Musical Chinese Whisper

yoda-jag

New album due from The Fall tomorrow which is all I need for Christmas really. Meantime, here's a scary rumbler from 1990, bit dodgy in the sound quality, a bit "VHS", but good to see the boys in live (MTV) action nonetheless... "Desperate for entertainment so I turn the TV on, people jumping up and down, then they have the panel on and they talk a lot of wind" He's not far wrong there...

"A Lot Of Wind" by The Fall

Thought I'd get this in before somebody posts another 'boy' song.

I blame me for that - not many choices with "Borstal" I shouldn't think......

You do realise what you've done, though?

Given me a chance to get in with another RS sample from when he was still good.... :happy3:

This version has Rod playing the banjo - something I've not seen him do before.

Mandolin Wind - Rod Stewart

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjKVBj0fmkg

^ Third only to "What Made Milwaukee Famous" and "Only A Hobo" as the best Rod tracks. IMO.

Some fantastic Nina Simone rockabilly action next, from 1959. Yes, Nina Simone does rockabilly. Who knew? I'm not entirely sure as to the purpose of the slideshow but it's entertaining enough all the same...

"Chilly Winds Don't Blow" by Nina Simone

Loving the new Fall album today, good gosh almighty, still vital after 36 years. Looking for anything with the words "Mister Rode" please. Come on Sunnylaw, you can do it for me!

Meantime, I shall need to make do with a track from the first Fall album I ever bought, from "The Wonderful And Frightening World Of The Fall" (1984)

"Oh! Brother" by The Fall

SJ, you did a good thing. I’m due you. :thumbsup2:

Today sees the release of the 31st studio album by the mighty Fall who’ve been churning out excellent records since 1977. The new album is “The Remainderer”, a mini 6 tracker clocking in at just under 30 minutes. My physical copy hasn’t arrived yet but I’ve got the bonus Auto Rip from Amazon to keep me satisfied meantime.

First listens suggest that “Mister Rode” will emerge as the killer highlight. Crikey, Radio 6 might even play this one, although they'll probably talk over the first red herring 40 seconds and fade out the confrontational assault at the very end. Rhythmically intense as passionate as ever, I note they’re back with the old double drummer technique a la “Hex Enduction Hour” of 1982.

It's one of the worlds great mysteries how Mark E. Smith keeps moulding and reinventing the Fall sound no matter the latest recruits. They're in great shape.

Lemon freshness!!!

“Mister Rode” by The Fall

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bqNHVDaWV6o

Oh ho-ho-ho! That's rich comin' fae you! You're the biggest trouble maker on here and fine well ye know it.

Anyway, that's my first offence and it was well worth it to get the new Fall album on a new page. :evil:

Next up, a rather magnificent pop smash from 1962. Exquisite vox and love the strings.

"Tell Me What He Said" by Helen Shapiro

misbehaviour and mischief, fally and folly, some may call it foolish behaviour, some may say it's banter and groovy, somebody may get murdered ..... you can never tell where this whisper is going to turn next ..... :crazy::icon_headfones:

i was first going to join in the recent rod stewart love-in, and offer up somebody special from his 1980 foolish behaviour album. then sunnylaws use of the word groove in latest post above put me in mind of somebody groovy by the mamas and papas, but then i recalled another 1980 release, the triple album Sandinista!. a lot can be said about this album, but i will redirect you to wikipedia where you can find out more (or refresh your memory, dependant on your age).

as for this song from that 36 track album, here is joe strummer with a bit of background information to it:

"We got a phone call from Jack Nitzsche and he said 'We need a heavy rock number for this movie with Al Pacino',so I said OK. I went home and there was this guy in a pool of blood out by the car parking kiosk. That night I wrote the lyric. I gave it to Mick and he wrote the tune. We recorded it and Jack Nitzsche never called back."

the youtube video of this track i have chosen, is from the opening night of the sandinista tour in barcelona on april 27, 1981

somebody got murdered ..... the clash

http://youtu.be/ObW1LD5ZG0Y

Edited by yoda-jag

A cracker form Ryan Adams now. This was originally a Whiskeytown song from the great Stranger's Almanac album. I have seen Ryan Adams twice, once with Whiskeytown at the Cathouse and solo at the Academy. Each time he has been both brilliant and awful in equal parts. The song is 'Somebody Remembers The Rose'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hsT0Dg6lFgA

Edited by The Sunnylaw Jag

Nothing for Honeymoon or, not surprisingly, Beirut in my collection so I've matched on "in".....

To link my two favourite threads of the moment, this one and the Boxed Set one,

here's Way Down in The Hole by Steve Earle - used as the theme song in one series of The Wire someone has combined it in YouTube with scenes from that other blockbuster TV show Breaking Bad

Two for the price of one, then....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_nCdCZlmVNM