New Additions To The Pt History Archive

stuthejag

Hi Stu, the waterlogged pitch is from 10th Feb 1959, we were due to play Falkirk. i'll try to be precise with these pics.

Durachdan,

Eddy

Hi Stu, the waterlogged pitch is from 10th Feb 1959, we were due to play Falkirk. i'll try to be precise with these pics.

Durachdan,

Eddy

Don't think so. We'd already played Falkirk at home that season.

Pretty sure this is during the big freerze of 62/63 when the fixture against falkirk would have been the only senior game in Scotland. I remember the water coming up through the pitch about half an hour before kick-off. The sun came out, melted the frost and the pitch became waterlogged. We all got tickets on the way out.

Pretty sure this is during the big freerze of 62/63 when the fixture against falkirk would have been the only senior game in Scotland. I remember the water coming up through the pitch about half an hour before kick-off. The sun came out, melted the frost and the pitch became waterlogged. We all got tickets on the way out.

Absolutely correct. This was indeed in 1963, probably the first Saturday in March. As you say there had been a thaw and Thistle were desperate to get the match played ( cash flow and all that!) Falkirk were the planned opponents. The big freeze had been so severe that the frost had penetrated deep into the ground.The top few inches thawed but underneath it was solid, nowhere for the water to go. I can still hear the loud scraping noise as the groundstaff desperately tried to sweep it off. We were given vouchers as we left the ground. As I remember it, our first match came the following week at Love Street where we drew 1-1 with St Mirren.

Always pleased to be corrected on detail. I've checked my source at the Scotsman archive though and it has another photo, same date, with an irate crowd outside Firhill because the game was called off at 2.45pm.

Can anyone confirm this either way?

Durachdan,

Eddy