Musical Chinese Whisper

yoda-jag

Ah, some fine sludge riffage with simple melodies – they practically invented Mogwai.

This is a rather mighty thread it has to be said – 2,080 links and counting. What’s the world record?

Clinton 'Lord Ivanhoe' George was born in Tobago in 1924 and moved to Port Of Spain, Trinidad, in 1942. He emigrated to London in 1953 and recorded a couple of EP’s worth of his own original calypso compositions for the Pye/Nixa label in the mid 50s. Here, he’s backed by his all-star West Indian group 'The Caribbean Knights' featuring the renowned guitarist Fitzroy Coleman. “Lift The Iron Curtain” dates to 1957 and was written in a time when the secretive Russian’s were launching satellites and making plans to get to the moon. Lord Ivanhoe reflects western paranoia – what else are they building over there?

"Lift The Iron Curtain" by Lord Ivanhoe and his Caribbean Knights

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKkc5ms60sU

Apparently John Lennon was a bit of an insomniac and would channel flick through the night, noting any random lines that he fancied for future lyrics. He got "Whatever Gets You Through The Night" (pedant note: spelled as Thru on the single) from a random preacher on the God Channel! Inspired by George McCrae's "Rock Your Baby", Lennon put a funky groove to the phrase and the track gave him his one and only No.1 in the States late in '74...

The promo vid fades a minute too soon, but some good footage all the same, salright...

"Whatever Gets You Thru The Night" by John Lennon

i go away to another distant galaxy, far far away, for a few days, and come back to find TJR getting all high brow and giving us preamble explanations to his song choices. :shocked: ..... i like your style and effort TJR. :clapping:

so, embrace this new found additional background information giving, i will, but as i am a tired, ageing and now occassionally lazy shortarse, don't expect an abundance of paragraphs.

here is my contribution to the whisper preamble:

roddy's frank account of missing the Firework's due to a work commitment ..... encapsulated in 84 seconds

last night i missed all the fireworks ..... idlewild

http://youtu.be/559U1vdxFBA

^^^ Well those snappy young noisenoiks fairly blossomed didn't they?

Nice to have back on the planet yoda, I look forward to your ambling however short or long... :thumbsup2:

I know I know. As Edwyn Collins famously sang "Just like the Four Tops, I Can't Help Myself" :rolleyes:

This next one was a scorcher in Jamaica in the summer of '95. Riding on the "God Alone" riddim (as they say in a de yard) it worked brilliantly as a collaboration between three distinctive characters of the dancehall scene... Merciless (tough talker), Little Hero (high singer) and Action Fire (gruff chanter).

"Thief In The Night" by Merciless, Little Hero and Action Fire

From the album Lulu (which conceptually is based on Lulu - two plays originally written by the German playwright Frank Wedekind). The majority of the album's composition is centred around spoken word delivered by Reed over instrumentals composed by Metallica, with occasional backing vocals provided by Metallica lead vocalist James Hetfield. Reed wrote the majority of the lyrics.

Upon the albums release, Lulu received mostly negative reviews from music critics, and was slated by many Metallica fans. Even longtime reviewer Don Kaye, who had previously defended Metallica's much-maligned 2003 album St. Anger, wrote on Blabbermouth.net that "Lulu is a catastrophic failure on almost every level, a project that could quite possibly do irreparable harm to Metallica's career.", while Reed has stated that Metallica fans have threatened to shoot him due to the collaboration on Lulu.

Even the recording of the album was problematic at times, with Lars Ulrich (Metallica drumskin beater) admitting at one point, Lou Reed challenged him to a "street fight".

Me, i have the album, only given it a couple of listens since obtaining it, must dig it out and decide if i like it or not, and whether it's a pile of poo or a masterpiece of hidden proportions for literate people (well Reed did say in response to criticism of the album, it was an album "for literate people". :crazy:

little dog ..... lou reed and metallica

http://youtu.be/kR1xEL4kP-8

^ A good idea on paper that album, and it wasn't bad, but would have benefitted from more artful companions... Mogwai or Godspeed types...

In 1957, Ronnie Self's boastful rockabilly anthem 'Ain't I'm a Dog' was a regional hit in the South, but failed to score nationally. He's one bad greaser boy...

