?"..."why do football games last 90 minutes and not 80 minutes?" If yer auntie had baws she's be your uncle! That's why!

And if we changed all the rules of football to your rabid nonsensical rantings we'd have..... FUTSAL

As for your remark about deleting posts you don't like.....right ye are then, Kim Jong-un. I'll expect yer boot-boys round my door seeking an explanation to my "off message" remarks.

Who IS this muppet??

Your post is silly, but I feel I have to answer.The

The reason I am suggesting 8m*2.5m goal instead of 7.32m*2.44m is:

The "7.32m*2.44m" is clearly result of yard system, and sports should go metric,

And a 8m*2.5m goal will mean larger number of goals, thereby reducing the number of draws.

"why do football games last 90 minutes and not 80 minutes?"

You clearly did not understand what I had written. I suggested the change from running-time/additional-time system to playing-time system. I think that no rational person support the running-time/additional-time system. I cannot understand why there is at least one person who cannot understand the absurd nature of the running-time/additional-time system.

Do you hate Futsal? The rules of Futsal is far superior to those of 11-player football, because Futsal rules were created much later than 11-player football. So what's wrong about introducing Futsal's rules (such as sin-bin, kick-in, unlimited substitution, playing-time, etc) to 11-player football?