Pttv: Morton Highlights

fritzy

The highlights literally give a different view of the game and often I change my opinion after seeing incidents from another angle...and with less of the raging Thistle bias which I have at the game. In this case , the highlights simply confirmed what I thought at the time...I can't see anything wrong with the disallowed goal, the keeper fumbled it...Forbes made a good interception, never a foul & a ludicrous booking...his second challenge was fractionally late and not malicious. Refereeing is very difficult but Mr Madden seemed to be on a bit of an ego trip.

Good editing job...the only major incidents I would have liked to have seen were the absurd booking of Sinclair and the foul on him 60 seconds later.

Smith didn't look entirely convincing but our main problem was not winning headers in our own box.

I am now in no doubt - a good keeper would have stopped both their goals. First one - Smith palmed it straight to Hardie instead of out of play/to the side, second one he couldn't decide if he was coming for the cross or not, as a result did neither and ended up on his arse, a good keeper would either have taken the cross or been in position for the short.

Sorry I gave Smith the benefit of the doubt after the Hamilton game but I will welcome Fox back. Hope the majority of Jags fans will do, always felt he was harshly criticised

I couldn't get to the game due to work commitments & reading the forum after it i was looking forward to the highlights, especially the controversial incidents. My opinions based purely on the highlights

Disallowed goal - to me Craig backed straight into the keeper & the ref was entitled to give a foul, he was well placed to see it. We would've been raging if the opposition scored like that against us & it was allowed

Forbes 1st yellow - ref was only 3 yards away & if he deemed it a foul & persistent fouling then nobody can complain

Forbes 2nd yellow - soft but really stupid to make that kind of tackle in an area where there is no danger, especially already being on a yellow

Smith - not great but couldn't have done much with either goal. The 1st was probably too near him for him to have parried it to the side

Morton player blocking free kick - unbelievable, the assistant is right next to it yet gives a goal kick, bizarre

Penalty claim - arms were at his side & ref was probably wrong side to see it, so probably no chance of getting a pen there

The biggest reason for the defeat imho was the inability to add another goal or 2 when we were on top.

Onwards to tomorrow and Wednesday, 6 points are a must

• Members

For me Craig was watching the ball all the way for the disallowed goal. Gaston could quite easily have punched the ball away, decided to try and grab it and got it wrong. far too much protection given to keepers these days. Thought Smith initially made a good save for the first goal but Muirhead got caught ball watching and allowed Hardie to peel off and get an unchallenged shot at goal away. The second goal is an absolute nightmare for the whole defence! First Muirhead doesn't get tight enough and let's O'Brien get his cross in, Conrad can be excused, probably in the correct position in case O'Brien beats Muirhead and the ball was just too high for him, then one of Archie's few mistakes on Saturday allowing MacDonald to get a jump ahead of him to the cross. If Archie hadn't been caught flat footed it was an easy headed clearance for him. Don't think Smith could have dealt with the initial cross and you could maybe excuse him the first dive, but his second dive was pitiful and ended up diving under the poorly hit shot when if he had spread himself he could have stopped the shot and allowed a defender a chance to clear. Sinclair and Bannigan were also guilty of switching off both allowing Taggart a free unchallenged strike at goal.

That said, the ref could have quite rightly stopped play and booked Bachirou for the dive on the other wing immediately before Archie cleared and the build up started to the goal. Bachirou fouled at least as much as Forbes throughout the game and then added this dive and still ended the game without a card. I can't imagine the referee's supervisor report for this game will be great!

I think Forbes was extremely unlcuky with the first booking and Hardie was very cute to get him carded. One of his teammates actually comes up and congratulates him for drawing the foul. The fact that Forbes had already given away 3 or 4 fouls prior to that probably didn't help and I was surprised he wasn't booked for the foul just before that given that he had already committed quite a few fouls beforehand. The second yellow was also a poor decision and I'm still certain that Madden was starting to turn away and watch the ball and has reacted to the scream as it looked like a legitimate challenge. maybe 51-49 rather than 50-50, their feet come together as Tidser clears the ball rather than Forbes kicking him. The ref was conned twice by Morton players for those free kicks.

For me Craig was watching the ball all the way for the disallowed goal. Gaston could quite easily have punched the ball away, decided to try and grab it and got it wrong. far too much protection given to keepers these days.

That's why I don't really know if it's a foul or not. I don't have a scooby what constitutes an infringement on the keeper nowadays. Not that many years ago awarding a foul would never have been contemplated and none of the defending team would've even thought of complaining.

I don't even think the referees can agree what constitutes a foul these days! There were two similar incidents in England last week, one of which was given and the other disallowed. At the time I thought it was a good goal and having seen the highlights I'm even more convinced it should have stood. Craig never takes his eye off the ball and Gaston makes a mess of trying to catch it instead of punching clear.