As Chairman, All Things Considered, Would You Ban The Celtic Fans From Firhill?

Would you ban the Celtic fans from Firhill?  

85 members have voted

1. 1. Given the pros and cons, would you, as Chairman, ban the Celtic fans from Firhill?

• Yes, the Thistle fans must stay in the North Stand at all costs.
    • No, unfortunately, the Thistle fans must move from the North Stand.

I appreciate that this an emotive subject for some and less so for others however i don't think a poll to which 70 fans have contributed and which has provided close to a 50/50 split could be said to provide any sort of yardstick. In addition i'm afraid your alternative exit strategy is a non-starter.

A non starter, alas, I fear you may be right. I know it sounds unorthodox but it's not without precedent - the police were quite happy to watch a couple of hundred adults and children walk along the touchline from the JHS to the Northy at the Morton game. And it certainly satisfies the natural segregation objection.

But hey, it seems everybody's alternative proposals are non starters. And there are tens of them.

Which is why we should now be facing up to the ultimate alternative: "Dear Mr. Bankier, further to police safety advice I regret to inform you that we will be unable to accomodate your supporters at Firhill this season. Please be assured that we have explored every angle but have been unable to find a solution which is acceptable to both the police and the established arrangements that we have in place here for Partick Thistle supporters."

Health and safety should be top of the shop for the Chairman. No arguments there.

Jags fans should be the next priority.

Mr. Beattie should fight harder / negotiate more with the powers that be for a Thistle friendly solution.

My tuppence worth?

2,500 to 3,000 Celtic fans restricted to the North end of the Jackie with alternative exit strategies for Thistle fans in the North Stand.

Alternative North Stand Exit Strategy Plan :

Thistle fans exit in a safe and orderly procession along the touchline of the main stand, turning left at the City End, walking along behind the goals, finally exiting at the big grey steel gates where they naturally flow with their own on the traditional exit slope away from the JHS.

Every man and his dog has got an alternative solution. Surely one could click into place to suit all parties?

Ultimately, if all negotiations fail, as we are told they have, then he has no alternative. We simply cannot afford to accomodate Celtic's fans at the cost of several hundred unhappy Thistle diehards.

In my opinion. And, if this poll is any yardstick, it's an opinion that's shared by a significant percentage of the supporters.

If you've ever been to a Champions League match, the away supporters are generally kept in the ground for 10-15 mins after the end to allow crowds to clear. I've been to a few in Barcelona and it's never been an issue - and that's the best part of 90,000 - surely an option for this scenario?

If you've ever been to a Champions League match, the away supporters are generally kept in the ground for 10-15 mins after the end to allow crowds to clear. I've been to a few in Barcelona and it's never been an issue - and that's the best part of 90,000 - surely an option for this scenario?

Surely? Aye ye'd think so! I just can't be a*sed trailing through that singing thread again... I think the official objection to that proposal was something along the lines of "it may upset them and they could rampage the length and breadth of Maryhill Road"... or words to that effect... ye almost couldnae make this c*ap up...

If I were the Thistle Chairman I would explain to Celtic that due to health and safety concerns/police advice we are uanble to give Celtic any tickets for games at Firhill - as the Main Stand which has been allocated for away fans has been deemed unsafe due to previous behaviour by some Celtic fans. I would regret this but Partick Thistle as a club want to show that they are not prepared to mess our own fans about and move the Thistle Singing Section out of the North Stand because of the behaviour of any away support no matter who they are - Thistle fans come first.

I know this will not happen - but should any Celtic fans damage seats in the North Stand (or any stand for that matter), use flares, damage toilets, etc, then the Board should ban them from the next (and possibly other future) home game against them (due to health and safety concerns/police advice).

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Would not deny them access for god sake theyre not all as bad as the green brigade. Id just make the police, stewards etc search each fan for flares and tell them they are putting themselves and others in real risk if flares etc are set off.

Absolutely agree. Polis are too interested in picking on wee boys instead of doing their real job which should be preventing illegal items being brought into football grounds. And while they're doing that, they can also prevent the drunks coming in as well.