Musical Chinese Whisper

yoda-jag

Say It Ain't So Joe - Murray Head. Apparently a song written about Richard Nixon prior to his resignation, in that so many people still believed in him despite overwhelming evidence that he was corrupt. Say it ain't so Joe was apparently a phrase used in the 1919 to Shoeless Joe Jackson when some of the Chicago White Sox where indicted for throwing the World Series. The film 'Eight Men Out' is based around this and in some parts so is Field of Dreams. As for the song there are also versions by Gary Brooker ( Procul Harum) and Roger Daltrey out there.

One of several lyrical collaborations between Nick Cave and Anita Lane, "Dead Joe" is one of Junkyard's best examples of the tack the Birthday Party were now taking as they cut ties with their Brit-goth past and focused instead on a terrifying hybrid of hard rocking, no wave noise. This song begins at quite a clip and ends somewhere short of warp speed. Live, the song was a hectic helter-skelter run, as Cave and the band purposefully staged a race to the finish, lyrics pouring pell mell, while the musicians thrashed with abandon. On vinyl, however, a more controlled approach saw Cave's vocals barely menace the instruments into submission. Bloody froth dominates the ethic of "Dead Joe," its emotion and intent detailing a bitter lack of redemption. The recording sessions, too, were splashed with that blood. Phill Calvert was hanging onto his drum kit by the proverbial string as sessions for Junkyard commenced, and the relationship he had with the band continued to disintegrate rapidly. Unable to nail down the beats for "Dead Joe" to everyone's satisfaction, Calvert was un-stooled and replaced by Mick Harvey. Uneven and patchy, the song at times seems to resemble the behind-the-scenes strife that would soon tear the band apart. ~ (brilliantly) Reviewed by Amy Hanson, All Music Guide

From 1982,

"Dead Joe" by The Birthday Party

Sometimes you remember songs that you want to play and suddenly the opportunity is there and you can't wait to put it on. Following from my earlier questionable one of Johnny Are You Queer, here we have Hall and Oates with Johnny Gore and the "C" Eaters from the brilliant 'War Babies' produced by Todd Rundgren. One wonders had this album been successful how Hall and Oates would have progressed. Listen to it, it something different from them as is the whole album.

from the 3rd FNM album the real thing released in june 1989 ..... the first album to feature Mike Patton, after he replaced Chuck Mosley, who had been the bands vocalist for the first two albums ..... prior to Mosley incidentally, FNM had gone through several lead singers, all of whom lasted briefly, one of these being Courtney Love.

the real thing was the album which was the bands breakthrough album, with the opening salvo three tracks from out of nowhere, epic and falling to pieces all charting and remaining instantly recognisable classics. zombie eaters is track 5 on the album. enjoy.

zombie eaters ..... faith no more

http://youtu.be/qYzehC2xSbs

(this video/version is from their infamous live at brixton academy recording, the only official live FNM release )

I was supposed to be concentrating in work this morning but kept trying to come up with a Zombie song. It took a few hours but I finally settled on two and then just as I got home I started singing this little ditty . . of course it took me another ten minutes to work what I was singing. So here goes Tom Petty with Zombie Zoo.

Not an easy pair of words to match but I found this lurking in my humble collection

At the zoo - Simon and Garfunkel

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qg0IIZGdmJI

and as a piece of useless trivia, Art Garfunkel's brother, Jerome, was a big noise on The American National Standards group for the definition of the computer language COBOL.

a fine opportunity to put this classic one up next ..... composed circa late 1930, with music by Fabian Andre and Wilbur Schwandt, lyrics written by Gus Kahn. It was first recorded in February 1931 by Ozzie Nelson and also by Wayne King and His Orchestra, with vocal by Ernie Birchill. Over 80 years on, it's estimated that more than 60 other versions have been recorded, with one of the biggest selling versions being by Mama Cass Elliot with The Mamas and The Papas in 1968. Other noteable versions have been done by Frankie Lane, Doris Day, Ella Fitzgerald, Louis Armstrong (the latter two having done it seperately as well as a duet), Nat King Cole Trio, Dean Martin, Bing Crosby, Henry Mancini, Chicago, Beautiful South, Tony Bennett and K.D. Lang (again as a duet), Erasure, My Morning Jacket, Micheal Buble, The Courteeners, and this 2011 version which i was delighted to find was on the Eddie Vedder Ukulele Songs album when i got it, an album i mentioned on a previous post.

dream a little dream ..... eddie vedder

http://youtu.be/Twv7z0_STCM

How splendific... apologies in advance if this is bad whisper etiquette, but I couldn't help myself... here's some wiki lowdown...

"Dream a Little Dream of Me" was recorded for the Mamas & the Papas April 1968 album release The Papas & The Mamas. The group had often sung the song for fun, having been familiarized with it by member Michelle Phillips, whose father had been friends with the song's co-writer, Fabian Andre, in Mexico City where Michelle Phillips' family had resided when she was a young girl. "Mama" Cass Elliot suggested to group leader John Phillips that the group record "Dream a Little Dream of Me". According to him she was unhappy while recording the song, objecting to its campiness. However, Elliot herself would later tell Melody Maker: "I tried to sing it like it was 1943 and somebody had just come in and said, 'Here's a new song.' I tried to sing it as if it were the first time."

By the time of the album's release, there were strong indications that the Mamas & the Papas were set to disband, a perception strengthened by the failure of the lead single "Safe in My Garden". Having an opportunity to promote the group's best-known member as a soloist, Dunhill Records gave a June 1968 single release to the "Dream a Little Dream of Me" track with the credit reading - to John Phillips' displeasure - "Mama Cass with the Mamas & the Papas"; in its UK release the artist credit simply read "Mama Cass". Promoted in the US press and on billboards with a photograph of a discreetly but obviously nude Elliot lying in a bed of daisies, "Dream a Little Dream of Me" peaked at #12 on the Billboard Hot 100 that August. In the UK "Dream a Little Dream of Me" reached #11 that September.

Mama Cass died in her sleep at age 32. Sources state her death was due to a heart attack. Elliot died in a London flat which was on loan from singer/songwriter Harry Nilsson. Four years later, The Who's drummer Keith Moon died in the same flat at the same age.

"Dream A Little Dream Of Me" by The Mamas & the Papas

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NLkCzeeR91c

Oh well it's back to the 80's with some obscure Canadian New Wave / AOR / Power Pop. The band is Refugee - Dream on Anastasia from the Affairs In Babylon. One of those albums I first purchased on cassette for my Walkman, then found it second hand on LP and finally a few years ago bought it on CD. You can buy a copy on Amazon for £45.00 if you want as it's hard to find.

I thought this was too predictable given what was left to pick from. Then I remembered it's actually a great song. Not my favourite Tom Robinson song , that would be 'Up Against the Wall' and he did have a few other classics such as 'Too Good to be True' , 'War Baby' and a half decent version of Steely Dan's 'Rikki Don't Lose That Number' So here goes TRB and '2-4-6-8 Motorway'

^ i've got another motorway song :D

another pixies offering, this time from the 4th studio album, trompe le monde (french for "fool the world"). the album includes a cover of jesus and mary chains head on

also, another vid from brixton academy, after my recent FNM offering from there too.

motorway to roswell ..... pixies

http://youtu.be/3hSrR7v8_PI