"Aint I'm A Dog" by Ronnie Self

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=drvO2A7sHwQ

Sick as a Dog - Aerosmith . This takes me back I bought the 'Rocks' Lp this is from, with my first b'roo cheque (1980) and my dad was raging but hey that's rock 'n' roll. This is still my favourite Aerosmith album and probably one of my favourite songs. It is actually about someone being sick as the lyrics say "Get your head out of the Loo"

^ Good Rock n Roll story, parental rebellion c/w degenerate spewing, although you better hope jaggybunnet doesn't see it or he'll come on and give you a lecture. If he does just point out it was all Thatcher's fault.

I started buying records in 1980 too actually – aged just 11, using pocket money, Tucker Jenkins style scam moneys, milk round wages, that kind of thing. First loves were The Ants and the whole 2-Tone thing which leads me into the next tune which I got on The Selecters debut LP “Too Much Pressure” (1980) although I don’t think I bought it until a year or two later. This tune was originally done by Barbie Gaye in 1957...sort of... “My Collie (Not A Dog)” being a semi-adapted version of "My Boy Lollypop" re-written to extole the virtues of the herb. To throw the police off scent, the track cleverly features a real Collie dog on "barking vocals" - who says The Selecter never had a sense of humour? I never had a clue of course – luckily neither did Mum or Dad!

“My Collie (Not A Dog)” by The Selecter

too late for this old man to write loads ..... but here is a track taken from the bonus disc of the new Editors' release: The Weight Of Your Love (Limited Deluxe Edition) ..... an album that sees a return to form back to the editors of old, after the traditionally difficult 3rd album, which wasn't a patch on their first two.

comrade spill my blood ..... editors

http://youtu.be/9-VQ8PtNKgA

I like how everyone's using their own collections. Bonus points. :P

Well, I don't have to look too far for the next one... an excellent tune from their debut album "The Back Room" in 2005...

"Blood" by Editors

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fSvQfrv8LHY

In a lovely ironic twist edited to remove "The" from Editors :doh:

Edited by The Jukebox Rebel

Blood, Ice and Ashes by The Burns Unit. The Burns Unit is Scottish / Canadian conglomerate of eight songwriters including Emma Pollock ( The Delgados) , Future AKA, King Creosote, Katrine Pollock among others. The album Side Show is quite eclectic and well worth listening to.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ou44FDf6lL0

Being lazy, and copying from wikileaks wikipedia .....

"Dig for Fire" is a song by the American alternative rock band Pixies. The song appeared on their 1990 album Bossanova, and was released as a single in October 1990. The song reached number 11 on the Modern Rock Tracks chart[1] and number 62 in the UK. According to Pixies frontman Black Francis, the song was "a bad Talking Heads imitation."[2]

The song shared a video with another Bossanova track, the brief "Allison," a tribute to jazz musician Mose Allison.

The single version of "Dig for Fire" is mixed differently than the album version and also contains some overdubs.

dig for fire ...... pixies

(giving you a bonus, of the shared vid, but some great live vids of the song on youtube too)

(and there's no 'the' in the band name ..... another oft addition made by many ..... )

Also ..... don't know if others will get same ad, but the ad that preceeds the vid on youtube is davina mccall in a skimpy bikini :crazy:

Edited by yoda-jag

^ Quite easy for me to find tunes - having a degree in nerdism my whole collection is on Excel spreadsheets. I shouldn't imagine I will ever get stuck - unless someone hits me with Teenage Fanclub's "Verisimilitude" :wacko:

"Strong, true, my eyes ain't blue, I am the woman of the ghetto". Damn! No black woman could afford to sit on the sidelines as the nation sifted the ashes of the most incendiary decade in U.S. race relations since the end of the Civil War. Martin Luther King Jr. met his violent death the previous year and the urban landscapes of New York, L.A., Detroit and Cleveland bore fresh scars from economically ruinous riots. The nascent women's movement was urging suburban housewives to question their social and legal status, and for the first time since the mortal chill of the mid-century red scare, intellectuals and students began voicing loud objections to class privilege.

This was a deeply grooved, politically charged, Aretha-styled stunner. From her 2nd LP "Spice Of Life" in 1969...

"Woman Of The Ghetto" by Marlena Shaw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4QKZPacCkyE

Edited by The Jukebox Rebel